Cal Athletics statement on the termination of Mo Muqtar

7,517 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by blungld
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

BearGreg said:

An interesting question in our society today is the use or non use of the word "and" when describing people.

Example: Joe Paterno was a hall of fame football coach who positively impacted the lives of 1000+ student athletes AND he was a leader who abdicated his responsibility to young children and society in general by hiring, enabling and choosing to not investigate one his closest assistants who proved to be a horrific child molester.

Some things are black and white. There is no "and". One of those is abusing one's position/power in order to take advantage of others. Another is covering up malfeasance because it might reflect poorly on the party instigating the cover up.

In other words, Paterno was a fraud. He enabled an asst. coach's behavior by not taking action to stop it. He feared what publicizing the actions might have meant to his program/legacy.

Abusive behavior is wrong. Period. There is no "and".

Harvey Weinstein positively impacted the lives of many creative people in Hollywood, including actors, actresses and directors, and...

Bill Cosby positively impacted the lives of ....
Bear19
Horrible that this guy could be at Cal so long. Sexual abuse has been uncovered to merit being the worst scourge in the history of college athletics.
OdontoBear66
71Bear said:

BearGreg said:

An interesting question in our society today is the use or non use of the word "and" when describing people.

Example: Joe Paterno was a hall of fame football coach who positively impacted the lives of 1000+ student athletes AND he was a leader who abdicated his responsibility to young children and society in general by hiring, enabling and choosing to not investigate one his closest assistants who proved to be a horrific child molester.

Some things are black and white. There is no "and". One of those is abusing one's position/power in order to take advantage of others. Another is covering up malfeasance because it might reflect poorly on the party instigating the cover up.

In other words, Paterno was a fraud. He enabled an asst. coach's behavior by not taking action to stop it. He feared what publicizing the actions might have meant to his program/legacy.

Abusive behavior is wrong. Period. There is no "and".

There is no "and" and there is no definition of "is".....And now
okaydo
This Deadspin story on how Sports Illustrated is trying to rehab Luke Heimlich reminds me of this thread:

https://deadspin.com/it-sure-seems-like-nobody-running-any-sports-team-knows-1826085162
blungld
Bear19 said:

Horrible that this guy could be at Cal so long. Sexual abuse has been uncovered to merit being the worst scourge in the history of college athletics.
Yes it is horrible--and if I had been asked to make a list of potential sexual predators in my life, he would have been near the bottom. Maybe that means I have bad radar, or maybe it means these types can hide it well. You don't want to stop trusting other adults, but you also don't want to be vulnerable if predators can gain access and deceive so well. I am not sure how you avoid this situation other than reacting strongly when reported and creating an environment where victims feel empowered and safe to come forward.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.