Bronco Mendenhall's Comments

3,744 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ColoradoBear
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sound familiar?

"The narrative for the in-state player, which are the hardest to get currently, when they choose Penn State, they are praised for it. When they choose Clemson, they are praised for it. If they choose Ohio State, that's celebrated," Mendenhall said. "When they say they're coming to Virginia these are the best players the first question is, 'How come? They don't value football.' That is the perception. And that is the recent history"

Mendenhall noted that the perception is slightly more positive for out-of-state recruits, who are often told about the high-caliber academic reputation of the university.
71Bear
socaliganbear said:

Sound familiar?

"The narrative for the in-state player, which are the hardest to get currently, when they choose Penn State, they are praised for it. When they choose Clemson, they are praised for it. If they choose Ohio State, that's celebrated," Mendenhall said. "When they say they're coming to Virginia these are the best players the first question is, 'How come? They don't value football.' That is the perception. And that is the recent history"

Mendenhall noted that the perception is slightly more positive for out-of-state recruits, who are often told about the high-caliber academic reputation of the university.

This is an instance when perception and reality intersect. Kinda like UVA's west coast colleague......
Bear19
socaliganbear said:

Mendenhall said. "When they say they're coming to Virginia these are the best players the first question is, 'How come? They don't value football.' That is the perception. And that is the recent history"
Mendenhall is a whiner who is blaming everyone else for his problems. He does "sound familiar" - Dykes made an art form of whining & blaming everyone else for his failures.

Who Mendenhall does not sound like: Justin Wilcox (now) and Jim Harbaugh (when he came to furd). Both of these coaches turned the high academic standards of their schools into recruiting advantages.

What a loser.
mdbear
Bear19 said:

socaliganbear said:

Mendenhall said. "When they say they're coming to Virginia these are the best players the first question is, 'How come? They don't value football.' That is the perception. And that is the recent history"
Mendenhall is a whiner who is blaming everyone else for his problems. He does "sound familiar" - Dykes made an art form of whining & blaming everyone else for his failures.

Who Mendenhall does not sound like: Justin Wilcox (now) and Jim Harbaugh (when he came to furd). Both of these coaches turned the high academic standards of their schools into recruiting advantages.

What a loser.
Your comments are ill-informed and lack context. First of all, Mendenhall is not a loser. He took BYU to a bowl game for 11 years in a row before accepting the UVA job. He inherited a terrible UVA team that won 2 games in his first year and went to a bowl game in just his second year. His comments regarding recruiting (if you bothered to read them) were primarily focused on how he does not think most of his current roster is ACC caliber, but he thinks the incoming recruiting class will substantially improve that.
kjkbear
Mendenhall has been consistently successful. I hope Wilcox can come close to matching him.
okaydo
Which city has the better perception, Berkeley or Charlottesvillle?
okaydo

71Bear
okaydo said:

depends on your political persuasion....

Right now, I think Charlottesville has the better perception. However, as we have seen, that could change quickly...
hanky1
okaydo said:

In other words...we should be expecting a game against UVA soon.
socaliganbear
They might wait to see how our UNC series concludes.
okaydo
71Bear said:

okaydo said:

Right now, I think Charlottesville has the better perception. However, as we have seen, that could change quickly...

Let me restate it: Which city has the better perception, Berkeley or Charlottesville, if you're a recruit?

Or put another way: Would recruits be more turned off by a college town famous for white supremacists marching through it or for a college town famous for antifa protesters?
Bear19
mdbear said:

Bear19 said:

socaliganbear said:

What a loser.
Your comments are ill-informed and lack context. First of all, Mendenhall is not a loser. He took BYU to a bowl game for 11 years in a row before accepting the UVA job. He inherited a terrible UVA team that won 2 games in his first year and went to a bowl game in just his second year. His comments regarding recruiting (if you bothered to read them) were primarily focused on how he does not think most of his current roster is ACC caliber, but he thinks the incoming recruiting class will substantially improve that.
In other words, Mendenhall is pubically declaring that his current players are the losers, not hesitating to throw them under the bus. Also that in spite of hiring him, UVA is widely perceived as not caring about football.

Yeah, Mendenhall is a real class act. Very much like Dykes, who had no trouble publically blaming players Tedford recruited.

I missed the news conferences where Wilcox or Harbaugh publically announced the players they inherited were unable to compete in the Pac-12.
hanky1
okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

Let me restate it: Which city has the better perception, Berkeley or Charlottesville, if you're a recruit?

Or put another way: Would recruits be more turned off by a college town famous for white supremacists marching through it or for a college town famous for antifa protesters?
They don't care. You really think 17 year old kids playing football follow current events or think about this kind of stuff.
okaydo
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

They don't care. You really think 17 year old kids playing football follow current events or think about this kind of stuff.

It's fair to say the majority of recruits are black. So you're saying that they wouldn't care about one of the biggest stories last year, which involves race and white supremacy?
hanky1
okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

It's fair to say the majority of recruits are black. So you're saying that they wouldn't care about one of the biggest stories last year, which involves race and white supremacy?
Who says that's one of the biggest story last year? Typical Berkeley bias.

Most kids are busy playing video games, football, and chasing girls.
okaydo
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

Charlottesville is what I'm referring to.

University of Virginia being the No. 2 public university would probably attract students who know about stuff like Charlottesville.

And if not, their parents would notice.

Anyways, my original question, is which school has the better perception? Not whether they have a perception at all.
golden sloth
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

You are classifying all of the potential thousands of D1 football players as only interested in video games, football and partying. Sounds like you are the one with bias.
socaliganbear
Fun feature idea: the ability to lock your own thread.
calumnus
okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

Charlottesville is what I'm referring to.

University of Virginia being the No. 2 public university would probably attract students who know about stuff like Charlottesville.

And if not, their parents would notice.

Anyways, my original question, is which school has the better perception? Not whether they have a perception at all.

We have attracted great, smart, politically aware African American athletes like Jaylen Brown and Demetris Robertson from accross the country due to our "reputation." LeBron James loved hanging out in Berkeley when he was on the Soldiers. Berkeley will not be attractive to everyone, but we just need to find the great players for whom it is a plus.
mdbear
okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

I have lived in both Charlottesville and and Berkeley. I would say that unless a recruit desperately wants to be on the West Coast, Charlottesville has the better perception. Charlottesville is actually regarded as quite liberal, which is why the white supremacists picked it for a protest (they wanted conflict). In terms of attracting African-American athletes, UVA has become a school of choice for children of famous and wealthy African-Americans like Thurgood Marshall, Jesse Jackson, and Julian Bond. Housing is high quality and there are plentiful off-campus options. Berkeley is one of the most interesting and dynamic college towns in America, so I do not want to sell Berkeley short. I would not be on this site if I were not a proud Cal alum.
ColoradoBear
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

In other words...we should be expecting a game against UVA soon.
LOL.

Well, not a bad idea to sign that series up now - I would rather play UVA than UNLV the second go round, that's for sure. (To be exact, the game v UNLV at Boyd Stadium is the one to dump, not the one @ the yet to be named NFL stadium).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.