Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Dawn Brasch

Bears Grab Their QB in Brasch

June 12, 2018

The Bears secured a commitment from Higley (Gilbert, AZ) High School quarterback Spencer Brasch during his official visit to Cal Sunday and Monday. A dual threat QB, Brasch competed 62% of his passes on the season for 33 touchdowns through the air with five intereceptions along with 898 yards and 13 touchdowns on the ground, averaging an impressive 9.9 yards per carry.

"I always wanted to be in California," said Brasch. "So it was perfect that I got an offer from Cal.

"Great school, good program and really nice area and beautiful campus. I'm really looking forward to the education I'll get at Cal and being a part of this program.

"One of the things I like a lot, too, is how nice the coaches are. Coach Tui was super-excited for me and I like all the other coaches, too. It felt like I was really welcomed right away and really a part of the family at Cal."

"I think he is a really good quarterback that also happens to be a very good athlete," said Higley head coach Eddie Zubey.  "And a lot of times you see kids that are really good athletes that happen to be able to throw the ball, but he's a quarterback first, but also has the ability to beat you with his feet and just be aware.  He's a great athlete."

To say Brasch is a multi-sport athlete would be more than an understatement.

"Oh yeah,  I say, which sport doesn't he play," said Zubey.  "As a sophomore last year, he went out for the baseball team.  He was a varsity pitcher.   He was clocked at 86 miles an hour as a sophomore.

"He always runs track.  Track and baseball is the same season here.   So he's playing both sports at the same time.  In his sophomore year he made it to the state track meet in the triple jump and the open 400."  

"This year he decided he didn't want to do baseball, so he still did track again for his junior year and then he decided to join our volleyball team.  Our volleyball team won state.  And he'd never played volleyball before, but it only took like a game or two to get it down.  He's the outside hitter.

"A week before the regular season ended, he stopped playing volleyball because of the football stuff.   Spring ball started picking up.  It started to get more evident that, you know, college football was his calling.  So no matter what he does, he's great.  

"This year he made it to the state track meet in the 4x100, the 4x400 and he was the anchor on both of those, as well as the triple jump.  

"He's also our punter.  He averages 42 yards a punt. He was the emcee of our spring assembly, too.  You know, up in front of all the students.  He's just a good kid.  Great family, he's a superior athlete."

The talented Brasch saw his first varsity time as a young frosh for Higley.

"After his freshman regular season," said Zubey.   "He came up for the playoffs.   He played a couple series as a freshman I believe.   As a sophomore, Spencer was our starting varsity quarterback.  He also played free safety on JV.   So we pulled him up to varsity.   We had three year starter on varsity. After the first game of the playoffs, Spencer was our starting free safety.  He was just a ball hog.  You know, he's 6-3/190 and just a great athlete.  He beat the kid out at free safety in about two weeks."

The program had several high level players in Brasch's sophomore season but after they moved on, Brasch took on more of a leadership mantel last season.

"This year he's really stepped up his leadership role," said Zubey.  "About two weeks after the season ended, he got all the guys together and they started organizing,  going and throwing on their own.   We didn't talk to him about doing any of that stuff.  I'd rather him wait until January, get a little bit of time off, but he wanted to get them working right away.  So he's been out there with those guys.  They're throwing Saturday mornings on their own.   It's been great.  The kids really respect him.  They respond to him.  

"He's a winner. He's only lost three games in high school.   His freshman year, we lost one game.   He went undefeated as a sophomore.  Last year as a junior, we only lost two games.  Ironically enough, all three of his losses are to the same school, Saguaro, which is always one of the top programs around here, with 16 D1 athletes.

A dual threat QB, Brasch competed 62% of his passes on the season for 33 touchdowns through the air with five intereceptions along with 898 yards and 13 touchdowns on the ground, averaging an impressive 9.9 yards per carry.

"He's a legit dual threat," said Zubey.   "The kid has a super strong arm.  He could probably throw the ball through a brick wall.  There's not a throw on the field he can't make.  He's got huge hands. That's always a comment that I get when college coaches shake his hand.  He's got big 'ol paws.

"Another good thing for Spencer is, he didn't throw his first interception until game ten," said Zubey.   "And it was on a tipped running back's screened pass.   He threw four picks on the year and only one of them were legit his fault.  One was on a tipped  running back screen and then he threw one late over the middle.  I think he threw 34 touchdowns and four interceptions. The first one didn't come until week ten.  So he really took care of the ball.  I don't think he fumbled it until the playoffs.  He just did a good job of taking care of the football."

Cal special teams coach Charlie Ragle played a key role in identifying and recruiting Brasch, with his extensive connections in Arizona -his recruiting territory with Cal.

"Charlie and I go back a long time," said Zubey.   "I played at ASU.  Then I GA'd  at ASU and then we coached against each other in high school.  We were head coaches, when he was at Chaparral.  And then he became a GA at ASU for a year.  So we've definitely crossed paths.  He does a great job.  

"Also, he's been on our guy Ty Robinson as well since Ty was a freshman.   He was always saying, 'This kids' going to be special'"  Lo and behold, he's one of the top recruits in the nation.  He does a great job with the kids.  He builds relationships with them and when he's there they can tell he's genuine.  He doesn't pull any punches with them."

Both Ragle and offensive coordinator Beau Baldwin were there to watch Brasch throw before his offer and meet with Brasch and Zubey. 

"It was my first time meeting Coach Beau (Baldwin).  It was great.  We got to sit down and talk a little bit before just about everything.  And having Ragle in the room as well kind of lightens the mood and opens him up a little bit more as well.  They were great to talk to.  They were honest. We got on the board a little bit, talking a little offense and that was fun to do.  So, it was good." 

SMU, NC State and Vanderbilt were top contenders for Brasch before his commitment to Cal.

Discussion from...

Bears Grab Their QB in Brasch

65,164 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
GivemTheAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bear8 said:

packawana said:

oskirules said:

"Dual Threat"
I don't recall any previous quarterback we recruited in recent memory that was described this way.
No disrespect to Spencer but I'm pretty sure that VicV, Gilliam, and McIlwain were/are all described that way.
I think Maynard was described this way or was it Ayoob?

Maynard had the same number of INTs as TDs and he had no real field vision.
OdontoBear66
Daddybear13 said:

Hey thanks for all the kind words about Spencer Brasch. I'm a proud Pappa Bear at this point. I look forward to many "spirited" conversations with all of you! GO BEARS!!

Spencer's Dad
Congrats to your family and your son. If I can speak from experience going to Cal was probably one of the biggest experiences and influences of my life----right up there with getting married to a great lady, having kids, watching grandkids grow.....Go Spencer, and go Bears.
Goobear
Daddybear13 said:

Hey thanks for all the kind words about Spencer Brasch. I'm a proud Pappa Bear at this point. I look forward to many "spirited" conversations with all of you! GO BEARS!!

Spencer's Dad
Congratulations and welcome. Your son will get a fantastic group of coaches and a great head coach. He will be part of a very good team going forward. Enjoy the time as as a parent. It will go fast. Go Bears!
bonsallbear
A couple of comments after watching the highlights. Poise, touch, speed, knows how and when to run, It's obvious the game has slowed down for him at this level. Lots of good measurables. I look forward to his career.
FloriDreaming
KenBurnski said:

Where's the genius that wants Tui gone? Lol. I love our genius commentators that specialize in buttplay and moonlight as college football coaches.
Yah half mil for a position coach who landed one 3* (assuming he even sticks around) after numerous failed attempts over two seasons. Who can possibly question that hire??

I'll let the W-L record speak for the coaching staff. That's the proof of the pudding, and right now it's poop pudding.

The buttplay is funny. I guess you thought that was an insult, my wife and I would not see it that way.
BearlyCareAnymore
Uthaithani said:

KenBurnski said:

Where's the genius that wants Tui gone? Lol. I love our genius commentators that specialize in buttplay and moonlight as college football coaches.
Yah half mil for a position coach who landed one 3* (assuming he even sticks around) after numerous failed attempts over two seasons. Who can possibly question that hire??

I'll let the W-L record speak for the coaching staff. That's the proof of the pudding, and right now it's poop pudding.

The buttplay is funny. I guess you thought that was an insult, my wife and I would not see it that way.

You are such a cliche. Buy in so completely and totally on one coach that despite going through the worst season in school history, despite all evidence of the coach being crap, you carry on an unconditional love affair up to the second he is fired, all the while being an insufferable ass to anyone who doesn't come along for the fantasy. Then your world comes crashing down and you have to deal with the depth of your wrongness and instead of realizing maybe you should take an approach where you maybe observe and think things through a bit, you decide to call everything shyte until further notice. You've just flipped the moron coin to the other side. Traded unconditional love for unconditional hate. Sorry to tell you this, but responding to being a dumbass in one direction by being a dumbass in the opposite direction doesn't average out to being smart.

The team was not shyte last year. We had a reasonable year for a first year coach in program with several losing records under its belt. Wilcox hired a good staff on paper but it must produce on the field. Recruiting has filled some major holes on the roster and gotten back in with local recruits, but we need to amp up our efforts on high level recruits.

In short, Wilcox hasn't proven anything yet. He hasn't proven to be a winner. But he hasn't proven to be a loser either. Your method of calling him shyte until he proves otherwise is moronic and rude. People shouldn't be called shyte unless they demonstrate they are. And under that principle I have no problem calling you a big, steaming pile of...well, I won't be rude even if it is accurate.
LACalFan
Uthaithani said:

KenBurnski said:

This thread has taken a strange turn
NYCGOBEARS
Uthaithani said:

KenBurnski said:

You're lucky. It's so rare to find a wife that'll do that to you.
LACalFan
For the win
NYCGOBEARS
LACalFan said:

For the win

I'm a closer.
AunBear89
NYCGOBEARS said:

LACalFan said:

For the win

I'm a closer.
Pegged it! (rim-shot)
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Mikeman
Rumors are the Aggies are after Sidd Finch Jr for their QB
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

Uthaithani said:

KenBurnski said:

You are such a cliche. Buy in so completely and totally on one coach that despite going through the worst season in school history, despite all evidence of the coach being crap, you carry on an unconditional love affair up to the second he is fired, all the while being an insufferable ass to anyone who doesn't come along for the fantasy. Then your world comes crashing down and you have to deal with the depth of your wrongness and instead of realizing maybe you should take an approach where you maybe observe and think things through a bit, you decide to call everything shyte until further notice. You've just flipped the moron coin to the other side. Traded unconditional love for unconditional hate. Sorry to tell you this, but responding to being a dumbass in one direction by being a dumbass in the opposite direction doesn't average out to being smart.

The team was not shyte last year. We had a reasonable year for a first year coach in program with several losing records under its belt. Wilcox hired a good staff on paper but it must produce on the field. Recruiting has filled some major holes on the roster and gotten back in with local recruits, but we need to amp up our efforts on high level recruits.

In short, Wilcox hasn't proven anything yet. He hasn't proven to be a winner. But he hasn't proven to be a loser either. Your method of calling him shyte until he proves otherwise is moronic and rude. People shouldn't be called shyte unless they demonstrate they are. And under that principle I have no problem calling you a big, steaming pile of...well, I won't be rude even if it is accurate.
Maybe if Brasch and his good long passing arm was under center, Cal wins those close games and goes 8-4. You have to give coach more than one year and some of his own players before you throw him under the bus, Utha.
ddc_Cal
Impressive highlight film, to me at least.

It also looked like Brasch has a couple good receivers to throw to. Any of them on our radar?
Cal_79
wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

Uthaithani said:

KenBurnski said:

Maybe if Brasch and his good long passing arm was under center, Cal wins those close games and goes 8-4. You have to give coach more than one year and some of his own players before you throw him under the bus, Utha.

Unless you read Uthaithani for entertainment, how about dispensing with his ridiculous nonsense by having every one on this board put Uthaithani on IGNORE...
Big C
Daddybear13 said:

Spencer's Dad
Daddybear13, as you continue to read this board, please remember that the vast majority of fans that post here are really good folks and, of the ones that seem like they aren't, well, half of them just want to win so bad that they've lost either their perspective or their reason (or their manners).

Congrats to Spencer and Go Bears!
NVBear78
Uthaithani said:

KenBurnski said:

Caution to all Cal Football parents: stay off of this man's lawn!

Go Bears and welcome to Cal
Eastern Oregon Bear
Yogi Bear said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

joe amos yaks said:

Fantastic! Welcome QB Spencer Brasch.
Go Bears!
Just curious. Is there anything Cal can do that you would approve of?
Just curious. What is wrong with his post?
Wow. Did I screw that up! My sincerest apologies to joe amos yaks.

I was attempting to reply to the message below it from 71Bear:

Quite a day...
Cal beat out their counterpart in Davis for two football recruits on the same day!

I was irritated that once again, 71Bear was finding the worst possible interpretation to some good news. I've noticed him doing that several times before. So I posted my comment. I wish I'd thought about it a bit longer and I probably wouldn't have posted it at all.

I've been having a problem with my tablet lately where I'll click on a link and the tablet will select a link a few lines up above it. It's a weird problem and I mostly notice it here but not often if at all elsewhere. I've probably been taken to the pinned Message Board Code Of Conduct message about 40 or 50 times lately. Other times, I press on the link for unread messages in a thread and nothing happens. However, if I zoom in on the page a bit, the unread messages link works. I probably should consider wiping my tablet and installing Android from scratch but since my issues are almost entirely here at Bear Insider, I hesitate to go to that much trouble. I'm using my PC right now with no problems at all. So, I believe that when I clicked on the quote link, my tablet loaded in joe amos yaks post instead of the one from 71Bear. I wasn't being careful enough to catch the error. My mistake and I apologize for the confusion.
Beardog26
Well said, OTB. I can't help but agree with your comments across the board. I've taken to simply ignoring the asinine nonsense coming from this guy.
GMP
Beardog26 said:

Well said, OTB. I can't help but agree with your comments across the board. I've taken to simply ignoring the asinine nonsense coming from this guy.
I recently found his personal website, as linked from his Twitter account. It's, um, interesting.
Bear19
LACalFan said:

Uthaithani said:

KenBurnski said:

This thread has taken a strange turn
Uthaithani should just be ignored until he decides to clean up his act. Being ignorant of college football is tolerable; Being foul & gross isn't.
Sebastabear
Welcome to Spencer! Thrilled to have you here. You have made a terrific choice.

Welcome also to Daddybear13. Always great to have bearents join us! As you may have gleaned from this thread already, BearInsider is a wonderful and vibrant community but it is not a typical sports message board. The combination of grammar corrections, IT complaints, radically off-topic commentary, biting humor, and decades-long personal feuds is unlike anything anywhere on the internet. We have members here who write posts that are as well thought out and as eloquent as anything you may read in The NY Times and we have posters who would have a hard time thinking their way out of a paper bag. It's a wonderful place but it may take some time to adapt to who to take seriously and who not to (and yes I just ended a sentence with a preposition. Bite me people).

As a brief addendum to the advice about when to participate, I would say a that until the moment your boy takes the field he will most likely be one of the most popular players on the team. Should he become the backup QB he will be elevated to godhood. But once he gets the start, unless he's a combination of Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, Ken Stabler and Joe Montana, I would avoid reading any threads about him like the plague. Just saying.

But again welcome to you both.
okaydo

Brasch was born in 2001.

(20 years younger than Kyle Boller, who was born in 1981.)

That's my big takeaway for those of you feeling young.
LACalFan
GMP said:

Beardog26 said:

I recently found his personal website, as linked from his Twitter account. It's, um, interesting.
Tantra Trump Alchemy
Bobodeluxe
Just don't expect dignified. Congratulations to the whole family.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.