OT: World Cup Thread

35,922 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sycasey
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2034
It seems like some countries don't have any distinguishable cheers during matches like Russia for example. I can hear the crowd supporting their team but their aren't any songs or unified cheers that other countries have. I remember the first round match between Germany and Mexico and all I heard were Mexican cheers and songs, it really does add to the experience of the World Cup even if you aren't a Mexico fan. Thinking about the U.S, I can't think of any other cheer except U-S-A and ole ole ole?
OdontoBear66
oskirules said:

It seems like some countries don't have any distinguishable cheers during matches like Russia for example. I can hear the crowd supporting their team but their aren't any songs or unified cheers that other countries have. I remember the first round match between Germany and Mexico and all I heard were Mexican cheers and songs, it really does add to the experience of the World Cup even if you aren't a Mexico fan. Thinking about the U.S, I can't think of any other cheer except U-S-A and ole ole ole?
I recall the ole ole ole from Brazilian fans taking over the town of Los Gatos in the 1994 WC before, during and after their match with the USA at Stanfurd. I don't think it is an original US cheer.
sycasey
OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

OdontoBear66 said:

So we have South, North and Central America all gone from the World Cup. Wow. Could be an all European semi is Croatia wins.

Meantime go Sweden. The announcers sure have bias to England. Take 'em down.

This tends to happen when the World Cup is played in the European region. Teams from the Americas usually don't do well in those Cups.
Hate to admit the Brits came with it today. The Swedes were totally shut down. So now I shift to England or Croatia (if they make it). Belgium has too many French and well, France is France.

This England team seems very different from the squads that crashed out in the final 8 or 16 before. They are aggressive and take it to the opponent. Really enjoying them.

The 3 teams that have advanced have all been very entertaining. Shame about this Croatia-Russia rockfight.
Again the better side won, but what a gutty effort by Russia. Now to the all Euro semi finals.

And in fairness to Croatia and Russia, their game livened up in extra time, after I posted that comment.
sycasey
oskirules said:

USA fans started doing a lot of "I believe that we will win!" chants in the last WC.
Big C
OdontoBear66 said:

oskirules said:

I recall the ole ole ole from Brazilian fans taking over the town of Los Gatos in the 1994 WC before, during and after their match with the USA at Stanfurd. I don't think it is an original US cheer.
I don't know who first started the "ole, ole ole ole" cheer, but I know German fans were doing it when they won the WC in 1990 (I was in a pub in Munich during the final. The locals "adopted" us,,, my buddy was Mexican American: They called him Maradonna. When Germany scored their goal, everybody threw whatever was in their beer mugs up to the ceiling.)
calumnus
Big C said:

OdontoBear66 said:

oskirules said:

I don't know who first started the "ole, ole ole ole" cheer, but I know German fans were doing it when they won the WC in 1990 (I was in a pub in Munich during the final. The locals "adopted" us,,, my buddy was Mexican American: They called him Maradonna. When Germany scored their goal, everybody threw whatever was in their beer mugs up to the ceiling.)

Wikipedia weighs in
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ol,_Ol,_Ol
OdontoBear66
calumnus said:

Big C said:

OdontoBear66 said:

oskirules said:

Wikipedia weighs in
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ol,_Ol,_Ol

Going to Wikipedia then to google, it sounds like it has spread around the world and through all sports, but its origin is Spanish in bull fighting. Other than that we can argue, Canadian hockey, Welsh Rugby and on and on and on.
concordtom
oskirules said:

There was one moment in one game where I swear I heard the audio tech screw up. It made me think they were piping into the TV broadcast added audio so as to give the impression of a more lively and raucous crowd in the stadium.

Ever stop to think about the Masters? We've had that discussion on here before and there have been newspaper articles on it. The tweeting birds as he lines up his putt are often fake, recordings.
concordtom
Pretty cool games!
Very happy the cheater Luis Suarez and Uruguay is gone, though that goal he and Cavani managed last game was incredible.
Happy to see Brazil and all that gone, too. Go Belgium. Lukaku is The Man! A Lebron James type imposing figure up top.
Of course happy with England going thru, both due to my ancestry and the storyline of them with soccer's history and such.
Re Croatia and Russia, that was my emotional toss up game. On the one hand, I wanted Russia out because they messed up our elections, invaded eukraine, and used nerve gas on brits. On the other hand, it's always great to have a lively home crowd, and that was neat in the Croatia game, for instance. But I'm glad that Croatia won. Any more and we'd be talking about fixed results, doping advantages and the like.

Fun fact, did you know that Luka Modric ran 7.5 miles vs Russia? Wow.

Moving on to Tuesday and Wednesday, I want Belgium over France and England over Croatia.
Then, wow, could England be champs again with a win over Belgium?
I doubt it will happen but that would be cool!
concordtom
Fox people keep saying "this is the best World Cup EVER.

Do you agree, or is it marketing hype?
Cal88
OdontoBear66 said:

sycasey said:

OdontoBear66 said:

So we have South, North and Central America all gone from the World Cup. Wow. Could be an all European semi is Croatia wins.

Meantime go Sweden. The announcers sure have bias to England. Take 'em down.

This tends to happen when the World Cup is played in the European region. Teams from the Americas usually don't do well in those Cups.
Hate to admit the Brits came with it today. The Swedes were totally shut down. So now I shift to England or Croatia (if they make it). Belgium has too many French and well, France is France.
You might have to live through the infamy of a French or half-French team raising the trophy next Sunday, France and Belgium are the best two teams in the final four.

Quote:

I would agree with this, tremendous amount of drama and stunning upsets, only one scoreless draw (a record low), some great goals and comebacks. I think it's at the very least right up there with the best.
Goobear
concordtom said:

No it is true. Best World Cup I have seen by a long shot. I am 54...
okaydo
calbear80
Goobear said:

concordtom said:

This year's World Cup has been amazing. Being in Russia for most of it was once in a lifetime experience (ok, twice in a lifetime because I was also in Brazil for the 2014 World Cup). But, I vote for 1970 World Cup as best ever.

My favorite is still the 1970 World Cup when Pele and Brazil won it all. I think Brazil beat the defending World Cup Champs England by one goal (scored by Jerzinho) in the 1/4 finals. Then Brazil beat a very good Italy team in the finals 4-1 in a dominating fashon.

In the 1970 World Cup, a very good W. Germany finished third (W. Germany won it all in 1974 with pretty much the same team over an excellent Holland side). Getmany's Gerd Muller had something like 12 goals in 1970 World Cup in (I think) one less game than this year's World Cup (try to top that Mr. Harry Kane "I have 6 goals, but, 4 or 5 of those are penalty kicks").

I watched every minute of every game in the 1970 World Cup and loved it all (that was the begining of my becoming sports junkie). Since the games were in Mexico and I was 11 time zones away, i slept all day and watched games all night (quite a thrill for a very young kid).

i am probably biased because 1970 was my first World Cup and I followed everything possible about Pele.

Pele is THE GREATEST footballer of all time. He won the World cup THREE TIMES in 1958 (as a 17/18 year old), 1962 and 1970. Anyone who wants to bring up Ronaldo or Messe needs to be reminded that Ronaldo abd Messe combined have won ZERO World Cups (3 >> 0). Anyone who wants to bring up Maridona needs to be reminded 3 > 1.

Go Bears!
GMP
calbear80 said:

Goobear said:

concordtom said:

This year's World Cup has been amazing. Being in Russia for most of it was once in a lifetime rxperience (ok, twice in a lifetime because I was also in Brazil for the 2014 World Cup)..

My favorite is still the 1970 World Cup when Pele and Brazil won it all. I think Brazil beat the drfending World Cup Champs England by one goal (scored by Jerzinho) in the 1/4 finals. Then Brazil beat Italy in the finals 4-1. In that World Cup, a very good W. Germany finished third (W. Germany won it all in 1974 with pretty much the same team over an excellent Holland side). I watched every minute of every game in the 1970 World Cup and loved it. Since the games were in Mexico and I was 11 time zones away, i slept all day and watched games all night (quite a thrill for a very young kid).

i am probably biased because 1970 was my first World Cup and I folloeed everything possible about Pele.

Pele is THE GREATEST footballer ever. He won the World cup THREE TIMES in 1958 (as a 17/18 year old), 1962 and 1970. Anyone who wants to bring up Ronaldo or Messe needs to be reminded Ronaldo abd Messe combine won ZERO World Cup (3 >> 0). Anyone who wants to bring up Maridona needs to be reminded 3 > 1.

Go Bears!
And anyone citing World Cup titles as the sign of the best individual player needs to be reminded that soccer is a team game, and while a single player can make huge impacts and make teammates better, the discussion should not end on number of World Cup titles. And anyone citing World Cup titles as the sign of the best individual player should also be reminded that World Cup games equate for maybe 5% of a player's soccer career.
calbear80
GMP said:

calbear80 said:

Goobear said:

concordtom said:

This year's World Cup has been amazing. Being in Russia for most of it was once in a lifetime rxperience (ok, twice in a lifetime because I was also in Brazil for the 2014 World Cup)..

My favorite is still the 1970 World Cup when Pele and Brazil won it all. I think Brazil beat the drfending World Cup Champs England by one goal (scored by Jerzinho) in the 1/4 finals. Then Brazil beat Italy in the finals 4-1. In that World Cup, a very good W. Germany finished third (W. Germany won it all in 1974 with pretty much the same team over an excellent Holland side). I watched every minute of every game in the 1970 World Cup and loved it. Since the games were in Mexico and I was 11 time zones away, i slept all day and watched games all night (quite a thrill for a very young kid).

i am probably biased because 1970 was my first World Cup and I folloeed everything possible about Pele.

Pele is THE GREATEST footballer ever. He won the World cup THREE TIMES in 1958 (as a 17/18 year old), 1962 and 1970. Anyone who wants to bring up Ronaldo or Messe needs to be reminded Ronaldo abd Messe combine won ZERO World Cup (3 >> 0). Anyone who wants to bring up Maridona needs to be reminded 3 > 1.

Go Bears!
And anyone citing World Cup titles as the sign of the best individual player needs to be reminded that soccer is a team game, and while a single player can make huge impacts and make teammates better, the discussion should not end on number of World Cup titles. And anyone citing World Cup titles as the sign of the best individual player should also be reminded that World Cup games equate for maybe 5% of a player's soccer career.

You have good points my friend.

I have seen Messe play twice in person (in Bello Horizonte in Brazil and in Camp Nu in Spain) and Ronado play in person once (in Saransk in Russia, two weeks ago to the day, less than 20 meters from where I was sitting). And of course, I have seen Pele, Maridona, Messe and Ronaldo play on TV for their clubs and national teams a million times. They are all amazing players, but, for my money,

PELE WAS/IS THE BEST.

Go Bears!

P.S. ok, maybe, again, I am biased because I have a soccer ball autograghed by Pele with my name on it!
prospeCt
England - France ~ 4 - 3 on penalties, 5-5 FT 120 min

paraphrasing George Eliot, or Ezra Pound, or somebody
English - imagine all tbe people who can understand and speak to you, ftw w an assist from France, Denmark, D etc

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/05/sports/world-cup/spot-the-ball-round-2.html

https://www.theguardian.com/football/shortcuts/2015/jan/14/how-to-spot-the-ball-in-spot-the-ball
"Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it ", if so inclined, & beneficent 🙏🏼
calumnus
calbear80 said:

GMP said:

calbear80 said:

Goobear said:

concordtom said:

Go Bears!

You have good points my friend.

I have seen Messe play twice in person (in Bello Horizonte in Brazil and in Camp Nu in Spain) and Ronado play in person once (in Saransk in Russia, two weeks ago to the day, less than 20 meters from where I was sitting). And of course, I have seen Pele, Maridona, Messe and Ronaldo play on TV for their clubs and national teams a million times. They are all amazing players, but, for my money,

PELE WAS/IS THE BEST.

Go Bears!

P.S. ok, maybe, again, I am biased because I have a soccer ball autograghed by Pele with my name on it!

Whether Pele was "the best" is difficult to say as it is difficult to compare abilities if players from different eras, but in my book he is clearly THE GREATEST as Muhammad Ali will always be in boxing. Legendary. And yes, WC titles are part of that legend, part of that greatness, just like in other team sports like football and basketball.
calbear80
Here are my picks for the upcoming semi-finals and finals:

France 2-1 over Belgium
. Both Belgium and France are very good and have many stars. But, France has #10 Mbappo (sp?) who is the best athletic on the field and will make that one or two briliant runs to score the winning goal.

England 3-1 over Croatia
. England has Harry Kane and Croatia has Mordic. Both have excellent goalies. But, Croatia has TIRED LEGS and England is simply a better team.

Third Place Game:
Belgium 3-1 over Croatia
. Belgium is one of the top three teams in this year's World Cup (along with Brazil and France). Belgium is simply a better team and has more stars and this late in the tournament those tired legs ...(Belgium will have ine more day of rest and did not have to play those two back to back overtime games in 1/4 and semi-finals).

Finals:
France 2-1 over England
. Two good teams with many stars. It will be a great game. But, France has #10 and that will be the difference. (i wish the finals was between Brazil and France where Brazil would win 2-1).

Go Bears!

calbear80
Anyone else watching France-Belgium game now from Saint Petersburg? 0-0, but, Belgium is looking very good.

I was there in that staduim in SPB three weeks ago (Iran 1-0 over Morocco). I miss being there. I shouldn't have come back. Oh well.

Go Bears!
bonsallbear
France looks like the stronger side
GMP
bonsallbear said:

Interesting. I felt the opposite. France is lucky Belgium doesn't have 3 goals already. They had 5-6 really good chances. I thought France only had one or two really good chances.
GMP
Horrendous no-call.
calbear80
calbear80 said:

Here are my picks for the upcoming semi-finals and finals:

France 2-1 over Belgium
. Both Belgium and France are very good and have many stars. But, France has #10 Mbappo (sp?) who is the best athletic on the field and will make that one or two briliant runs to score the winning goal.

England 3-1 over Croatia
. England has Harry Kane and Croatia has Mordic. Both have excellent goalies. But, Croatia has TIRED LEGS and England is simply a better team.

Third Place Game:
Belgium 3-1 over Croatia
. Belgium is one of the top three teams in this year's World Cup (along with Brazil and France). Belgium is simply a better team and has more stars and this late in the tournament those tired legs ...(Belgium will have ine more day of rest and did not have to play those two back to back overtime games in 1/4 and semi-finals).

Finals:
France 2-1 over England
. Two good teams with many stars. It will be a great game. But, France has #10 and that will be the difference. (i wish the finals was between Brazil and France where Brazil would win 2-1).

Go Bears!

Well, so far 1-0.
Goobear
Congrats to France. I think the Belgian coach made a mistake putting Dembele in. De Bruyne should have been the play maker. Dembele was too slow and error prone. Close game though as it relates to chances. Rooted.for Belgium but picked France.
sycasey
Basically a coin flip. France got one to go in.
bear2034
Where are the French hooligans to neutralize the potential English hooligans?
Is there such a thing as a female English hooligan?
Big C
oskirules said:

Where are the French hooligans to neutralize the potential English hooligans?

The French hooligans have mostly all been at the International Brie Festival, but it ends tomorrow, so expect them back in time to show the English hooligans a thing or two about "fromage".

English "Hooliguettes" are extremely rare, but you don't want to mess with them, should there be an encounter.
Another Bear
Hoping for a France-England final...with all the Hooligans Firms in attendance. Talk about a rivalry.
concordtom
oskirules said:

I don't know but I think I need one of those.
concordtom
sycasey said:

And this is why the game of soccer sucks.
Sepa Blatter even admitted to it when he said that the controversy is good for debate in pubs - what an idiot!
The VAR and goal line technology have been great adds, but come on, the French Belgium result was a toss up.
We can look at the highlights and pick any number of plays that could have been goals. And then there were the two incredible non-call fouls on Eden Hazard at the top of the box, not that they'd have been converted.

I have a friend Guillermo in Madrid who says he likes soccer simply because anyone prey much always has a chance. We Americans don't like that. We want justice. But, as is, the game is one where 20 guys run around their guts out, and maybe the ref calls a PK and that decided it. And then we get to debate whether the handball was "intentional" or not. I think that's stupid! But I love the game, still.

Sepa AND trump would make good friends by the way:
Both corrupt.
Both like "show" over substance.
concordtom
bonsallbear said:

Mbappe was so much faster than the guy trying to mark him on a play early on.
Made me think again about if we had Jahvid on the usmnt.
Goobear
concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Sepa Blatter even admitted to it when he said that the controversy is good for debate in pubs - what an idiot!
The VAR and goal line technology have been great adds, but come on, the French Belgium result was a toss up.
We can look at the highlights and pick any number of plays that could have been goals. And then there were the two incredible non-call fouls on Eden Hazard at the top of the box, not that they'd have been converted.

I have a friend Guillermo in Madrid who says he likes soccer simply because anyone prey much always has a chance. We Americans don't like that. We want justice. But, as is, the game is one where 20 guys run around their guts out, and maybe the ref calls a PK and that decided it. And then we get to debate whether the handball was "intentional" or not. I think that's stupid! But I love the game, still.

Both corrupt.
Truly sad that politics always gets into the discussion at some point. We are talking world cup folks. Leave the rest alone or go to a politics board.
sycasey
concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Both corrupt.
Couldn't you say the same about any other sport were there are two evenly-matched teams? Someone has to win. Small breaks will decide it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.