DRob Transferring out

34,381 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Blueblood
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I truly hope this is personal and *not* coaching staff related (Baldwin/Edwards).
59bear
Ouch!
packawana
I hope he's alright.

And our vaunted WR corps is now gone.
tim94501
****in brutal....... best of luck to him.
CalBear916
I knew this was coming. I called it months ago. Best of luck to that young man. Sucks to lose him and Stovall but... NEXT BEAR UP!
socaliganbear
Fortunately, our WR recruiting has been going really well.
travelingbears
CalBear916 said:

I knew this was coming. I called it months ago. Best of luck to that young man. Sucks to lose him and Stovall but... NEXT BEAR UP!
What made you feel like this was coming and for you to call it months ago? This really is a brutal hit to our WR corp. Stovall and DRob were our best receivers!
packawana
socaliganbear said:

I truly hope this is personal and *not* coaching staff related (Baldwin/Edwards).
The timing strikes me as this being a personal matter. This is around the near the end of the first term of summer classes so maybe something happened.
socaliganbear
packawana said:

socaliganbear said:

The timing strikes me as this being a personal matter. This is around the near the end of the first term of summer classes so maybe something happened.
Well, for his sake I actually hope it's not personal. That would be unfortunate. But hard to discount that the rumor of his transfer was strong before last season. Basically like what happened with Aaron Cochran. People knew he'd been sniffing around, then the rumors died down, then he left the following season.
Strykur
In terms of production it's not like we're losing DeSean Jackson or Keenan Allen, and the fact that the pass-happy coach that recruited him is no longer here certainly factors into things.
NYCGOBEARS
There's no way to spin this. Its bad for our team.
CannonBlast
damn
Econ141
Great - excitement level for this year went down by a factor of 5.
Bear8
For a boy from Georgia, the loss of coaches from generally the same area might be tough. Maybe he simply misses home, but I think he is making a grave error by not finishing his education at Cal. We have a much more balanced team looking forward. A veteran line which should give our QB more time to go through progressions and more opportunity for Robertson to create separation. Our defense ought to be far superior to what we experienced the last four years. If we enjoy good health defensively we are going to be opponent's worst nightmare. In all, it stacks up to be a pivotal year and one where DRob could cement his future with the NFL.
okaydo
HAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAH

(I'm not laughing at him. I'm laughing because everything is just so sh*tty. We can only go up from here.)
Another Bear
It's going to take a few seasons to purge the remnants of the Dykes era at Cal because it was that awful.

Best of luck to DRob.
CalBear916
He had liked a few tweets after the season was over about him possibly transferring, then locked his account soon after. A few other hints also lead to that assumption as well.
fatmoon
I think there's a problem with the offense coaches. Baldwin just seems like a very stubborn guy in my eyes.
calgo430
i have bad vibes on this. ng for ouur offense
CalBear916
That was the other thing. I heard he didn't see eye to eye with Baldwin at times.
Blueblood
CalBear916 said:

That was the other thing. I heard he didn't see eye to eye with Baldwin at times.
where's Nevada78 who wanted to bet me a hot dog!
Grigsby
Cal = Chicago Cubs before World Series win
MinotStateBeav
Every OC is stubborn in a sense. You don't get to this level without belief in what you are doing.
UCBerkGrad
DRob was probably the ONE guy we couldn't afford to lose.

I'm beyond disappointed. Sadly, not terribly surprised.
socaliganbear
UCBerkGrad said:

That guy is Pat Laird.
going4roses
MinotStateBeav said:

Every OC is stubborn in a sense. You don't get to this level without belief in what you are doing.

But does that innate stubbornness sometimes cost more that we have to spend at particular moment in time?
going4roses
socaliganbear said:

UCBerkGrad said:

That guy is Pat Laird.

And so goes drob out the door
wifeisafurd
Bear8 said:

For a boy from Georgia, the loss of coaches from generally the same area might be tough. Maybe he simply misses home, but I think he is making a grave error by not finishing his education at Cal. We have a much more balanced team looking forward. A veteran line which should give our QB more time to go through progressions and more opportunity for Robertson to create separation. Our defense ought to be far superior to what we experienced the last four years. If we enjoy good health defensively we are going to be opponent's worst nightmare. In all, it stacks up to be a pivotal year and one where DRob could cement his future with the NFL.
family issues. He probably puts back turning pro one year or more by going home, but family is first.
Another Bear
socaliganbear said:

UCBerkGrad said:

That guy is Pat Laird.
Thank you, now I feel better. I hope Laird kills it this season, and he should.
MinotStateBeav
Why? You don't change your offense to fit one guy. You do find ways to make that guy successful within your offense.
NVBear78
Blueblood said:

CalBear916 said:

We still go to a bowl this year. Wilcox is building a strong team which is greater than the sum of the parts.

And the bet is two Top Dogs...

Go Bears!
going4roses
MinotStateBeav said:

Why? You don't change your offense to fit one guy. You do find ways to make that guy successful within your offense.

Gotcha on the first part
But apparently the second wasn't happening from day 1 I heard
KoreAmBear
travelingbears said:

CalBear916 said:

What made you feel like this was coming and for you to call it months ago? This really is a brutal hit to our WR corp. Stovall and DRob were our best receivers!
For me it was purely anecdotal, but D-Rob never really clicked except for parts of the Davis Webb year, and didn't seem a great fit with Bowers. Seemed to be a fish out of water -- our team identity seems to be blue collar, and he's a Ferrari. With Stovall leaving, I was kind of pleasantly surprised D-Rob was still with us. This is purely just feel. I have no real facts to back it up - just internet proof.
MinotStateBeav
going4roses said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Gotcha on the first part
But apparently the second wasn't happening from day 1 I heard
How is that possible? He played a total of what..1 or 2 games. I don't deny he has fewer opportunities to make a catch than the previous regime, so that is probably a lot more of the issue..but that's speculation and I don't want to put words in anybodies mouth. Personally I would rather have an offense that leans on a running game and has a passing game that works off of it. TBH we don't have a QB right now to be throwing the ball 50-60 times a game either.
KoreAmBear
NVBear78 said:

Blueblood said:

CalBear916 said:

We still go to a bowl this year. Wilcox is building a strong team which is greater than the sum of the parts.

And the bet is two Top Dogs...

Go Bears!

We're building that Wisconsin team. But Wisconsin always seemed to have NFL caliber receivers and running backs to complement the rest of the blue collar team. We need to get some of those in the next recruiting cycles.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.