OT: Steve Carell plays a Cal alum dad, Timothee Chalamet plays his Cal dropout son

4,466 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the movie Beautiful Boy:

(Um, I think the trailer shows UCLA depicting UC Berkeley...that's always the case when you see brick buildings. How many brick buildings are there at UC Berkeley? One?)

Based on the book by David Sheff, Cal alum...
https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Boy-Fathers-Journey-Addiction/dp/0547203888

His son Nic dropped out of Cal his freshman year...

NYCGOBEARS
His kid looks like Mickey Avalon.

https://goo.gl/images/pchXru

tigertim
Yeah Hollywood likes to use UCLA as the stand-in "university campus." Legally Blonde, which ostensibly took place at Harvard Law, was shot there, for example.
TheSouseFamily
tigertim said:

Yeah Hollywood likes to use UCLA as the stand-in "university campus." Legally Blonde, which ostensibly took place at Harvard Law, was shot there, for example.

Yes except for California University of 90210 fame which was actually shot at Occidental College. Notable alum: Steve Sanders.
CalBearinLA
If amy ryan is playing the mom, then any Office fans can see this as a continuation of the story of Michael Scott and Holly.
juarezbear
okaydo said:

In the movie Beautiful Boy:

(Um, I think the trailer shows UCLA depicting UC Berkeley...that's always the case when you see brick buildings. How many brick buildings are there at UC Berkeley? One?)

Based on the book by David Sheff, Cal alum...
https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Boy-Fathers-Journey-Addiction/dp/0547203888

His son Nic dropped out of Cal his freshman year...

I read the book and it made a real impact in its depiction of the damage that guilt and shame can wreak on families in this predicament. I highly recommend it.
Cal Strong!
Comments on this thread suggest bearinsider posters WEAK! Legally blonde, the office, 90210 . . . WEAK!

Cal alumni stronger than that. Cal no watch Legally Blonde. Cal no watch 90210. Cal not weak. Cal not soft as baby poop. Cal STRONG . . . Cal stronger than iron.

Cal fans need to toughen up. Be more like Cal . . . less like you.
okaydo
TheSouseFamily said:

tigertim said:

Yes except for California University of 90210 fame which was actually shot at Occidental College. Notable alum: Steve Sanders.

Saved by the Bell also went to California University. And Beverly Hills 90210 and Saved by the Bell both graduated from high school during the same week 25 years ago last month!!

Anyways, I'm going to stop by my local Target and Best Buy tonight, which in the same mini-mall complex that contains this.

I'll post a picture later.

okaydo
tigertim said:

Ahhh....it's like a time capsule to better days.

GMP
okaydo said:

TheSouseFamily said:

tigertim said:

Saved by the Bell also went to California University. And Beverly Hills 90210 and Saved by the Bell both graduated from high school during the same week 25 years ago last month!!

Anyways, I'm going to stop by my local Target and Best Buy tonight, which in the same mini-mall complex that contains this.

I'll post a picture later.

As a Saved by the Bell aficionado, two things:

1. Saved by the Bell: The College Years' California University was supposed to be Berkeley, as opposed to the Cal U in 90210, which as someone mentioned was supposed to be UCLA. Saved by the Bell's Cal U was set in the Bay (I don't recall Berkeley specifically mentioned, but it gave that vibe, though there were no exterior campus shots that I can recall.

2. In the original series, Screech actually plans to attend Cal. As they all make their college choices, Zack notes he'll be at Yale, close to Jessie, who was going to Columbia. Screech then exclaims, "I'll be at Cal without a pal!"

TheSouseFamily
One of these days, I'm gonna have to hit the Saved by the Bell-themed diner, "Saved by the Max", in LA. Just opened a few months ago.

https://la.eater.com/2018/5/1/17307238/saved-by-the-max-pop-up-west-hollywood-open-photos-menu
okaydo
t
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.