Which team in the World Cup's last eight would compare best to Cal Football

2,181 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearSD
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My thought is Not Brazil Not France Not Belgium but

Sweden... not many known guys but they just plug along and win

What say you?
Bear19
Has to be England. A long time since they've won the Big One, lots of stumbles along the way. Go Bears . . . Uh, Go Union Jack! If beautiful women try to detail your focus, close your eyes & think of England!
Bear 19
Goobear
Good one Bear19!
Cal88
Brazil = Miami, USC or Florida State- flashy dominant program that hasn't quite dropped off the map but is no longer top dog and usually starts overrated.

Belgium = Oregon or Clemson middling program which has put it together, lots of talent coming through, haven't won lots of titles yet but have been knocking on the door

Germany = Ohio State consistently good fundamentally sound program

France = Georgia, LSU often in the mix with lots of talent in the pipeline but coaching is inconsistent, so subject to dips along with the peaks

Croatia = TCU tough no name program that is capable of big upsets

Russia = Air Force, army good home field advantage, rugged play, hasn't won anything in ages

calumnus
Bear19 said:

Has to be England. A long time since they've won the Big One, lots of stumbles along the way. Go Bears . . . Uh, Go Union Jack! If beautiful women try to detail your focus, close your eyes & think of England!

Yep, "we used to dominate this sport...really."
blungld
Definitely England. Past glory. Modern frustration and gut wrenching defeat, and a tortured pessimistic fan base who wear their loyalty and suffering as a badge of pride/martyrdom.

I became fascinated with English football in the 90s and started Traveling overseas to go to Premier League and English International matches. England became my adopted team (have had some unbelievable trips and experiences like watching England vs Argentina in Madonna's flat with Douglas Adams and a bunch of Manchester United players). I would laugh to myself about how similar rooting for Cal football and English football were (oh so nears and the occasional shock upset victory). When I watch England play I actually yell "Come on Bears!"
riogrrrandefan
I root for Scotland! No, they are not in the WCup and haven't been for ages. Still, can't help myself. Fanatic fan base, little glory, sound familiar?
PtownBear1
blungld said:

Definitely England. Past glory. Modern frustration and gut wrenching defeat, and a tortured pessimistic fan base who wear their loyalty and suffering as a badge of pride/martyrdom.

I became fascinated with English football in the 90s and started Traveling overseas to go to Premier League and English International matches. England became my adopted team (have had some unbelievable trips and experiences like watching England vs Argentina in Madonna's flat with Douglas Adams and a bunch of Manchester United players). I would laugh to myself about how similar rooting for Cal football and English football were (oh so nears and the occasional shock upset victory). When I watch England play I actually yell "Come on Bears!"

Yup. England for sure. Lots of parallels.
Goobear
PtownBear1 said:

blungld said:

Yup. England for sure. Lots of parallels.
I ll take it
OdontoBear66
I think England has to drop out as Cal like....They are going to the Final Four (whoops, semis)...Not sure we have visited that ground.
calumnus
blungld said:

Definitely England. Past glory...a tortured pessimistic fan base.... watching England vs Argentina in Madonna's flat with Douglas Adams and a bunch of Manchester United players

Wow, sounds like a scene from one of Douglas Adams' books! And yes, they don't get more tortured and pessimistic than him.
blungld
calumnus said:

blungld said:

Definitely England. Past glory...a tortured pessimistic fan base.... watching England vs Argentina in Madonna's flat with Douglas Adams and a bunch of Manchester United players

Wow, sounds like a scene from one of Douglas Adams' books! And yes, they don't get more tortured and pessimistic than him.
I was hired to interview and film Douglas Adams for Apple as part of their "genius" campaign. I followed him for three days and became fast friends. He invited me out on the town and introduced me to a bunch of celebrities there. He was hilarious and very kind. We played guitar together--a fender given him by David Gilmour that he he got to play on stage with Pink Floyd in an encore.Those few days are one of my fondest memories and made me love soccer as much as I love Cal Football.

Other fond memories was being with Paul Scholes as they passed a photo around of him doing a slide tackle where his junk came out of his shorts. Much laughing.

And was in Portugal when Beckham skied his PK and they lost in Euro Cup.

And was at Manchester United vs Real Madrid when Sir Alex kicked a boot that his Sir David in the face, His last CL game for United and he came in as sub and scored 2. After the game, he was stomping around in my hotel lobby still in his kit with his cleats around his neck--fuming with his agent. A few weeks later he transferred to Real Madrid.
BearSD
I look forward to the day when Cal football wins enough to be seriously compared to a team that reaches the final eight of the World Cup.

Having said that, if Cal football was a team in this year's World Cup, it would have been Japan -- minutes away from a glorious victory only to suffer a soul-crushing defeat in the final seconds.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.