OT: Will I see any of you at the Lair this summer?

4,188 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OzoneTheCat
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Annual Lair of the Bear thread (not visited quite every year, though):

My kids are perfect Lair age, so we will be going the next 3-4 years. This year, we have Week 6 (July 14-21), Camp Gold. Who's with us?

Last time we went, I met "CedarBear". But then we took a few years off, as it just wasn't working out for our then-baby and pre-schooler. So I'm still something of a noob...

In the past, I remember folks posting lists of things to bring that were little under-publicized gems, so if anybody wants to chime in with any advice...

If you're up there when I am, you'll recognize me right away: I'll usually be wearing Cal stuff and I have two elementary-school-age kids!

Go Bears!
mdcspe69
Bring lots of booze!!!!
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong might be speaker at next summer's Lair. Topic will be academic. But during breaks, Cal Strong happy to also work with fellow strong bears on pushups.

WifeStrong has question as we negotiate with alumni association -- can strong Bears do Lair with infant? Would it still be fun for WifeStrong if she primary parent while Cal Strong engaged with alumni lectures? Would either of the strongs still have time for swim and working on bodies and minds?
volleybear
We've been going Week 6 (Camp Oski) for about 8 years now. Kids love it. Me too! I've met some of the Gold campers from playing tennis and volleyball with them.
Big C
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong might be speaker at next summer's Lair. Topic will be academic. But during breaks, Cal Strong happy to also work with fellow strong bears on pushups.

WifeStrong has question as we negotiate with alumni association -- can strong Bears do Lair with infant? Would it still be fun for WifeStrong if she primary parent while Cal Strong engaged with alumni lectures? Would either of the strongs still have time for swim and working on bodies and minds?
Infants. Some people bring them and it's fine. I hated it for the following reasons:
a. Our 1-yr-old was a light sleeper and in the middle of the night, it got down to 39 degrees. Bad!
b. During meals, instead of talking to other adults, you have to give your attention to the baby.
c. For Kub Korral, the youngster must be potty trained, so, instead, we had to pay a staffer $$$ to watch the baby.

(You'll know better which direction you're leaning next spring.)

Regarding being a guest speaker, that should be no problem, as you're only speaking for 1 hour the whole week (maybe 2).

If you come up next year, I'd love to hang with you. I hate push-ups and I'm ****ty at them, but I do them anyway. All differences aside, I have some sort of fundamental appreciation for your schtick, which is unique.

Go Bears!
Cal Strong!
Big C said:

Infants. Some people bring them and it's fine. I hated it for the following reasons:
a. Our 1-yr-old was a light sleeper and in the middle of the night, it got down to 39 degrees. Bad!
b. During meals, instead of talking to other adults, you have to give your attention to the baby.
c. For Kub Korral, the youngster must be potty trained, so, instead, we had to pay a staffer $$$ to watch the baby.

(You'll know better which direction you're leaning next spring.)

Regarding being a guest speaker, that should be no problem, as you're only speaking for 1 hour the whole week (maybe 2).

If you come up next year, I'd love to hang with you. I hate push-ups and I'm ****ty at them, but I do them anyway. All differences aside, I have some sort of fundamental appreciation for your schtick, which is unique.

Go Bears!
Cal Strong torn. Cal Strong and Mrs. Strong have pretty strong arrangement now to housesit in Hawaii during summer "break" (policy formation and writing time). But Cal Strong has always wanted to go to the Lair. And they offered the Strongs free accommodation if Cal Strong gives series of lectures.

But now Big C say it only 1-2 lectures, so that really easy. But Cal Strong will be first time Dad with 9-month old coming off 26 hour flight. So a lot of it depend on how things go. Maybe Strongs come to Lair and visit Cal Strong's brother in Southern California. Or maybe Strongs return to Hawaii again. Strong choices.

Cal Strong hasn't really lived full time in California since 2007. Every time he come back it feel a little less like home . . . especially since Mama Strong pass away a few years ago. The Strongs have stronger ties to Michigan and Australia right now. Cal Strong gave series of talks at Cal last April. It special and strong experience for Cal Strong, but it not the same as Cal Strong remember it. Still strong. . . but different.

If Strongs come to Lair, Cal Strong and Big C spend time drinking Michigan IPAs and making each other more strong. Strong iron sharpens strong iron.
oski003
What's the right age to start taking a toddler?
yoshibear
oski003 said:

I started going when I was 2. Although my memories of Camp Gold begin a year a so later, I always had a great time and my parents always said that I loved it from the beginning. I am now 64.

When my aunt passed away a few years ago, one of my cousins gave me some correspondence to my aunt from my father. It included a Camp Gold postcard from my father sent from camp in 1955 or '56, reporting a good time.
Blueblood

"Ahaa, you won't see me
unless your kids bring
some smokes!"
75bear
oski003 said:

It completely depends on how chill your wife is.
GMP
oski003 said:

If the kids are in preschool, you'll be fine because you can drop them off at the KK and enjoy your day. If not, you'll still have fun but you're also chasing and entertaining a toddler all day.

We went last year for the first time with a 3 year old who hadn't been to preschool yet and an 11-month old. The 3 yo would not stay at the KK solo. He will this year.

We did fine otherwise with the 11-month old.

Week 8, Camp Gold.
CalAaron
Week 8, Camp Blue here. This'll be our 4th year going and we've had nothing but great times bringing our little ones - we started going when our son was about 2 and a half and last year took our 11 month old daughter too.

GMP - maybe I'll see you at the green party?
Mikeman
Stopped going several years ago after 20plus years week 6 Camp Blue, but now we r enjoying the Bear Music Fest
MilleniaBear
Camp Blue, 6th week too. Still going since one kid has not graduated HS yet. First trip there was 1985 as a staffer guest. If going 6th week you need a STRONG liver - cocktail parties each night.
Cal Strong!
Big C - for 2019, could you please bring strong blender? Cal Strong want to make strong smoothies for entire Lair.
Bears2thDoc
Got back yesterday, Gold 4th.
A few wee tots near us.........no biggie.
Enjoy!
GMP
I was there last year, I will be again. PM if you'd like to meet up.
Big C
Well, we leave in less than 100 hours... No free advice for the "2nd timer"? (I don't remember too much from the first time: It was five years ago and I was on sleep deprivation, thanks to our baby.)
bearybear
Wk9 blue. Representing.
Husmo
Big C said:

In the past, I remember folks posting lists of things to bring that were little under-publicized gems, so if anybody wants to chime in with any advice...

Bring avocados to supplement the salad bar and you will be the envy of everyone.
Rushinbear
Big C said:

Annual Lair of the Bear thread (not visited quite every year, though):

My kids are perfect Lair age, so we will be going the next 3-4 years. This year, we have Week 6 (July 14-21), Camp Gold. Who's with us?

Last time we went, I met "CedarBear". But then we took a few years off, as it just wasn't working out for our then-baby and pre-schooler. So I'm still something of a noob...

If you're up there when I am, you'll recognize me right away: I'll usually be wearing Cal stuff and I have two elementary-school-age kids!

Go Bears!
If you walk out of the Lair happy, have you been Laird?
MilleniaBear
Its like Bob Marley is up here...smokey!
Unit2Sucks
I went earlier this summer with two young kids. The Kub Korral in camp gold officially only takes kids when they are at least 2 and diaper trained but they are a bit loose on applying the policy.

We had an awesome time overall and looking forward to returning next year.
IssyBear
Recently back from week 4 at Blue, and had a great time again (have been going for over 30 years). The food was significantly better this year. I took my daughter to the Lair when she was 9 months old and my son when he was 20 months old. It's more of a challenge with kids this young as you have to supervise them all of the time which cuts into your activities, but it is manageable. There was a 15 month old at the Lair my week this year.

Issues to address: 1) the Lair is dirty so we brought a playpen. Be prepared to do a lot of baby bathing or "swimming" in the pool. 2) It can get cold in your tent cabin at night, so develop a strategy for keeping the young one warm. 3) There are no camp programs for kids that are still in diapers, but once they are potty trained the Lair is fantastic for kids. You can use the sand box and play structures in the Kub Corral, but you have to stay with your youngster while they play. 4) You can hire a staffer to baby sit when you both want to hike, play sports, or do other non-kid activities, but the cost is extra. My kids continue to love the Lair (my son comes back every year and my daughter came last year), even though they are now in their 30's and my daughter went to Mills and my son went to WSU.

As for being a speaker, you give the same talk two times. Once at your camp (Blue or Gold) on Sunday night and at other camp on Tuesday night. I look forward to these talks, but be prepared for challenging questions (this is a Cal crowd). Check out the other thread debating the issue of the Cal vs Berkeley branding. FWIW, I'm comfortable with using Cal with Cal fans, in the Bay Area and in Pac-12 locations, and with using Berkeley with folks in other parts of the country/world that don't know what school "Cal" is but do know Berkeley.

If you do go, have a great time.
Unit2Sucks
My other advice is definitely do the Vista Lodge dinner if you can! The food is great and babysitting is included.

Also get over to Pinecrest Lake. My kids had a blast "driving" a pontoon boat and jumping into the lake. The boat rentals are very reasonable and you don't need to reserve too far in advance.
Big C
Well, we are back from 6th Week, Camp Gold and had a great time. We were "Laird" indeed!

Lots of veteran campers there that week. Seasoned veterans. Three-generation family reunion type things.

It was HOT up there. Cooled down late at night, but never really got cold. A third of our luggage space went to cold weather night gear which we never used (but everyone brought, because it is better to be safe than sorry).

The guest speakers were both outstanding (Dan Werthimer of Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence and Dan Kamman on the Clean Energy Revolution).

Every family and every little kid is different, but I can say that it was MUCH better now that my youngest is six years old, as opposed to when she was one. Much, much better. Both my kids had a blast and we'll probably be going the next three years or so, at least.

On a side note (which I will be posting on the basketball board), former Cal hoopster Taylor Harrison is working up there as Assistant Manager for all the camps. I wanted to chat with him, but we kept missing.
OzoneTheCat
This was our 2nd year at the Lair Camp Gold Week 5. My two boys are 11 and 14 so prime ages for the experience to be enjoyed as a family and independently (kids and adults). We pretty much stayed to the same program as last year doing the Vista Lodge dinner, hike to Cleo's bath, kyak on the lake and party boat to Butterfly rock for some cliff diving. My wife scheduled a couple of massage sessions which she said were just ok. 10 AM yoga is a nice mid morning kick off to the rest of the day. The only main difference for us was stepping up to a 6 person tent in the Theatre district and co-hosting a margarita party. My buddy's daughter is a first time staffer at Gold this year so that was pretty cool. The kids talent show was well done and had great participation ...my youngest and his friend did a fun skit. I only went to one speaker event which was given by Janet Napolitano. Finally, the salad bar this year was truly outstanding very fresh and lots of variety including tasty pepperoncini peppers. They didn't always put them out, but if you ask a staffer he/she will bring you some.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.