(OT) Stuff the Thai soccer coach could have while apologizing.

4,160 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Another Bear
calbearinamaze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
* My damn GPS screwed me over....again.

* Can you guys get me a woman?
OR
I just wanted to be alone with young boys.

* I'm a Stanford grad. I was not lost...This was an "experiment".

*You guys got any reefer? I just wanna zone out for a while, if you know
what I'm saying.

Just then, from far back in the cave...a guitar is heard:

Being a Cal fan: You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.

GO BEARS!!!

socaliganbear
"How long will my sentence be?"
bearister

https://dailym.ai/2KYpuu3
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
TheSouseFamily
I've seen it reported that the coach didn't take the kids into the cave. He had gone home after practice and the kids went into the cave on their own. After parents called him and asked him to check on them, he went into the cave to find them. According to one of the Dutch divers on the scene who has been with the kids, this was apparently some kind of initiation ritual for the kids to reach the end of the cave, sign their name on the wall and come back. It doesn't sound like any of it was the coach's doing. So, I wouldn't roll the coach under the bus just yet.

Regardless, it's a remarkable story. Cave diving is the only kind of diving I refuse to do because it's so dangerous. I'll do night diving, deep diving, diving with sharks, etc but I won't even go near cave diving because it's so dangerous, accounting for a hugely disproportionate number of diving accidents. If this all works out for these kids, it's a truly amazing feat especially after being in the caves for so long. Can't wait for the movie.
okaydo
It feels weird. Like Elon Musk is grabbing headlines for his idea to save the kids. Trump is tweeting about Americans helping out. I see some people on Twitter think the Navy SEAL who died was an American Navy SEAL.

Obviously, foreign help made this happen (the two British guys, especially). But some are making it an America story (if the kids are all saved).
OdontoBear66
okaydo said:

It feels weird. Like Elon Musk is grabbing headlines for his idea to save the kids. Trump is tweeting about Americans helping out. I see some people on Twitter think the Navy SEAL who died was an American Navy SEAL.

Obviously, foreign help made this happen (the two British guys, especially). But some are making it an America story (if the kids are all saved).
I'm not getting that impression at all and have been gobbling up everything I can about this story. I think every place supports its locality(like LA papers always make reference to local kids doing well in the NFL, NBA, etc), and you might get that impression somewhat, but I fully appreciate what the Thai Seals have done and are doing. America is affording support, but not prime. This has definitely not been an "American hero" story as far as I can tell. Musk's attention getting was a one day report from my vantage point. Trump is but wishing well and supporting the efforts of all rescuers. JMHO
Another Bear
It seems many American assume the SEAL team is American. Look at Trump's twitter feed, the first response is just that. Trump is trying to butt in some American exceptionalism, you know because dramatic rescues are an American thing...except when it doesn't happen. And Musk, yeah he's trying to get some free PR although I'm sure he's has empathy...but there were news reports his team of engineers were going to build a kid size submarine. Sure that might have been a hoax reports but seriously, I'm not sure what engineers could have done with that small window to time. Seems like a complex search and rescue operation...and the wild card was flood waters.

BTW, there's photos of the cave entrance. Inside it has hand rails, lighting and stalagmite formations. Seems the reports that the kids were hazing or going to sign their names is correct. I couldn't for the life of me think why a coach would bring kids into a cave.
TheSouseFamily
I haven't really gotten that impression either about an American bent to the coverage. It's first and foremost a Thai thing with a broad international community of experts in support. If anything, the British have had the most predominant role of any other country.

What those two British divers did in finding the kids is just mind-boggling to me. It's very tough diving even now with the additional O2 and guide lines In place and what is probably well-mapped territory by now. But for those guys to successfully pull that off without any of those things, in total darkness with no visibility and to get back out safely is just incredible. The combination of skill and bravery is truly remarkable.
okaydo
Thank you Mr. President and thank you America for your support.

Thank you Elon Musk for all you do!!!

His plane will take off around sunrise tomorrow morning, Thailand time.

How long is a flight from Los Angeles to Bangkok?

Another Bear
The kid sub sure looks nifty but basically it would be tested in the field, in uncontrolled circumstances. Meanwhile the two divers bring a kid out with a full face mask, one holding the kid's air tank is working. It seems there's situations where divers have to take their tanks off to pass through small passageways. If that's the case, how the heck do you get a small submarine through? It can't bend or twist.
TheSouseFamily
Another Bear said:

The kid sub sure looks nifty but basically it would be tested in the field, in uncontrolled circumstances. Meanwhile the two divers bring a kid out with a full face mask, one holding the kid's air tank is working. It seems there's situations where divers have to take their tanks off to pass through small passageways. If that's the case, how the heck do you get a small submarine through? It can't bend or twist.

Clever concept and I appreciate Musk contributing his creativity but that's totally useless for the Thai cave situation (also a little late). There are some very tight spaces that require maximum maneuverability and squeezing through. Plus, not all of the path out is under water. Some of it is wading through water, walking and climbing where this thing wouldn't be very useful. This is more like what they're dealing with in some areas:

okaydo
bear2034
BEARUPINDC said:

* My damn GPS screwed me over....again.

* Can you guys get me a woman?
OR
I just wanted to be alone with young boys.

* I'm a Stanford grad. I was not lost...This was an "experiment".

*You guys got any reefer? I just wanna zone out for a while, if you know
what I'm saying.

Just then, from far back in the cave...a guitar is heard:

Being a Cal fan: You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.

GO BEARS!!!

Making light of a situation in this manner where people's lives are currently on the line is in poor taste, even on a college football board.
Another Bear
Yeah that's freakin' hairy. Looking at it makes me uncomfortable but thinking about wearing head gear while doing so gives me the heebie jeebies. Talk about double claustrophobia.
Another Bear
How Buddhist meditation kept the Thai boys calm in the cave

Seems the coach had a trick or two up his sleeve. Likely helped the kids get through this.
TheSouseFamily
Another Bear said:

How Buddhist meditation kept the Thai boys calm in the cave

Seems the coach had a trick or two up his sleeve. Likely helped the kids get through this.

As much flak as the coach has been getting, it seems like he's a good presence in this whole situation and cares deeply for the kids.

It's good to see the western world waking up to the scientific benefits of meditation. A lot of companies like Google, Apple and Nike are teaching employees about meditation because of its benefits and promoting it. We could probably occupy an entire separate thread about the scientifically-demonstrated benefits of non-secular mindfulness meditation as demonstrated in MRI-based and other research. In a world where the human brain is subject to 8-10x the stimulus that it was 20 years ago, keeping your brain in good shape is paramount. Personally. I'm a 20 minute daily meditator and it's one of the best habits I've ever learned to cultivate.
Another Bear
Agree about the coach, I don't know if those kids would have survived without him. Two weeks in a dark cave is a long, long time. Meditation was a great solution. Lots of great applications...like inmate in the pen. There's a few programs, hardcore, deep all day sessions, long term stuff. There's a few documentaries on it.

Any way, I'm sure you've heard of this book, NYT best seller, "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: A 10% Happier How-to Book". I haven't read it because I'm not a skeptic but had a conversation with a friend who is reading it. Seems to me the book is doing society a service by breaking down the usual resistance.

I no longer formally meditate but I use breathing and centering all the time to lower the blood pressure, clear the mind, chill out, shed anger or anxiety but I'd probably benefit from taking it up again.

Back to sports...lots of guys were into it. None bigger (literally) than Kareem. Good stuff.
TheSouseFamily
Yes, I'm certaibly familiar with the book you mentioned by Dan Harris, the ABC news anchor about meditation and I enjoy his podcasts. Most athletes looking for a competitive edge meditate. . . everyone from LeBron James to Steph Curry to Kobe Bryant to Lionel Messi to Derek Jeter to anyone's that's ever played for Pete Carroll. There's no mysticism to it. The reality is that we all have a constant, ongoing dialog going on in our heads and meditation allows is to tone all that "monkey chatter" down. I'm an M&A guy myself and I find it tremendously useful to maintain a clear head but it applies to athletes even more so. I'd honestly be surprised if any top-performing athlete these days who is seeking top form doesn't engage in some aspect of meditation.

And there's heaps of science to explain why.
okaydo
https://gizmodo.com/elon-musks-mini-sub-not-practical-for-thai-cave-accordi-1827471958

https://gizmodo.com/is-elon-musk-serious-1827456578

Another Bear
What's the saying...measure twice, cut once? As I recall some of the passages were only 15" wide. Also, anyone who has moved a sofa up a staircase with a landing and turn knows you might not get that sofa around the corner because it's too long, can't make the corner/turn. The guy says he's a genius but not measuring and not figuring on turns or bends is just dumb.

Elon Musk Defends Mini Submarine Left Unused in Thai Cave Rescue
Quote:

The pod measures approximately 66 inches by 16 inches.

bear2034
Everyone is out, they're all out!
okaydo

Another Bear
Hey Musk is a genius...at being a moron.

Report: Tesla Factory Workers Are in Danger Because Elon Musk Hates the Color Yellow
okaydo
Another Bear
I'm guessing there will be a slander lawsuit filed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.