The problem with recruiting players from the other side of the Mississippi

2,154 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by socaliganbear
RichyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jon Wilner had an article about the problem with recruiting players from areas a long distance away. Basically he's saying that they are more likely to leave at the slightess problem.

Recruiting players from the Eastern USA
flounder
well, i guess it's good for oregon that they are swooping up an insane amount of top california talent this year while we get some decent 3 star guys. arizona is ours though!
Barttoriv74
flounder said:

well, i guess it's good for oregon that they are swooping up an insane amount of top california talent this year while we get some decent 3 star guys. arizona is ours though!

Oregon has as much turnover from players moving in and out of both football and basketball programs as anyone, partially due to their geographic recruiting strategy. So I wouldn't say it necessarily works for them.
Big C
It's true. However, if you have a chance to lure a Demetris Robertson, I think you have to go for it, feeling confident enough about Cal and Cal Football to believe that he's gonna love it here.

We'll almost certainly never have the national cachet that Stanfurd does, but we can have some of that, being a top academic school in a nice area, with great weather. The staff always needs to be scouring the nation for the possible right fit, without expending too many resources that could be used for West Coast recruiting.

While we always want to "own our own backyard", SoCal's probably always gonna be our biggest target, because of the sheer number of athletes (which is why UCLA is pretty much our biggest recruiting rival). In fact, the-rest-of-the-Pac-12-footprint (minus SoCal) is probably going to provide us with more players than the Bay Area. Just look at the lists every year of top Bay Area prospects: Usually only a handful of four-stars.

Bottom line, wherever you can get a pipeline going, you do that, but, yes, loooong pipelines are more likely to have leaks.
going4roses
The team across the bay down yonder seems to manage long range players well no ?

Why does it seem like they been taking smaller classes lately (or not I don't know for sure) ? How ? Less attrition?

socaliganbear
flounder said:

But our guys can flat out recruit! (Unless you include every single 4* guy that we've offered)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.