Cal California Berkeley

14,754 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just accept that in typiCAL fashion, we will go forward with a non-traditional state university branding approach. The least Cal thing we could do would be do conform to what the other flagship universities do. Somehow it worked for Calvin Klein, doesn't look like they had any trouble with our branding.

They will never drop Berkeley for the academic side, and they would be morons to do so. And when Justin Wilcox wins a Rose Bowl here, the Cal brand will stand tall as well. Embrace it. We're not like those other schools...
Sonofoski
Acceptable:

CAL
California
University of California

Unacceptable:

Berkeley
Cal-Berkeley
UCB
University of California at Berkeley
UC-Berkeley
CAL State Berkeley

ColoradoBear
Sonofoski said:

Acceptable:

CAL
California
University of California

Unacceptable:

Berkeley
Cal-Berkeley
UCB
UC-Berkeley
CAL State Berkeley

UCB in blocked letters would loook good tho.
Rushinbear
NYCGOBEARS said:

I just saw a girl get out of a taxi wearing a Berkeley shirt. Seriously. Lol
Would it have been better had she not been wearing it?
ColoradoBear
oskirules said:

concordtom said:

oskirules said:

Acceptable:
Cal
California
University of California
Berkeley

Unacceptable:
Cal-Berkeley
California-Berkeley
UC Berkeley
UCB

2 of your "acceptable" are too long.
UC Berkeley is so common.
Why is Cal Berkeley unacceptable to you? It covers the two biggest bases!!!
Cal Berkeley sounds like a cal state campus.
The dumbasses that would think Cal Berkeley is a Cal State already hear Cal and think Cal is Cal State, though. It is a major problem with telling anyone outside the Bay Area that you went to Cal... the response if often "you went to cal state where though?" Most casual NON Pac 12 football fans probably have that misconception.

While a great logo, I do think the script Cal actually holds back our branding. I would rather see full on 'California' in more places. Like the front of our football jerseys... would at least signify we are the flagship (fUClA) and I think people would put things together better than if they are hearing Cal State in their heads.

California Berkeley is fine in places. UC Berkeley is my IMO. No problems with Cal Berkeley as an abbreviation used in speech. I don't ever see Cal having national pull as a brand the way we want it to. So if the best way to unify the brands is a nickname of Cal Berkeley, so be it.

Slight aside, anyone know the story of why the CAA had to change its name from the California Alumni Association to Cal Alumni Association in the mid 2000s.
Rushinbear
ColoradoBear said:

oskirules said:

concordtom said:

oskirules said:

Acceptable:
Cal
California
University of California
Berkeley

Unacceptable:
Cal-Berkeley
California-Berkeley
UC Berkeley
UCB

The dumbasses that would think Cal Berkeley is a Cal State already hear Cal and think Cal is Cal State, though. It is a major problem with telling anyone outside the Bay Area that you went to Cal... the response if often "you went to cal state where though?" Most casual NON Pac 12 football fans probably have that misconception.

While a great logo, I do think the script Cal actually holds back our branding. I would rather see full on 'California' in more places. Like the front of our football jerseys... would at least signify we are the flagship (fUClA) and I think people would put things together better than if they are hearing Cal State in their heads.

California Berkeley is fine in places. UC Berkeley is my IMO. No problems with Cal Berkeley as an abbreviation used in speech. I don't ever see Cal having national pull as a brand the way we want it to. So if the best way to unify the brands is a nickname of Cal Berkeley, so be it.

Slight aside, anyone know the story of why the CAA had to change its name from the California Alumni Association to Cal Alumni Association in the mid 2000s.
FWIW, ESPN has been using Cal almost exclusively for some time...and often with great fondness. Maybe they find it endearing that the #1 public university tries so hard to be a great athletic school as well.

BTW, say Berkeley in the northeast and half the people will think you're talking about the Berkeley School of Music in Boston. The other half will not think.
packawana
deleted
Sonofoski
Quote:

I have one more,

The University of Berkeley. I actually heard that one on a road trip.
dajo9
Rushinbear said:

BTW, say Berkeley in the northeast and half the people will think you're talking about the Berkeley School of Music in Boston. The other half will not think.
Not true, most people will place you correctly, however this does happen and happened to me once.

There is the Berklee College of Music in Boston and Berkeley College in New Jersey. As a New Jersey resident, I don't think these colleges will interfere with our branding efforts. I don't know about Boston, but in NYC everybody will know what you are talking about. Saying "Cal" will cause them to ask you to repeat yourself. They'll look confused until you say "Berkeley".
socaliganbear
Rushinbear said:

ColoradoBear said:

oskirules said:

concordtom said:

oskirules said:

Acceptable:
Cal
California
University of California
Berkeley

Unacceptable:
Cal-Berkeley
California-Berkeley
UC Berkeley
UCB

FWIW, ESPN has been using Cal almost exclusively for some time...and often with great fondness. Maybe they find it endearing that the #1 public university tries so hard to be a great athletic school as well.

I've literally never encountered this, and I live in New York.
Rushinbear
dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

Not true, most people will place you correctly, however this does happen and happened to me once.

There is the Berklee College of Music in Boston and Berkeley College in New Jersey. As a New Jersey resident, I don't think these colleges will interfere with our branding efforts. I don't know about Boston, but in NYC everybody will know what you are talking about. Saying "Cal" will cause them to ask you to repeat yourself. They'll look confused until you say "Berkeley".
I stand corrected: Berklee.
LTbear
Correct
bear2034
Sonofoski said:

Quote:

I have one more,

The University of Berkeley. I actually heard that one on a road trip.

English hooligans
TheSouseFamily
Sonofoski said:

Acceptable:

CAL
California
University of California

Unacceptable:

Berkeley
Cal-Berkeley
UCB
UC-Berkeley
CAL State Berkeley

In my experience, the only thing "University of California" and/or "California" are good for is to elicit blank, confused stares.

In any event, it's good to see that we have the same level of alignment on branding that we have on uniforms.
calumnus
My favorite was when, on this board's predecessor, we had a visitor from Oklahoma prior to our game. As often happens when we get visitors, academic smack was thrown and a debate ensued. At one point the visitor said, "C'mon, Cal is a good school, but it is not like you are Berkeley or something."
HoopDreams
when they put 'BERKELEY' on the helmet or basketball jerseys, I'll stop attending games
OdontoBear66
I really am astounded about how supposedly well educated people, and they are, lack such confidence that they wish to allow others to define who they are, because it is so recognized in Athens, GA, or England, or China or wherever. We are the University of California. (period). We are also the University of California, Berkeley (the city). We over the years adopted the nickname Cal, just like my Robert can be Bob.

We are not Berkeley. It is a city in Northern California. A city where a great campus resides. Youth may try to rebrand, but never, never, never for me. I feel sorry for all the Boalt grads of years gone by.

I always acknowledge Cal gear with a "Go Bears", but never a blue and gold "Berkeley" sweatshirt, tee shirt or whatever.
calumnus
OdontoBear66 said:

I really am astounded about how supposedly well educated people, and they are, lack such confidence that they wish to allow others to define who they are, because it is so recognized in Athens, GA, or England, or China or wherever. We are the University of California. (period). We are also the University of California, Berkeley (the city). We over the years adopted the nickname Cal, just like my Robert can be Bob.

We are not Berkeley. It is a city in Northern California. A city where a great campus resides. Youth may try to rebrand, but never, never, never for me. I feel sorry for all the Boalt grads of years gone by.

I always acknowledge Cal gear with a "Go Bears", but never a blue and gold "Berkeley" sweatshirt, tee shirt or whatever.

If you go to the dinning room of what was called "The Faculty Club at Berkeley" when it was built on campus in 1902 (before there were any other UCs) there are stained glass windows with the seal and name of the world's great universities: "Oxford," "Cambridge" "Harvard", "Yale", "Princeton", "Columbia", "Stanford" and yes, "Berkeley."

When the College of California, then in Oakland, went looking for a site for the new campus, they stood at Founders' Rock and named the new campus "Berkeley." North and South Hall were built before they began developing a city around it. Campus was founded in 1868. The city was incorporated in 1878, ten years later. The city is named after the campus, not the other way around.

This goes way back.
OdontoBear66
calumnus said:

OdontoBear66 said:

If you go to the dinning room of what was called "The Faculty Club at Berkeley" when it was built on campus in 1902 (before there were any other UCs) there are stained glass windows with the seal and name of the world's great universities: "Oxford," "Cambridge" "Harvard", "Yale", "Princeton", "Columbia", "Stanford" and yes, "Berkeley."

When the College of California, then in Oakland, went looking for a site for the new campus, they stood at Founders' Rock and named the new campus "Berkeley." North and South Hall were built before they began developing a city around it. Campus was founded in 1868. The city was incorporated in 1878, ten years later. The city is named after the campus, not the other way around.

This goes way back.
I hear you loud and clear, but come from the era of the late 50s, early 60s where UCLA fan base fought to add a "B" to our University of California as in UCB....Nah. They were newbies at 1911, we went back to 1868 and were the University of California.
dajo9
calumnus said:

My favorite was when, on this board's predecessor, we had a visitor from Oklahoma prior to our game. As often happens when we get visitors, academic smack was thrown and a debate ensued. At one point the visitor said, "C'mon, Cal is a good school, but it is not like you are Berkeley or something."
I can relate. When I was 17 and my mother suggested I apply to Berkeley, I said, "Berkeley? They don't even have a football team".
GoldBear98
I used to work in the same building as Moguloff (Sproul Hall) and witnessed his action before leaving the men's room. Hence the nickname, "Poppy". I NEVER shook his hand. His Berkeley brand is lame!

University of California at Berkeley may have been acceptable at one point but not since the 90's! UC Berkeley is perfectly fine. To get to the bottom of this, I prefer what Mike White said, "Berkeley is a city, Cal is the university".
Yogi58
GoldBear98 said:

I used to work in the same building as Moguloff (Sproul Hall) and witnessed his action before leaving the men's room. Hence the nickname, "Poppy". I NEVER shook his hand.
Barttoriv74
Bear8 said:

Aw, why fight it? Just accept we're a school with two names and to hell with anyone who doesn't understand it. We know where we belong.

Why, because the previous branding of Cal/UC Berkeley worked well. The current dual branding has created the phony brand "Cal-Berkeley." And the Chancellor has seemed to back off Birgeneau's F'up somewhat, but the damage is done. The vast majority of us who love the University say "Cal" whe referring to the campus; it's where the passion is! Berkeley is a brand with heavy negatives in light of politics etc. Running away from the University of California is moronic.
Barttoriv74
oskirules said:

Acceptable:
Cal
California
University of California
Berkeley

Unacceptable:
Cal-Berkeley
California-Berkeley
UC Berkeley
UCB

Cal-Berkeley is the one that's unacceptable, but also becoming the most commonly used. The campus is doing nothing to stop it and it's a direct result of the Birgeneau re-branding. It's heartbreaking!
Big C
Barttoriv74 said:

oskirules said:

Acceptable:
Cal
California
University of California
Berkeley

Unacceptable:
Cal-Berkeley
California-Berkeley
UC Berkeley
UCB

Cal-Berkeley is the one that's unacceptable, but also becoming the most commonly used. The campus is doing nothing to stop it and it's a direct result of the Birgeneau re-branding. It's heartbreaking!
I go back a few decades and I've always used "Cal Berkeley" and "UC Berkeley" from time to time. It depends on who you're talking to. Am I supposed to be on a never-ending mission to educate everybody who doesn't know what "Cal" is?

That said, I love the way we're simply "California" on national sports news.
Golden One
OdontoBear66 said:

Right on! I'm with you 100%.
okaydo
calumnus said:

OdontoBear66 said:

This goes way back.

Huh??? But why would the founders of the university name the university "Berkeley"?

Berkeley doesn't sound like a name associated with higher education and learning. Not like "Austin," or "Ann Arbor," or "Norman."
Chapman_is_Gone
Absolutely riveting thread topic. I wonder if we can get to 100 posts?!
NYCGOBEARS
Chapman, you're my dog.
GoldBear98
Colorado Bear,

Cal means Berkeley or UC Berkeley or the University of California, Berkeley. It is like saying three am in the morning, redundant.
sp4149
Some of us remember back in the 60's, 70's, 80's when the campus was known as Bezerkley in
SoCal. Cal was a different place. The negative branding of Berkeley still lingers. Why stir the pot?
bear2034
I'm happy to report that the Berkeley brand is still viewed in a positive light around the world, regardless of the city of Berkeley and its politics.

OdontoBear66
sp4149 said:

Some of us remember back in the 60's, 70's, 80's when the campus was known as Bezerkley in
SoCal. Cal was a different place. The negative branding of Berkeley still lingers. Why stir the pot?
This it was in SoCal, but what is negative to some is positive to others. My complaint with the usage of Berkeley does not go to the "Berzerkely" branding.
prospeCt

?v=1477511038

"Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it ", if so inclined, & beneficent 🙏🏼
Oakbear
reminds me... when I was a fr in high school my English teacher asked us where we wanted to go to college

l wrote Cal Berkely, he gave me an F and wrote if you are going to go there better learn to spell it.. he was a furd grad LOL

ps. he almost hit me with an eraser once too, he got tired of me yakking in class, good shot by him as I was in the last row .. of course today, I would sue and be rich LOL
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.