Favorite All Time Cal Special Teams Player

7,957 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by blungld
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Who you got? Bonus for photos or video inserts.
91/95
Some names that immediately come to mind:
Ziv Gottleib has to be high on list for holders.
Dave Binn for Long snapper.
Desean Jackson for punt returner.
Russell White for kick returner.
Jhavid Best for gunnner.
Anger for punter.
Jim Breech for kicker.

calumnus
91Gypo said:

Some names that immediately come to mind:
Ziv Gottleib has to be high on list for holders.
Dave Binn for Long snapper.
Desean Jackson for punt returner.
Russell White for kick returner.
Jhavid Best for gunnner.
Anger for punter.
Jim Breech for kicker.

Definitely DeSean. Every time he took a punt I thought he might take it to the house.
ddc_Cal
Not counting kickers, for me it's Rich Dixon. He blocked a few kicks and was Cal's best linebacker that couldn't break into the depth chart -- because Joe Kapp was such a great coach that he never noticed that when Dixon was in the game, something bad often happened -- to the other team.

If we're going for return men, it's gotta be Deltha.

And for unsung heros type, I pick LaShaun Ward. He was back for kick returns with Deltha. Deltha would get the ball and Ward would _always_ pick off the first guy down. When it became LaShaun's turn to return kicks he suffered badly from not having someone like that to block for him.
71Bear
BearGreg said:

Who you got? Bonus for photos or video inserts.
I can't comment on guys who were around over 60 years ago since I didn't see them play. Since that time, Cal has had a number of sterling placekickers and punters. And, of course, kick and punt returners. However, the one guy that stands out in my mind was a gunner - Mike McGrath. He was as good a gunner as I have seen. Therefore, I'll go with him.....
heartofthebear
Deltha O'Neal comes to mind
run2win
McGrath is not my favorite special teams player but he definitely is on the list. Kid played with so much hustle and heart.

McGrath Big Game Photo
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
chalcidbear

Doug Brien (kicker) - he was so solid.
sosheezy
Kevin Moen, IIRC, was pretty significant

I remember Matt Clizbe being good as a gunner and even was a punt returner.

And Thomas Decoud blocked a few field goals and had the greatest block on Desean's PR TD vs UCLA
flounder
we literally had one of the all time greatest NFL and college punt returners in DJ, no question he's the top dog. the disrespect from some on this board has always been there for some reason.

deltha was dirty too. matt anderson on and off the field also!
Another Bear
DJax for punt return...that step back was insane.

71Bear
flounder said:

we literally had one of the all time greatest NFL and college punt returners in DJ, no question he's the top dog. the disrespect from some on this board has always been there for some reason.

All-time great? College - yes. NFL - no. He is not listed in the NFL record book in any of the punt return categories.....

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/puntreturns

BearGreg
Staff
71Bear said:

flounder said:

All-time great? College - yes. NFL - no. He is not listed in the NFL record book in any of the punt return categories.....

DeSean was only a primary punt returner during his first three seasons in the NFL. He had 109 Punt Returns during that period with 4 of them going for a TD. He also had a career average of 15.8 yards per return in the playoffs.

Certainly not an all timer in the NFL or even College in terms of overall production, yet his ratio of returns to TDs while he was an active PR at both levels was exceptional

DJax Stats
GMP
71Bear said:

flounder said:

Well, first of all, if you read the link you provided you'd see that the stats are only up to date through the 2007 season, when DeSean was still in college.

Here are more up to date stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/punt_ret_td_career.htm

Second, DeSean is tied for 21st with 4 TDs . However, when looking at TDs per return, DeSean ranks very high TDs per Return, at 9th all time behind:

1. Dick Christy (1 every 16.75)
2. Devin Hester (1 every 22.5)
3. Reggie Bush (1 every 25.5)
4. Travis Benjamin (1 every 26)
5. Joey Galloway (1 every 28.2)
6. Desmond Howard (1 every 30.5)
7. Rich Upchurch (1 every 31
8. Lemar Parrish (1 every 32.75)
9. DeSean Jackson (1 every 33.5)

I'd say it's fair to call him one of the great NFL punt returners.
Another Bear
Definitely Bryan Anger at Punter. I remember a few booming 70+ yard punts...but watch this first highlight, a 73 yard coffin corner.

ColoradoBear
Nick Harris. Future NFL player and dude hit pretty damn hard in punt coverage too.
wallyball2003
I'm with you on McGrath. I've never seen such dominant kick coverage by one individual. He was a blast to watch.
JSC 76
heartofthebear said:

My favorite weird Cal trivia is that Deltha led the team in scoring one year (1999, I believe) .... and he didn't play offense.

He was just that good. (And the offense was terrible.)
71Bear
GMP said:

71Bear said:

flounder said:

Well, first of all, if you read the link you provided you'd see that the stats are only up to date through the 2007 season, when DeSean was still in college.

Second, DeSean is tied for 21st with 4 TDs . However, when looking at TDs per return, DeSean ranks very high TDs per Return, at 9th all time behind:

Fair enough on my oversight...

Still not one of the all-time greats in the NFL... IMO, a representative sampling of multiple metrics must be utilized to determine status as an all-time great. Heck, taking one metric is like suggesting Marino was an all-time great QB because he threw for a lot of yards. Marino was a very good QB on an above average team but he was nothing more than that.....

Having said that, Jackson certainly outplayed his draft slot.
Another Bear
Frankly I can't name them off the top of my head...but Cal's long snapper tradition in the NFL is a strong one. I think there were 3 Cal LS'ers in the NFL at one time? Talk about a legacy...Cal is LONG SNAPPER U!!!
HighlandDutch
In addition to the many fine choices already mentioned, I'll throw Vinny Strang's name out there...don't think he's gotten a mention yet.

bear2034
Deltha O'Neal.
Our defense and special teams was our offense when we had no offense.
71Bear
Another Bear said:

Definitely Bryan Anger at Punter. I remember a few booming 70+ yard punts...but watch this first highlight, a 73 yard coffin corner.

I expected to see his famous 76 yard punt v. Stanford in that reel. That was the best punt I have ever seen in person - it was like a tremendous golf shot that upon reaching its apparent apogee, continues even higher and further. It was well above the rim of the stadium...
79 Bear
71Bear said:

Quote:

Still not one of the all-time greats in the NFL... IMO, a representative sampling of multiple metrics must be utilized to determine status as an all-time great. Heck, taking one metric is like suggesting Marino was an all-time great QB because he threw for a lot of yards. Marino was a very good QB on an above average team but he was nothing more than that.....

Yeah, Marino isn't an all-time great. He just holds or is tied for various records, including but not limited to::
  • Most seasons leading league in pass completions,
  • Most games with 400 or more yards passing,
  • Most seasons with 40 or more touchdown passes,
  • Most seasons leading league in yards gained and
  • Most consecutive seasons leading league in completions,
Not to mention the fact that he is 6th all-time in most yards passing, 2nd all-time in 4th quarter comebacks, has the 2nd lowest percentage of passes intercepted, is 4th all-time in most TD passes in a season, 2nd all-time in most seasons with 3,000 or more yards passing, 3rd all-time in career pass completions, 5th all-time in career passing yards, 5th all-time in career TD passes, 3rd all-time in throwing 3 or more TD passes in a game and 3rd in throwing 4 or more TDs in a game.

Pretty average wouldn't you say?

flounder
GMP said:

71Bear said:

flounder said:

plus the fear he struck into special teams coordinators and punters, they knew damn well he could take it to the house anytime he was back there.
StillABear1
Well you did say favorite, so any of these players named are legit. They are all memorable but the two that standout as the most exciting, and guys that gave us hope that there was a real chance they'd take it to the house every time they touched the ball, were DeSean and Deltha.

From my perspective, in the many decades of watching Cal football, DeSean was the greatest punt returner I saw on our team or any other team. Deltha was a great returner of both punts and kickoffs, particularly great at KO returns.
Another Bear
71Bear said:

I expected to see his famous 76 yard punt v. Stanford in that reel. That was the best punt I have ever seen in person - it was like a tremendous golf shot that upon reaching its apparent apogee, continues even higher and further. It was well above the rim of the stadium...
Seeing Anger punt in person was quite a show. You just don't get the same experience on TV. I remember it was a bummer to fail on 3rd down conversions...but then we'd get to see Anger and that was okay and everyone would stand up to get a good look, and then he'd awe everyone.
bruab2
Mike Pawlawski was pretty good in kickoff coverage too
71Bear
RhetoriCal Bear said:

71Bear said:

Quote:

Yeah, Marino isn't an all-time great. He just holds or is tied for various records, including but not limited to::
  • Most seasons leading league in pass completions,
  • Most games with 400 or more yards passing,
  • Most seasons with 40 or more touchdown passes,
  • Most seasons leading league in yards gained and
  • Most consecutive seasons leading league in completions,
Not to mention the fact that he is 6th all-time in most yards passing, 2nd all-time in 4th quarter comebacks, has the 2nd lowest percentage of passes intercepted, is 4th all-time in most TD passes in a season, 2nd all-time in most seasons with 3,000 or more yards passing, 3rd all-time in career pass completions, 5th all-time in career passing yards, 5th all-time in career TD passes, 3rd all-time in throwing 3 or more TD passes in a game and 3rd in throwing 4 or more TDs in a game.

Pretty average wouldn't you say?

I said "very good". Definitely no better than that...

Zero NFL championships. The greats all led their teams to titles at least once.......

Marino was the most overrated QB in NFL history.
calumnus
71Bear said:

GMP said:

71Bear said:

flounder said:

Yes, as did Rodgers. Would have loved to see them teamed up at Cal in 2005, it would have improved both of their draft slots.
CalVC2
How about Giorgio Tavecchio? One of our more colorful kickers, in his senior year he led the Pac12 with 20 field goals. And while he was a ton of fun to watch at Cal, his best Bay Area showing was his first NFL game last season replacing Janikowski where he went 4-4 including two 52 yarders - first player in NFL history to hit two 50+ yarders in his pro debut

wifeisafurd
heartofthebear said:

Yes, O'Neal has to be someone in there. I recall games where his special team plays were Cal's only scoring.
71Bear
CalVC2 said:

How about Giorgio Tavecchio? One of our more colorful kickers, in his senior year he led the Pac12 with 20 field goals. And while he was a ton of fun to watch at Cal, his best Bay Area showing was his first NFL game last season replacing Janikowski where he went 4-4 including two 52 yarders - first player in NFL history to hit two 50+ yarders in his pro debut

If you are going to count pro performance as well as college, Doug Brien winning a Super Bowl ring his first year as a pro with SF has to be included in the mix. Especially when one considers his excellent career at Cal.
wifeisafurd
Another Bear said:

For people that want to know if Cal can fill a stadium with excited fans, look at this film. Shows how far Cal football has fallen.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Another Bear said:

For people that want to know if Cal can fill a stadium with excited fans, look at this film. Shows how far Cal football has fallen.
Exactly. There is no need for pinball football. There is a need for basic blocking and tackling, interesting offensive schemes and defensive schemes designed to stifle a variety of game plans. Wilcox is on the right path to create the excitement seen in the clip but it will take time to dig out from the disaster that preceded him.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.