Some tidbits from Football Camp

9,036 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MoragaBear
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

• Cal has found a new playmaking WR on the outside
  • Some veteran players who did not play last year are not only back, they are poised to be difference makers in 2018
  • Backup running back might be the most tightly contested position on the team. One name that has not been mentioned much has been a surprise standout thus far into camp
  • Pace of practice is materially quicker than it was last year. 2nd year into the systems is manifesting itself with the crispness and cadence of camp
  • Only a couple of players sitting out at this stage
  • The QB competition with a few twists and turns in it
  • One of our positional coaches adding value and leading drills with another position group
  • A dynamic newcomer on defense may see the field early
Big C
This, along with the "special" on the front page, is a great tease to get folks to "go premium"! If I hadn't already made the move in the Spring, it would've gotten me!

(btw, it has been worth it, imo)
bear2034
Any generic news on the tight ends and d-line?
BearGreg
Staff
oskirules said:

Any generic news on the tight ends and d-line?
Tight Ends look to be a position of strength though would love to see more in line blockers there. D Line needs to stay healthy. Won't know much about them until full pads and tackling to the ground sessions begin.
KoreAmBear
BearGreg said:

Lavelle Hawkins sent in his resume to be an assistant coach.

• Some veteran players who did not play last year are not only back, they are poised to be difference makers in 2018

Giorgio Tavecchio wants to come back now that he is free.

• Backup running back might be the most tightly contested position on the team. One name that has not been mentioned much has been a surprise standout thus far into camp

Don Coleman has decided not transfer and wants to try his hand at RB.

• Pace of practice is materially quicker than it was last year. 2nd year into the systems is manifesting itself with the crispness and cadence of camp

Coaches are putting matchsticks inside of the players' cleats, a la MLB baseball antics.

They are having a presser to say they are disappointed, like Jalen Hurts.

Turns out that Ross Bowers likes pretzels.

• One of our positional coaches adding value and leading drills with another position group

Tony Franklin was seen hanging out in the bushes besides Strawberry Canyon.

Apparently it is one of the e-sports athletes who thinks his gaming skills may translate onto the field at Memorial.
OK no need to purchase a premium subscription. I have filled in the question marks (see above). Detailed sports information should be free. You're welcome. I'm the Robin Hood of the boards.
Chapman_is_Gone
BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

I absolutely despise clickbait BS headlines, exactly like the type you just posted here. Trust me, you are making a strategic mistake if this is the approach you're going to take going forward.
bonsallbear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

I absolutely despise clickbait BS headlines, exactly like the type you just posted here. Trust me, you are making a strategic mistake if this is the approach you're going to take going forward.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of this approach. I'll stick with "hey Dodgers" and wait for the season to begin.
Go Bears. But thanks for the tidbits.
pingpong2
Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg,

Coach gives the team a pep talk, and you won't believe what happens next.
Northside91
Big C said:

This, along with the "special" on the front page, is a great tease to get folks to "go premium"! If I hadn't already made the move in the Spring, it would've gotten me!

"Premium" is winning football. Teases are good for short term fans or fans of teams that are up 2 years and down 1. The crapshow has been going on too long for positive camp reports to matter much.
Big C
Northside91 said:

Big C said:

"Premium" is winning football. Teases are good for short term fans or fans of teams that are up 2 years and down 1. The crapshow has been going on too long for positive camp reports to matter much.
The two times of year I like to "believe" -- even blindly so -- are August and during Big Game Week. Then, that gives me most of the rest of the year to be down in the dumps (except for about 15-20% of the time when we actually have a good season).
wallyball2003
I hope you'll be O.K.
MinotStateBeav
This is insulting by the staff of this site. A step too far for me visiting here. It's been a good run. I'll read goldenblogs and possibly create gameday threads on reddit r/calfootball. Good bye Cyberbears.
MilleniaBear
So are we prohibited from discussing practice things on growls or is it just BI is not providing free content? If its the former then im with Minot. The latter ican accept.
socaliganbear
If you end the OP with #Ad or #Sponsored people might be more willing to accept.

Or just "f**ck it, pay us".
Ncsf
Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

Honestly, you are a non-entity anyway. You haven't paid for premium and you probably never will. Why should he listen to you?
socaliganbear
Ncsf said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

Honestly, you are a non-entity anyway. You haven't paid for premium and you probably never will. Why should he listen to you?
Because new business comes from potential customers, not existing ones.
BearsWiin
Ncsf said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

Because he's been a contributor and member of this community for nearly 20 years. It's smart to listen to longtime members. They've seen business models come and go.

You said in 2016 "The ONLY way this program will rise to prominence is by building it the way Dykes is doing it." Why should anybody listen to you?
BearlyCareAnymore
BearGreg said:

Greg, I'm giving you feedback here. I expect nothing for free. I'm on your side when people complain there isn't as much information on the free board as there used to be. You guys develop the information, you can charge as you see fit.

But don't promise in a thread title that you are going to give free information and then bait and switch. It is beneath you and it insults our intelligence. You could easily have titled that "things we are reporting on the premium board". I would have looked as I'm interested in the offer you made for Fall camp.

However, I believe in rewarding good behavior and not rewarding bad behavior. You lost my dollar on this one, and more importantly the chance that I would stay on permanently. Oh well. No hard feelings. Maybe next time.
BearGreg
Staff
Appreciate all the feedback. We continue to learn as we go. We value all of our community - free and premium.

Go Bears!
dajo9
Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

Snowflake
American Vermin
tequila4kapp
Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

It isn't click bait. The post delivered exactly what the title said. If you object to learning about what you (and I) are not getting by staying on the free board...come on man, the site isn't supposed to market themselves? I have no problem with the guys showing us how they cover the team and what I could get if I paid for info.
socaliganbear
Definitely clickbait.
Chapman_is_Gone
dajo9 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

Snowflake

A snowflake? In ****hole New Jersey? In August? No way. Don't you have to wait about six more weeks for that?
OdontoBear66
socaliganbear said:

Definitely clickbait.
Hey, your choice....Help them out to provide better content or suck up freebies....Totally you.
socaliganbear
OdontoBear66 said:

socaliganbear said:

Definitely clickbait.
Hey, your choice....Help them out to provide better content or suck up freebies....Totally you.

Have for years. Quality is down given these greedy tactics.
XXXBEAR
Bear Greg-I post on both insider and growls. Thanks for really energizing the site with content, regular chat room conversations and insight on players, coaches and schemes. The site is definitely better for your efforts.

I'm not sure what people want-so just ignore the noise. The chronicle coverage is almost nil yet here we are on the verge of a good season. Let's focus on what's most important-to beat down Stanford in this year's Big Game.
BearlyCareAnymore
tequila4kapp said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

It isn't click bait. The post delivered exactly what the title said. If you object to learning about what you (and I) are not getting by staying on the free board...come on man, the site isn't supposed to market themselves? I have no problem with the guys showing us how they cover the team and what I could get if I paid for info.

It absolutely was clickbait. As I said, I expect nothing for free. I don't complain at all about the articles being almost exclusively premium. They put in work so they deserve to be paid. I didn't expect anything free until there was a thread title implying it. I could have written all those statements without any info. I am fine with them marketing on the free board. Just be upfront about it.
Bear19
BearGreg said:

BG forgot to include:

• What the Coaching Staff doesn't want ANYONE to know!
    Bear 19
  • dajo9
    Chapman_is_Gone said:

dajo9 said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearGreg said:

BearGreg,

Snowflake

A snowflake? In ****hole New Jersey? In August? No way. Don't you have to wait about six more weeks for that?
    Triggered
    American Vermin
    Yogi58
    MinotStateBeav said:

This is insulting by the staff of this site. A step too far for me visiting here. It's been a good run. I'll read goldenblogs and possibly create gameday threads on reddit r/calfootball. Good bye Cyberbears.
    Yeah, cause Golden Blogs has been covering themselves in glory with their basketball coverage. No mistakes made there.
    Yogi58
    XXXBEAR said:

Bear Greg-I post on both insider and growls. Thanks for really energizing the site with content, regular chat room conversations and insight on players, coaches and schemes. The site is definitely better for your efforts.
    I can't comment on the quality of the content being provided as I haven't been a premium member at any point since the switch. However, even if you don't care about premium content, there's an argument to be made for financially contributing to the overhead costs of running a website like this. Server hosting is not free. People to provided content (I'm guessing) are not free.

The two big noticeable things that I've seen from a freeloader perspective are.

1. An invitation to come back was extended. Considering that I have been a critic of Greg's as a poster, that was a big gesture in my mind and definitely elevated my opinion of him. There have been a few PM's since I've been back to tone things down in certain areas and I've been happy to try to work with him to try to conform to what he expects is acceptable on the board.

2. The excessive sensitivity and abuses of the moderators has been reined in big-time. Gone are the petty bans because the moderator didn't like the opinion that was posted. That has led to a greater diversity of opinion.

That said, even allowing for the fact that the $1 deal is a great deal, I'll just never; be a premium subscriber to this website again. I currently maintain a premium subscription elsewhere that I only intended to be a brief one so I could laugh at shocky, but discovered a site that is more like what I would like a site to be. No clutter of okaydo clickbait threads. No fans whining about minority opinions being unacceptable. Almost every post is about Cal sports, which is what I'm most interested in posting about (my participation in the Off Topic board. notwithstanding, it's something I could easily do without if the board was remoived). Most importantly, I get to be myself, which I can't be on Golden Blogs and to some extent here.

tl;dr - I pay for a site where drunkoski is a valued contributor and shocky is laughed off.

But that's just my perspective. On the whole though, I think Greg is doing a good job with this site and if you like it, you should consider financially supporting it.
    NYCGOBEARS
    Y'all acting like you got Rick Rolled. Yes, it was clickbait. So what? The owners of this site can't promote their product? I read all kinds of crap on the free board (which wouldn't exist without being subsidized by subscribers, btw), and this thread is rather innocuous by comparison. Yet, some are up in arms. I don't get it. Everyone here is pretty smart. The accusations of some kind of subterfuge or bait and switch are overreactions. That $1 is hard to earn here, evidently.
    UCBerkGrad
    NYCGOBEARS said:

Y'all acting like you got Rick Rolled. Yes, it was clickbait. So what? The owners of this site can't promote their product? I read all kinds of crap on the free board (which wouldn't exist without being subsidized by subscribers, btw), and this thread is rather innocuous by comparison. Yet, some are up in arms. I don't get it. Everyone here is pretty smart. The accusations of some kind of subterfuge or bait and switch are overreactions. That $1 is hard to earn here, evidently.
    Thank you! There are real issues that deserve our attention. Let's focus on important things like this:

Big C
    NYCGOBEARS said:

I am in basic agreement with your point, but I feel compelled to add that the free board is also subsidized by ads. (I will admit to having no idea what the $$$ break down is, however.)

Okay, so folks don't pay out of their pocket to read this board, but the constant onslaught of ads for Mensa and for male genitalia size-reduction surgery do wear on a guy, after awhile.
    Yogi58
    Big C said:

Okay, so folks don't pay out of their pocket to read this board, but the constant onslaught of ads for Mensa and for male genitalia size-reduction surgery do wear on a guy, after awhile.
    I am happily oblivious to whatever advertising is on this site thanks to AdBlock.
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.