"They weren't going to sit there and let us run the ball"

7,439 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yogi58
Zippergate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
--Coach Wilcox

So why did we run the ball up the middle 30 times?!?

Some stats for the negabears...
* 3.4 yards per play.
* One play over 20 yards
* 19 first downs in 15 drives
* 4 of 17 on 3rd downs
* Outgained rushing. Outgained passing.
* Outgained 189yds to 10yds in the 4th quarter
* 0 sacks, 2 TFLs. NC had 4 sacks and 10 TFLs
79 Bear
SRBear
We had 24 points, they had 17.
BearSD
Zippergate said:

Can't keep going 3 and out in the 4th quarter when you're trying to hold a lead.
hanky1
SRBear said:

We had 24 points, they had 17.
lol
Shoreline
Tedford put up 79 points today
Yogi58
Shoreline said:

Wow. Dominated a Big Sky team that went 4-8 last year. What an achievement.
Cal89
Well, they have a stiffer test with Minnesota next week, then UCLA...
Sig test...
killa22
They just went plus one in the box and we couldn't throw our way out of it.

That's worrisome.
FloriDreaming
Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

While Cal eked by a team that went 3-9 last year and was without their starting QB and RB to boot. And they looked a whole lot worse than the Cal team that beat said 3-9 team on that team's home field last year.

Yes I'd much rather have Jeff Tedford than Justin Wilcox. I'm fully convinced the academic problems had everything to do with lack of administrative support and nothing at all to do with Sonny Dykes being some genius at tutoring football players.

The APR went down under JT because the administration wouldn't give him the resources, which they are now providing (and surprise, APR went up).

Other than the APR, which was not his fault, History has shown JT is head and shoulders above either of his replacements. I don't know how anyone can dispute that at this point, it's an obvious truth.
Yogi58
Uthaithani said:

Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

While Cal eked by a team that went 3-9 last year and was without their starting QB and RB to boot.
At least they were 3-9 playing real football teams in a real football conference.
golden sloth
BearSD said:

Zippergate said:

Can't keep going 3 and out in the 4th quarter when you're trying to hold a lead.
Cal had (3) 4th quarter possessions with, (1) being the final knee, (1) being a 3 and out, and (1) a six and out (that destroyed by a big sack). Both times Cal gave NC the ball back, they we at their 15 and 8 yard lines respectively. Yes, the Cal offense could have been better in the 4th, but they simply didn't have many opportunities, and helped place NC in a bad spot (which they unfortunately dug themselves out of).
Rushinbear
Uthaithani said:

Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

While Cal eked by a team that went 3-9 last year and was without their starting QB and RB to boot. And they looked a whole lot worse than the Cal team that beat said 3-9 team on that team's home field last year.

Yes I'd much rather have Jeff Tedford than Justin Wilcox. I'm fully convinced the academic problems had everything to do with lack of administrative support and nothing at all to do with Sonny Dykes being some genius at tutoring football players.

The APR went down under JT because the administration wouldn't give him the resources, which they are now providing (and surprise, APR went up).

Other than the APR, which was not his fault, History has shown JT is head and shoulders above either of his replacements. I don't know how anyone can dispute that at this point, it's an obvious truth.
I'll dispute it. JT recruited players who were below Cal's standards and then lost his way in managing the ensuing, predictable breakdown.
PtownBear1
Rushinbear said:

Uthaithani said:

Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

I'll dispute it. JT recruited players who were below Cal's standards and then lost his way in managing the ensuing, predictable breakdown.

I read that post and thought it was so ridiculous I wouldn't even dignify it with a response.

Speaking of JT, this game was eerily reminiscent of a few games from that era where the defense took care of business and the offense was anemic. Although we ended up on the losing end of those games from what I recall.
calumnus
Uthaithani said:

Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

Tedford was at Cal for 12 years. Over his last 6 seasons at Cal, from 2007 until 2012, Tedford had a losing record in Pac-12 play. His teams were getting progressively worse. His health was horrible, he could have died. Our academic ranking was among the worst in the NCAA. Blaming the administration for that after they spent hundreds to f millions and built him the Student Athletic High Performance Center filled with tutors right next to the stadium seems disengenuous.

His successors have not (yet) improved in the overall W/L record, and gotten us to contend for a conference title, hopefully Wilcox does, but if he does not, it does not mean Tedford is the answer by default. It will be some other young energic coach, like Tedford was in 2001 and Wilcox is now.
LunchTime
Zippergate said:

--Coach Wilcox

So why did we run the ball up the middle 30 times?!?

Some stats for the negabears...
* 3.4 yards per play.
* One play over 20 yards
* 19 first downs in 15 drives
* 4 of 17 on 3rd downs
* Outgained rushing. Outgained passing.
* 0 sacks, 2 TFLs. NC had 4 sacks and 10 TFLs

We had 119 yards passing on 32 attempts. WHY DID WE PASS 32 TIMES?!?
LunchTime
Uthaithani said:

Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

Tedford may have recovered by now, but zero chance of that while at Cal. He needed a break, and honestly, he was killing the program he built.

I still think he should get a statue on campus someday, but the idea that he would be good NOW if he stayed is ridiculous. He might be better than what we have if he came back, but not if he stayed.
Zippergate
You're joking, right? Nothing wrong with running the ball. Problem is it was the same back between the tackles every single time...and it wasn't working.
calumnus
Zippergate said:

You're joking, right? Nothing wrong with running the ball. Problem is it was the same back between the tackles every single time...and it wasn't working.

With a big, aggressive defense, you need to get those big bodies moving in the wrong direction. What you don't do is be predictable or run right at them.
Bear19
Uthaithani said:

Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

Uth weighs in with another shot at Wilcox. Not original, but if nothing else, Uth is consistent. Since bashing Wilcox is all Uth ever writes, these posts must be judged on their cleverness, use of language, colorful metaphors, style - the content is too repetitive to be useful.

Uth's post this week has about the same punch & impact as Cal's offense against UNC. Both Uth & Cal need to up their games to be taken seriously.
SoFlaBear
Uthaithani said:

Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

There are two Tedford eras: the era before he throws the clipboard at the 2007 Oregon State game; and the Tedford after he throws the clipboard at the 2007 Oregon State game. The first era had a really good coach - anyone here will grant that. That second Jeff Tedford era did not feature a great coach or recruiter. Even when we got a standout like Keenan Allen, we were saddled with some horrific play calling and quarterbacking.

Dykes has a better resume than Tedford did when he was hired - it was comparable to Bruce Snyder's resume. On paper, it wasn't a bad hire, but he was never a good fit in Berkeley.

We are a year and a game into the Wilcox era. I think it's too soon to say whether you'r rather have Wilcox versus any other Cal coach.
Northside91
There is no pre and post discussion. Failing to make a statement against Southern Miss and taking a crap in the Holiday Bowl was 2004. Failing to win the conference outright with massive talent was 2006. Losing three times with that team was a freaking joke, and it easily could have been 4 with the dreadful home game against UW.

His most impressive season was his first. After that, it was the Rodgers lightning strike, eating gallons of foie gras in Blackhawk and looking like Jabba in the end. Dignified it was not.
ducky23
Northside91 said:

There is no pre and post discussion. Failing to make a statement against Southern Miss and taking a crap in the Holiday Bowl was 2004. Failing to win the conference outright with massive talent was 2006. Losing three times with that team was a freaking joke, and it easily could have been 4 with the dreadful home game against UW.

His most impressive season was his first. After that, it was the Rodgers lightning strike, eating gallons of foie gras in Blackhawk and looking like Jabba in the end. Dignified it was not.

Believing that he didn't have to run up the score against so miss was his biggest sin.
LunchTime
Zippergate said:

No it wasnt. It may have seemed like that, but watch the game again. A number of runs were closed down on the outside by fast LBs and bad WR blocking.
Chapman_is_Gone
LunchTime said:

Uthaithani said:

Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

Tedford may have recovered by now, but zero chance of that while at Cal. He needed a break, and honestly, he was killing the program he built.

I still think he should get a statue on campus someday, but the idea that he would be good NOW if he stayed is ridiculous. He might be better than what we have if he came back, but not if he stayed.
A statue on campus? Are you joking? Tedford never even led us to a major bowl... You need to raise your standards.
Calfans
The Stadium remodel and the High Performance Center are tributes to Coach Tedford.
Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

bearsandgiants
This is very true. We may not have a bcs program today if it weren't for tedford's effort. But criticisms of his pre-2007 failures are more than fair. 2002 was great. 2003 was where it started to fall apart with conservatism. Starting with nearly blowing a massive lead against u$c.
calumnus
LunchTime said:

Zippergate said:

No it wasnt. It may have seemed like that, but watch the game again. A number of runs were closed down on the outside by fast LBs and bad WR blocking.

When the defense is that big, fast and aggressive you need to take advantage with misdirection. I still think that all the spread formations, even empty backfields, using a bunch of freshmen WRs, is not an advantageous use of our personnel.
Cal89
The lofty hopes that I have for Cal football are due to JT and in particular the first half of that era...

Next to Southern Cal, no Pac-10 team won as often as Cal. Our recruiting classes up through 2007 were about 3rd best based upon average stars. As high as 2nd and low as fourth a couple times. Good solid recruiting, not approaching elite classes. He and his staff were credited quite a bit, and often, with developing that incoming talent. Maybe JT would have achieved more in those earlier years without the CMS obstruction, tree sit BS. Maybe Southern Cal wouldn't have been quite as good without their shenanigans... What JT did last year at Fresno State is reminiscent to how he started here. I watched the Bulldogs the previous year, and they were the worst team in the conference, losing to SJSU in the finale.

Back to Cal... I like to put things in perspective. We just beat North Carolina, again. An ACC team with an established HC and staff that has been to bowl games 8 of the last 10 years. We just came-off one of the worst 4-5 year stretches in Cal football, and had been to just two bowl games in the past 7 years. The North Carolina recruiting classes the previous years that comprised their rosters last year and this season, notably higher ranked than ours. JW and staff delivered wins though...

The next two games, Cal will be playing teams that didn't out-recruit them, based upon average star classes.

I still think we go 3-0, like last season, then our wonderfully timed BYE before we get the Ducks at home. Of note, that will be their first road game, after four at home to start the season. And, they will have had Stanford the week before us. This is the crux game that I'm calling for Cal in my 6-1 to 7-0 start, that I still stand by, albeit somewhat more reluctantly after our offensive showing on Saturday. We damn near beat Arizona last year (overtime loss), and beating UCLA in Berkeley is not a stretch either. And the Beavs is a game we expect to win... Enter UW in Berkeley for game eight.
Sig test...
510 Bear
Cal89 said:

Back to Cal... I like to put things in perspective. We just beat North Carolina, again. An ACC team with an established HC and staff that has been to bowl games 8 of the last 10 years. We just came-off one of the worst 4-5 year stretches in Cal football, and had been to just two bowl games in the past 7 years. The North Carolina recruiting classes the previous years that comprised their rosters last year and this season, notably higher ranked than ours. JW and staff delivered wins though...

The next two games, Cal will be playing teams that didn't out-recruit them, based upon average star classes.

I still think we go 3-0, like last season, then our wonderfully timed BYE before we get the Ducks at home. Of note, that will be their first road game, after four at home to start the season. And, they will have had Stanford the week before us. This is the crux game that I'm calling for Cal in my 6-1 to 7-0 start, that I still stand by, albeit somewhat more reluctantly after our offensive showing on Saturday. We damn near beat Arizona last year (overtime loss), and beating UCLA in Berkeley is not a stretch either. And the Beavs is a game we expect to win... Enter UW in Berkeley for game eight.
Oh my. Your post made me realize we really have to stretch to spin Saturday's win as a "quality" win and our remaining games as hopeful based on what we saw, especially if Goode is out for the year.

I'm thinking the start will be more like 2-5. I doubt we get picked off by an FCS team, though with Cal football, "you never know". But the Pac-12 season looks like it'll be really ugly unless we see some kind of miracle development in Provo next week.
Cal89
510 Bear said:

Cal89 said:

Oh my. Your post made me realize we really have to stretch to spin Saturday's win as a "quality" win and our remaining games as hopeful based on what we saw, especially if Goode is out for the year.

I'm thinking the start will be more like 2-5. I doubt we get picked off by an FCS team, though with Cal football, "you never know". But the Pac-12 season looks like it'll be really ugly unless we see some kind of miracle development in Provo next week.
We honestly won't know if it's a quality win until at least a few games into the season, and by then we'll know how good or not so good we are via other games, notably Pac-12 ones... I wasn't trying to make the case that it was a quality win. I am very disappointed in the offense and that the D didn't close well.

For those worried about the talent still to face us in the Pac-12, at 3.2 average star classes, UNC would be in the top 1/3 of our conference... That's top 30 classes nationally.

We need not minimize the win either because UNC is not Texas by name, or that it's a hoops school. We beat a talented team.

Sig test...
Another Bear
My, my the NEGABEARS are out trolling! I really want to say something nasty and cruel but you know what, CAL WON. Why wreck it?

Okay, I won't say anything nasty or cruel but I will make an observation that...Negabars of this caliber are the kind of guys who get fragged.

Cal89
Some can make the argument that UNC took us lightly in 2017. One can see how given the last year under JT and the SD years... With a first year HC and QB, Cal simply "surprised" them... That certainly didn't happen on Saturday.

I don't know if it was this thread or another, but my colleague is a UNC grad and worked on the team. Last year was an aberration for them. It all started with Cal and they were hell bent on returning the favor in our house and starting the season on a wining note.

However, we were up 17-0 then 24-3 to end of the 3rd period. And, we won. As I explained to my buddy who attended with me, it was a slow bludgeoning, and not pretty at all. Offensively, it was four quarters of non-productive football that must be sorted-out. It was the worst Cal offense in a very long time, more so than last year, which I find bothersome. And defensively, it was three quarters of the best D we had seen in ages. And not just good relative to very poor Cal defenses in recent years, but damn good as in yards per play allowed. That last quarter or so deserves some special attention to understand what happened...

If we would have had the passing game production we had against them last season, my 42-17 might have been spot-on. I have a hard time believing our passing game will continue to be worse than 2017...
Sig test...
Yogi58
Uthaithani said:

Yogi Bear said:

Shoreline said:

Lost to Minnesota 21-14. I hope there are many more losses to come.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.