joe starkey

36,302 Views | 263 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OdontoBear66
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Joe Starkey has been doing Cal football since Jesus of Nazareth was roaming the hills of Palestine. i expect him to broadcast games in toga and sandals. He is at this point in his career a color man masquerading as a play-by-play man. he summarizes plays after the play has been completed. Is there no one who will have mercy on Cal fans over there at KGO??at this rate, Roxy bernstein will be a great-grandfather seven times over before he takes over the reins.
KNBearR
Starkey is definitely having problems keeping up with the game. This was also an ongoing issue last year. During today's game Starkey mentioned the game next week against BYU then he changed that to a game against Utah as the game next week when finally Mike Pawlawski had to correct him because he couldn't get it right. I think there is possibly some dementia creeping in.
hotlanta
I'm afraid that Joe's getting a little long in the tooth. Did I hear though that he is being inducted into the Cal sports Hall of Fame. That would be an award well earned and a perfect time to replace him with Roxy.
BadNewsBear1
Starkey has been a horrible play-by-play guy forever, not just the last year.

On top of that, I lost my house when he said to bet the farm that Cal would kill Temple in the Garden State Bowl!
smh
BadNewsBear1 said:

Starkey has been a horrible play-by-play guy forever, not just the last year.

On top of that, I lost my house when he said to bet the farm that Cal would kill Temple in the Garden State Bowl!
yeahbut, he's *our* horrible play-by-play guy.

GSB.. dint need the reminder.

signed, season ticket holders 1971 (awol 74-5) thru the end of hardcopy media guides.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
ducky23
Forget about Starkey, the postgame guys are the worst, absolutely the worst.

just a quick example from yesterday

segment 1 - talk about the QB controversy the niners had in the late 1950's

ad break

segment 2 - talk about the injury to INSIDE LINEBACKER cameron goode, but don't worry because we have depth at that position with guys like Jordan Weaver

ad break

segment 3 - go over scores from other games (managed to not screw that up)

ad break

segment 4 - go over next opponent byu. this consisted of the analysis of the 1957 byu - utah game and the cal/byu vegas bowl.

There was ZERO. ZERO!!!! analysis of the actual game.

look i grew up listening to the Cupper when I was a kid, so there will always be a soft spot for him. but the postgame has just become embarrassing
85Bear
ducky23 said:

<examples deleted for brevity>

Totally agree. Postgame show is a waste of time, same as last year.
SoFlaBear
You can't fire Starkey: let's take that as a given. I don't know if Roxy's deal with ESPN allows him to do Cal FB. Assuming it does, I agree 100% with moving Starkey to color and having a 3 man booth. I'd sweeten that further and give him a Vin Scully/Bob Uecker deal where he only does home games and @ Stanfurd in the booth and spends away games at the Claremont with Cupper doing pregame/halftime/post game commentary.
wifeisafurd
ducky23 said:

just a quick example from yesterday

segment 1 - talk about the QB controversy the niners had in the late 1950's

ad break

segment 2 - talk about the injury to INSIDE LINEBACKER cameron goode, but don't worry because we have depth at that position with guys like Jordan Weaver

ad break

segment 3 - go over scores from other games (managed to not screw that up)

ad break

segment 4 - go over next opponent byu. this consisted of the analysis of the 1957 byu - utah game and the cal/byu vegas bowl.

look i grew up listening to the Cupper when I was a kid, so there will always be a soft spot for him. but the postgame has just become embarrassing
why can't we get McKim with some young articulate football alums that want to be broadcasters to do this?
randythebear
Joe should retire and we should get Greg Papa.
oskigobears
or Mike Pawlawski!!!!
ducky23
Honest question

How many of you actually listen to starkey?

I mean, you're either at the game or watching on tv right?

I know some people try to listen while at the game, but I can't figure out how people do that with the lag
bearister
He holds the Guinness Book of World Records record for surviving off the vapors of one play call for the most decades.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Golden One
randythebear said:

Please, not Greg Papa. He pronounces our school "Kale". Drives me nuts.
muddlehead1
Went to the SLC Tedford debacle vs Utes in 2012. Starting Thursday before the Saturday games, fantastic football analysis and discussion on the radio re: Utes, BYU, and Utah State. Great to hear. Obviously, we're just not in a college football area. To the point of the thread - Starkey and the post game are shockingly pathetic.
helltopay1
Dear Golden: We should be so lucky to get a top-notch pro like Papa. papa may be a Hall of Fame candidate in the future. Pawlawski is really quite good. So is Roxy. mcKim is also good. Ted Robinson is also good, although he is not my cup of tea. geeky looking and a bit anal-retentive. Overwhelms you with trivia and is not a home-grown lad. Gives you thge impression that, if Cal played Slippery Rock, he really wouldn't care who won. his partner, Tim Ryan is very good but is strictly a color man. Dennis O'Donnell????He must be related to someone in the Niner organization, right???Otherwise, he's servicing someone. Is anyone else annoyed by all those interview cut-aways in split-screen while the game is on??Jesus!!!" and," how did you feel when your Mother gave you your first football?" 'and, how do find parking in SF?" " And, what's your favorite meal?" "back to you, ted"
Golden One
helltopay1 said:

Dear Golden: We should be so lucky to get a top-notch pro like Papa. papa may be a Hall of Fame candidate in the future. Pawlawski is really quite good. So is Roxy. mcKim is also good. Ted Robinson is also good, although he is not my cup of tea. geeky looking and a bit anal-retentive. Overwhelms you with trivia and is not a home-grown lad. Gives you thge impression that, if Cal played Slippery Rock, he really wouldn't care who won. his partner, Tim Ryan is very good but is strictly a color man. Dennis O'Donnell????He must be related to someone in the Niner organization, right???Otherwise, he's servicing someone. Is anyone else annoyed by all those interview cut-aways in split-screen while the game is on??Jesus!!!" and," how did you feel when your Mother gave you your first football?" 'and, how do find parking in SF?" " And, what's your favorite meal?" "back to you, ted"
I like Pawlawki and McKim. Ted Robinson is too close to Stanfurd. I'd love to have Roxy as play-by-play guy. But, please not Papa. He just can't pronounce "Cal", and hearing him say "Kale" 1000 times during a broadcast would just drive me nuts.
Sebastabear
Don't care, don't care, don't care. Starkey needs to stay in that job until Cal wins the Rose Bowl. He can do the broadcast from a nursing home as far as I'm concerned.
bearister
bearister
My vote goes to Pawlawski. He has the passion, he walked the walk and he has the knowledge, all factors that make Dallas Braden great (yes, I know he is color, but both he and Mike have the ability to move up).
82gradDLSdad
85Bear said:

ducky23 said:

<examples deleted for brevity>

Totally agree. Postgame show is a waste of time, same as last year.

Yep. It gets my wife laughing though when I do my cupper impressions.
philbert
Please change that postgame show with the Cupper and whoever that other guy is. Those guys must be doing the show for free for Learfield to use them.
Golden One
Sebastabear said:

Don't care, don't care, don't care. Starkey needs to stay in that job until Cal wins the Rose Bowl. He can do the broadcast from a nursing home as far as I'm concerned.
None of us, especially Starkey, is likely to live that long.
Sebastabear
Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

None of us, especially Starkey, is likely to live that long.
Ha. Agree with that. Love Starkey but Cupper has to go. After a game last year he started babbling about the legend of Prometheus - getting most of the story wrong to boot. Don't think we ever got the stats from the game.
SoFlaBear
ducky23 said:

Honest question

I know some people try to listen while at the game, but I can't figure out how people do that with the lag
I do. I wanted to listen to the KGO stream this weekend, but it was unavailable on Tune-In (don't know why - never been a problem in the past) and Sirius XM only carried the UNC broadcast. As often as not, Cal games get mediocre to terrible broadcast teams, and I'm a homer, so why not listen to homer commentary?
SoFlaBear
randythebear said:

Oh, Jeebus No!

No Greg Papa. No Steve Physioc. No Ted Robinson.
OldenBear
SoFlaBear said:

randythebear said:

Oh, Jeebus No!

No Greg Papa. No Steve Physioc. No Ted Robinson.
This. Many many times over. And I know there is a soft spot for Roxy on this board, but his voice grates - I think it's too nasal-ly...
GivemTheAxe
ducky23 said:

Honest question

Despite his deficiencies I still like Starkey. And I listen to him when I am at the game and when the game is on TV (I turn down the sound on TV). I like his spirit
calbear80
I LOVE JOE STARKEY.

Joe Starkey is Cal Football to me. I have listened to him do Cal Football for 42+ years.

Please keep Joe Starkey.

Go Bears!
MSaviolives
Just the worst calls at the end of the game onside kick attempts. Joe wouldn't or couldn't actually make a call as to what transpired, or who had possession. Just a lot of commentary like we were watching, but of course we were not watching because it was a radio call. Finally, from context only, we were able to figure out that NC had recovered the ball but there was a question of a penalty. Eventually, Joe finally announced that "they" recovered the ball--which I suppose we should know is "them those" guys, and not "us" or "the Bears." And then, the penalty was announced. Horrible, inexcusable lack of a call for two consecutive crucial plays at the end of the game.
bearister
Papa's style: He had you believing the Raiders still had a chance in a hopeless game.

Starkey's style: He has you believing the Bears have no chance to win a game they are going to win.
GivemTheAxe
bearister said:

Papa's style: He had you believing the Raiders still had a chance in a hopeless game.

Starkey's style: He has you believing the Bears have no chance to win a game they are going to win.

That's because he has been announcing Cal football for an awful long time and knows how Calcan snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
TomBear
I for one really enjoy Starkey, despite his deficiencies.

I invite any of you to listen (if you can) to other PXP announcers on opposing schools' networks. Some of them are incredibly awful. Others are pretty competent, but nowhere near as fun to listen to (IMHO). Having been a commentator covering Oregon and UW many years ago, I can tell you that overall, the quality of broadcasting throughout the Pac has gone down significantly. Voices used to be informative, really appreciate the school's they represented, and the color and pageantry of the game above and beyond the play on the field. Starkey still has this ability. Few capture the atmosphere and peripheral events around the game as Joe does. Additionally, Joe does a much better job of helping us get to know players than all the others I've heard, particularly when he talks to them about their academic pursuits and their Cal experience. He still has fun with the game (and the game SHOULD be fun!), and though he does miss some details of plays, he still gets enough info that you don't lose anything of major importance.

Joe also has an appreciation for the alumni activities, Cal Band, and Cal lore that isn't acknowledged on most (if not all) of the other competitor's networks.

I must mention, however, that I have not heard the new UW crew. Bob Rondeau was excellent when he did Husky games, and he was, (along with Starkey) the best the Pac had.
petalumabear
Starkey is the worst. He can the Cupper in conversation must be the most painful ever..... I will go almost any distance to avoid Starkey. I want to know what' going on during the game.... not what he remembers about the play that's unfolding in front of him. Hell. If he'd recap what happened AFTER the play was over I could probably tolerate that but no that'll never happen either.

Retire Starkey please!
bearister
petalumabear said:

Starkey is the worst. He can the Cupper in conversation must be the most painful ever..... I will go almost any distance to avoid Starkey. I want to know what' going on during the game.... not what he remembers about the play that's unfolding in front of him. Hell. If he'd recap what happened AFTER the play was over I could probably tolerate that but no that'll never happen either.

Retire Starkey please!

*Leigh Taylor Young was smokin' back in the day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.