joe starkey

36,599 Views | 263 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OdontoBear66
prospeCt
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFCityBear
bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

Senior moment. The guy I knew was Erdley.
You are too young to be having senior moments.

You are one of the few around here that has the standing to make that comment. Looking forward to your hoop analysis this season but I have the feeling that you are really going to have your work cut out for you.
As for senior moments, I refuse to have them. It's a new strategy. I've tried everything else.

We have plenty of good analysts on the BI. As for the team, I hope they are good enough to get me out of my cave up in Sutro Forest and across the Bridge to Haas this season.

Go Bears!
GMP
https://instagr.am/p/Bqnc2SkhLd-

Listen to this terrible call by Starkey on Hicks' pick six. TWICE he calls it a "gift" interception and says that it was gifted "right into his hands."

That was NOT a gift interception. Hicks began the play about ten yards off the LOS, read the play and broke immediately at the snap. In fact, his read and break were almost too good - he nearly ran by the ball and had to turn inside to catch it.

Starkey can't understand what is happening in the game and takes away from a great play by one of our players because of it.
82gradDLSdad
Both dbs broke early on that ball. Lot of scouting and coaching on that side of the ball.
KenBurnski
Who blocked/rolled the Colorado player right before Hicks scored? Was a real clean exclamation point on a SEXY play
TheFiatLux
GMP said:

Listen to this terrible call by Starkey on Hicks' pick six. TWICE he calls it a "gift" interception and says that it was gifted "right into his hands."

That was NOT a gift interception. Hicks began the play about ten yards off the LOS, read the play and broke immediately at the snap. In fact, his read and break were almost too good - he nearly ran by the ball and had to turn inside to catch it.

Starkey can't understand what is happening in the game and takes away from a great play by one of our players because of it.
omg, honestly? He actually describes the play almost perfectly. Like, if you were listening on the radio you would know almost exactly what happened. There are LOTS of things to get on Joe about, but not this one, and certainly not for teh reason you site, as if he is going to extemporaneously be able to see and then call that in the moment. Come on man.

(why did I click on this?)
TheFiatLux
KenBurnski said:

Who blocked/rolled the Colorado player right before Hicks scored? Was a real clean exclamation point on a SEXY play
I love how the dude just falls back like a sack of potatos (wait a second, does a sack of potatos fall back???)
KenBurnski
It's fantastic viewing. He just crumpled up like a sack of Rocky Mountain oysters. I like these food similes. Food Network is full tilt on their holiday programming and I'm not into the baking stuff. So BI comes through again.
Jackieridgle
helltopay1 said:

Joe Starkey has been doing Cal football since Jesus of Nazareth was roaming the hills of Palestine. i expect him to broadcast games in toga and sandals. He is at this point in his career a color man masquerading as a play-by-play man. he summarizes plays after the play has been completed. Is there no one who will have mercy on Cal fans over there at KGO??at this rate, Roxy bernstein will be a great-grandfather seven times over before he takes over the reins.

I don't think Roxy would give up tv to do radio for Cal
cal83dls79
TheFiatLux said:

KenBurnski said:

I love how the dude just falls back like a sack of potatos (wait a second, does a sack of potatos fall back???)
it was 96. That was as my favorite part of that play acutually. And I say yes, potato sacks can fall back. In the spring they go forward.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Go!Bears
TheFiatLux said:

KenBurnski said:

That sack of potatoes was Montez, compounding his misery.
GMP
TheFiatLux said:

GMP said:

omg, honestly? He actually describes the play almost perfectly. Like, if you were listening on the radio you would know almost exactly what happened. There are LOTS of things to get on Joe about, but not this one, and certainly not for teh reason you site, as if he is going to extemporaneously be able to see and then call that in the moment. Come on man.

First, a lot of announcers CAN and DO see that and call it live. Second, his default should be that we made a great play, not that the QB made a terrible one, and then he can review the replay and provide the analysis (which isn't even his job to begin with).
bearister
Joe Starkey = Brent Musburger*

*Which is why Raider games are no longer listenable on the radio (..and Lincoln Kennedy said "Cleveland Bengals.")
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
FuzzyWuzzy
KenBurnski said:

DE Tevin Paul with the block, QB Steven Montez with the roll. Block n roll Gucci goo!
KenBurnski
Thanks
FuzzyWuzzy
GMP said:

TheFiatLux said:

GMP said:

First, a lot of announcers CAN and DO see that and call it live. Second, his default should be that we made a great play, not that the QB made a terrible one, and then he can review the replay and provide the analysis (which isn't even his job to begin with).
I have to agree with Fiat. The play by play announcer is watching the ball. The QB throws the ball right to the defender, who is several yards away from the intended receiver. What's more, it's in the flat, giving the defender a clear path to the EZ. In the moment, that sure looks like a gift.

I think you are expecting too much for the play by play guy to realize that it was a disguised coverage, really good scouting and good execution that allowed Elijah to be in the right place at the right moment. That stuff only became apparent on replay and hearing Elijah talk about it in the post game interview.
OdontoBear66
As I listened to Mike Montgomery on the play by play in tonights BB game with Santa Clara, I thought of this Joe Starkey thread....Right here we have a comparison....Well, no, it is no comparison.....Analysis
FuzzyWuzzy
Mm is a color guy
FuzzyWuzzy
Mm is a color guy
OdontoBear66
FuzzyWuzzy said:

Mm is a color guy
So I'm comparing apples and oranges, but still. What great analysis of what is going on. What insight. The comparison of how we are fed Cal FB and last night's BB announcing (analysis or play by play) is dramatically different. And yes, having been around forever myself, I love Joe Starkey as a part of Cal FB history. But folks at 77 it is time to move on. Give him the post game show, not the game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.