SMU leading TCU early 7-0 LOL

4,043 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NYCGOBEARS
sonofabear51
How long do you want to ignore this user?
51 yard run to take an early lead. Guess we will see how long this lasts.
Start Slowly and taper off
sonofabear51
9-0 now. LOL
NYCGOBEARS
I'd actually love it if Sonny beats TCU.
MB Cal Golf
The weather is causing the balm to be loose - lots of Texas rain. SMU should be up 17 - bad penalty on a punt return and the safety was inches away from bein smu first and goal inside the one.
sonofabear51
Agreed. Right now it seems to be pretty one sided. Time will tell. I remember very well when Dickerson and James were there. That was a great backfield.
sonofabear51
MB agree
bear2034
NYCGOBEARS said:

I'd actually love it if Sonny beats TCU.
Sonny owns the state of Texas.
bear2034
SMU 114 yards
TCU 60 yards
end of 1st. defense mustangs defense.
sonofabear51
TCU missed FG
MB Cal Golf
This is a huge TCU look ahead game with Ohio State next week and SMU getting steam rolled by North Texas last week.
sonofabear51
TCU punt return for td
sonofabear51
By Turpin.
MB Cal Golf
Rout is on 14-9 TCU
sonofabear51
TCU up now. Done.
OneKeg
TCU rolls 42-12. Nice solid cover on the 22.5 line.

SMU scoreless in second half.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
So, the Sonny Offense was responsible for only 10 points. Zero pts in the 2nd half (quite the rousing halftime speech must've been). 1st drive of 2nd half resulted in a fumble returned for TCU TD. Next 5 Sonny-Meth drives gained a total of 12 yards combined and all ended in PUNTS. In the first half after that 1st impressive drive resulting in TD, the next 6 all ended in PUNTS. Has he lost his Offensive touch? I hope he regains it so that he may close out his career with some dignity somewhere(s) as OC.

Sonny Defense allows 42 pts, 28 points in the 2nd half, 247 rush yds. Definitely a Sonny Defense which will only get worse in Pass Defense in non-rainy conditions (North Texas gained 461 Pass yds on Sonny-Meth-D in the previous game).
killa22
Sonny should've stuck with the Air Raid. Lashlees Malzahn Power spread kinda blows.
BearChemist
killa22 said:

Sonny should've stuck with the Air Raid. Lashlees Malzahn Power spread kinda blows.
Doesn't fit in the "Sonny Dykes Air Raid sucks" narrative.
killa22
BearChemist said:

killa22 said:

Doesn't fit in the "Sonny Dykes Air Raid sucks" narrative.

True, but you can not deny the success that Franklin and Spavital have had offensively. They can coach an offense. Defense and overall program planning/organization/resource allocation were the problems.
calumnus
killa22 said:

Does it? I would think it would depend on personnel, mostly. What did Chad Morris run last year? If it was a variation of Air Raid, then by all means, Sonny should have stuck with that.
killa22
calumnus said:

killa22 said:

Does it? I would think it would depend on personnel, mostly. What did Chad Morris run last year? If it was a variation of Air Raid, then by all means, Sonny should have stuck with that.

Rhett Lashlee comes from the same coaching tree of offense as Chad Morris. So the idea of keeping continuity kinda make sense. but if you're Sonny effin Dykes who is an OG Air Raider, then trying something that you really are not from an identity standpoint is a huge mistake.

Look at Hawaii for example, only now going back to the run and shoot. You gotta do you as a coach, can't try to be something you are not.
socaliganbear
killa22 said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

Rhett Lashlee comes from the same coaching tree of offense as Chad Morris. So the idea of keeping continuity kinda make sense. but if you're Sonny effin Dykes who is an OG Air Raider, then trying something that you really are not from an identity standpoint is a huge mistake.

Look at Hawaii for example, only now going back to the run and shoot. You gotta do you as a coach, can't try to be something you are not.

Random: around how old are you?
calbearinamaze
Below is a bit from PonyFans.com. For me there are lol lines in there. But then, I'm looking
for humor from almost anywhere...including 1600 Penn.

Being a Cal Fan: "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Trick Pony Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:40 pm
What term is referred to as a respectable loss I keep forgetting I should know that being an SMU fan

SMU_Alum11 Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:41 pm
I really don't understand why we aren't giving the kid a shot. Ben Hicks is worthless. Bench him!
Sonny Dykes -- Worst hire ever.

Arkpony Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:42 pm
Quote:

One Trick Pony wrote:What term is referred to as a respectable loss I keep forgetting I should know that being an SMU fan
I would wait a few. This game ain't over yet. They will score and we will still have Hicks.
Long live Inez Perez!

mtrout Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:42 pm
Arkpony wrote:Be nice if Brown got a series
He got like 2 plays. What more could you ask for. Welcome to Hicksville

Arkpony Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:44 pm 5yards offense 3rd quarter
Long live Inez Perez!

SMU_Alum11 Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:45 pm I hear the staples guy: "that was easy".
Sonny Dykes -- Worst hire ever.
[url=http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4688][/url]
Trick Pony Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:45 pm
Quote:

Arkpony wrote:
Quote:

One Trick Pony wrote:What term is referred to as a respectable loss I keep forgetting I should know that being an SMU fan
I would wait a few. This game ain't over yet. They will score and we will still have Hicks.
Yes but what's it called I forgot
[url=http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4688][[/url]
mrydel Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:46 pm

Quote:

Moral victory
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand

Arkpony Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:47 pm

The spread was 22. Some thought that was not enough.
Long live Inez Perez!
[url=http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1040][[/url]
PonySnob Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Thank god for bourbon!
Peruna is my mascot!

tequila4kapp
killa22 said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

It's yet another example of a terrible HC decision. His O works. If there's anything he shouldn't shy away from it's that.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
killa22 said:

True, but you can not deny the success that Franklin and Spavital have had offensively. They can coach an offense. Defense and overall program planning/organization/resource allocation were the problems.

Looking at some of Franklin's & Spavital's post-Cal #s:

Franklin '16 Total O/gm 518 yds, Total D 450, pts/gm 39.7, pts allowed 35.8, 8-5 record.
Franklin '17 Total O/gm 395 yds, Total D 361, pts/gm 25.5, pts allowed 24.7, 7-6 record.
Franklin '18: 35-7 L to Vanderbilt. Total O 294 yds, Total D 346. Time of Poss: Middle Tenn 31, Vandy 29.

Spavital '17 Total O 460 yds, Total D 446, pts/gm 34.5, pts allowed 31.5, 7-6 record.
Spavital '18: 40-14 W over Tenn Vols. Total O 547 yds, Total D 301. Time of Poss: W Virginia 27, Tenn 32. AP 14, Coaches 17.
ColoradoBear
Wonder how Dykes' buyout at SMU is worded. I can think of various circumstances where if he's fired from SMU before his contract with Cal expires then Cal is back on the hook for larger buyout payments.

So hope he sees middling success at SMU for a bit. There are no TCU's in the American Conference. Problem is there are a lot of teams about as good as N Texas or better.
BearsWiin
Nobody understands just how horrible the situation was at SMU when Dykes took over. He can't be held responsible for how badly they perform this year. Perfect storm, and all that.
NYCGOBEARS
Yeah, he's the CFB Disaster Artist.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.