We're going to learn a lot this evening vs. BYU

3,871 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Big C
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One game is just one game. But two games? That's two games!

First, after last week, I just hope we get the win (and live to fight another day). Heck, we all had this one penciled in as a victory, so, if it's not, we might be in trouble. If we can scratch and claw our way to 7-5 this year, hopefully we can keep up (and even improve) the recruiting for the next couple of seasons, setting the stage for even more wins down the road. No way have I given up hope for 8-4 this year, I'm just setting a floor. (The basement floor might be 6-6.)

Second, you know, the offense. Maybe BYU stops us, but at least let's not be sitting here tomorrow with REAL reasons to second-guess things we had all taken as a given only two weeks ago (competent coaching, improved QB and OL play).

Here we go, Bears!
hanky1
UNC stinks. Yeah we'll learn a lot after this game.
NYCGOBEARS
I hope we like what we learn.
ducky23
It's very possible cal unc az and BYU are all bad
alarsuel
Probable
NYCGOBEARS
At least we're not Fucla?
heartofthebear
UCLA best the spread, FWIW
MiZery
Unc got killed by Eastern Carolina on the road.

Are we worse than ECU?
heartofthebear
MiZery said:

Are we worse than ECU?
The answer to the above question is the same answer to the following question
Do we have an offense that can win a game?
tigertim
heartofthebear said:

MiZery said:

Are we worse than ECU?
The answer to the above question is the same answer to the following question
Do we have an offense that can win a game?
Cal put up like 250 yards in the second half. If we hadn't turned the ball over 3 times in the second half it'd have been a complete blowout. Team is frustrating to watch at times, but there's definitely something here.
Big C
Post mortem:

1. We won. Still a decent chance to go 7-5. I'll take it.

2. This time, it looked like Baldwin knew what he was doing. Problem is, I don't really LIKE what he's doing. McIlwain is still surprising defenses, but they will figure that out very soon. It's 2018: We will never have a potent offense without at least pretty good pocket passing.
Sebastabear
What we learned is we know how to get the W. Go Bears!
Larno
What we learned is that Cal has so far shown it has a good defense, regardless of who they've played so far. To beat BYU at home is a big deal for Cal this year, and even with the excitement at the end I'll take it. To say one team is better than another because they beat a common opponent by a higher margin is questionable because of the different match-ups. etc. Yeah, Alabama is clearly better than Cal but ECU? No way to tell without playing them.
bear2034
We learned we are one step closer to bowl eligibility.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

First, after last week, I just hope we get the win (and live to fight another day). Heck, we all had this one penciled in as a victory, so, if it's not, we might be in trouble. If we can scratch and claw our way to 7-5 this year, hopefully we can keep up (and even improve) the recruiting for the next couple of seasons, setting the stage for even more wins down the road. No way have I given up hope for 8-4 this year, I'm just setting a floor. (The basement floor might be 6-6.)

Second, you know, the offense. Maybe BYU stops us, but at least let's not be sitting here tomorrow with REAL reasons to second-guess things we had all taken as a given only two weeks ago (competent coaching, improved QB and OL play).

Here we go, Bears!
How about that hit by Ashtyn Davis coming out of nowhere preventing a first down?
FuzzyWuzzy
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Here we go, Bears!
How about that hit by Ashtyn Davis coming out of nowhere preventing a first down?
I'm liking our whole secondary! Ashtyn, Jaylinn, Camryn, Elijah, Traveon, Quentin, Josh (who am I leaving out) are balling. Our corners have been lock down, especially Camryn.
bear2034
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Here we go, Bears!
That was an awesome hit! It's refreshing to see our defense hitting people!
heartofthebear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Here we go, Bears!
I'm liking our whole secondary! Ashtyn, Jaylinn, Camryn, Elijah, Traveon, Quentin, Josh (who am I leaving out) are balling. Our corners have been lock down, especially Camryn.
You forgot Rambo
mvargus
MiZery said:

Are we worse than ECU?
Remember that UNC was allowed to stagger their suspensions and several of their best players played against Cal, but were suspended for the ECU game.
tequila4kapp
This team has an identity and I like it. It's a personal preference but I much prefer tough minded D football to some other recent stuff. This team is fun to follow...when it's not giving you a heart artack.
upsetof86
Apart from the rotating qb deal this is very old school football. ~70 offensive plays, major proportion running, only a handful of explosive plays, all fueled by great defense.
upsetof86
oskirules said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Here we go, Bears!

That hit was a real wow hit. But several others ( not as dramatic) as well. JK perfect gap fill, stopped Canada cold, huge hit, but damn couldn't wrap him up. Talk about being in the right spot and taking on the contact. And Weaver filling space in front of him to the ball like a demon, not over running or late, big time stuff.
sycasey
upsetof86 said:

oskirules said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Here we go, Bears!

That hit was a real wow hit. But several others ( not as dramatic) as well. JK perfect gap fill, stopped Canada cold, huge hit, but damn couldn't wrap him up. Talk about being in the right spot and taking on the contact. And Weaver filling space in front of him to the ball like a demon, not over running or late, big time stuff.

The defense is well-coached. Something we aren't used to after Dykes.
PtownBear1
Very nice victory considering it was on the road in hostile territory against 25 year old men. However, Sept 29th is when we'll really learn HOW good the defense is. We thought we were doing well last year until getting steamrolled by Oregon.
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Here we go, Bears!
Awesome hit! I also like the way the refs seem to be be sort of on our side so far. You KNOW, in some recent years, Davis would've been called for targeting on that hit. It wasn't targeting, you say? Wouldn't have mattered. I almost wonder if the refs subconsciously favor Wilcox' sideline demeanor, compared to that of his predecessor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.