Evan Weaver

5,588 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 59bear
FuzzyWuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last year I criticized Weaver for lacking linebacker instincts, overrunning plays, getting blocked. When I saw the depth chart this fall I thought Gerran Brown should be moved from Mike to Will in Evan's spot. Boy is he proving me wrong. Maybe he just needed a year at the position. He seems to be everywhere this year and his confidence is growing. 10 tackles in the first half today - don't know what he had for the game but he was balling.

Oh and if he's really 6-3 he's gotta be more like 250 than the listed 235.
75bear
Today Weaver had one of the best individual defensive performances I've seen by a Cal Bear in many, many years.
AXLBear
He appears to have a nose for the ball that just can't be coached
heartofthebear
The coaching and talent at OLB is making the difference for us this year.
59bear
AXLBear said:

I agree his instincts are a big plus. And he has a motor. I remember seeing him dominate in the state championship game his senior year of HS and thinking he could be a pretty decent t college baller. So far, I'd say he is, hands down, our most improved player over last season.
LACalFan
Fuzzy, you are not alone. I also didn't think Weaver was mobile enough. He's a beast. Happy to be so wrong
TomBear
Weaver is gaining confidence, pure and simple. He is a pursuer, and doesn't quit on a play. I think he's going to have a spectacular year, and I think he'll help elevate the play of those around him. Imagine how good our defense could be after another game or two if Good returns! (BTW, the entire defense performed well in Goode's absence, and the "next man up" philosophy is working out very nicely.

I'm still concerned with a few DBs not "tackling" but trying to get "hits". But it didn't seem as bad as it appeared to be to me last week, and isn't it great to see players knocking down and intercepting passes again? There's an aggressive aura on this defense that is really enthusing me.
Big C
LACalFan said:

Fuzzy, you are not alone. I also didn't think Weaver was mobile enough. He's a beast. Happy to be so wrong
Agree. I LOVED his high school highlights, but I was worried he might be a tweener (LB, or DL?) in college. But he is really coming into his own right now.

Our starting ILBs make up one of the better pairs around!
LACalFan
Big C said:

LACalFan said:

Agree. I LOVED his high school highlights, but I was worried he might be a tweener (LB, or DL?) in college. But he is really coming into his own right now.

Our starting ILBs make up one of the better pairs around!
Looking like LB and DB coaching is a real strength on our staff
NYCGOBEARS
Evan went straight Beast Mode.
SmellinRoses
Guy has been fantastic. Go Bears.
bear2034
Loved the way he played last night.
LegoBear
Ok but he need to learn how to catch!
IssyBear
The thing I remembered about that Washington State Championship Game is that Weaver, who was All-State as a defensive lineman, also started at Tailback and carried the ball a ton. He has got speed and it showed up several times yesterday.
burritos
Is he a senior or junior?
philbert
burritos said:

jr
ddc_Cal
Not successive plays, but in the same series, I think, Weaver made a tackle at the sideline.

Some plays later, he made a tackle on the _other_ sideline! He kind of defines sideline-to-sideline LB.

What really amazed me, though, was his energy level. Maybe there were plays where he was not in the game, but I didn't notice any. And I have no complaints whatsoever about his not getting the INT those three knockdowns. Awesome.
IssyBear
One cool comment Weaver made in his post game interview was to encourage fans to come to the games. He said "we're ready to play and we want you guys there". I don't remember a recent Cal player ever saying that.
iksO facto
Defense starting to provide Cal fans with the pride that was felt in the Bear Minimum defense of Ray Wilsey.
Weaver has a mentality similar to Butkus!
Chapman_is_Gone
philbert said:

burritos said:

jr
But he is a few credits from finishing his degree, and unfortunately he will likely transfer for grad school to Stanfurd or USC

(j/k)
KoreAmBear
Too bad another WA guy Saffle had to retire. They would been quite a tandem.
FuzzyWuzzy
KoreAmBear said:

Too bad another WA guy Saffle had to retire. They would been quite a tandem.
Almost forgot about him. With Brown's retirement we are thin at LB. No wonder six backers have committed to this recruiting class.
socalBear23
AXLBear said:

Considering he did not have said "nose" last year, it appears it can indeed be coached!
OzarkBear
socalBear23 said:

AXLBear said:

Considering he did not have said "nose" last year, it appears it can indeed be coached!
At the time of the move of Weaver there were concerns of his ability to drop into coverage with the position change but with 3 PBU's in the BYU game (a couple were almost interceptions), it appears he is learning his trade from Coach Sirmon quite well!!!
Rushinbear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

philbert said:

burritos said:

jr
But he is a few credits from finishing his degree, and unfortunately he will likely transfer for grad school to Stanfurd or USC

(j/k)
No, no, not the "t" word. If he grads early, there must be a terminal masters that he can get into. I've heard pub health and I guess Haas is too competitive, but how about Pub Admin (my degree)? And, are there no others? MSW? MFA?
59bear
socalBear23 said:

AXLBear said:

Playing inside rather than outside may have him in a better position to read/react. Or perhaps it's just a year more experience and confidence.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.