We went 3-0 last year

3,074 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheSouseFamily
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Oregon game is pivitol.
Go Bears!
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
socaltownie
Hmmm.....I actually think the two AFTER that are pivotal (because we should be favored in both). We still have a ways to go to compete for the top of the North. The positive step this year is to get to 6-7 regular season wins and then win our bowl. Continue to recruit both sides of the ball....and get faster on the edges.
chalcidbear
I'm with socaltownie: the stretch AFTER Oregon (@Arizona, UCLA and @OSU) are, IMO, winnable games, and if we do win out in those three, we are in a bowl folks.
510 Bear
Look at all of you, overlooking Idaho State.
cubzwin
Oregon's QB Justin Hebert has looked like a beast. He could drop 50+ on Cal but 3 things work in our favor. Cal and Oregon both play cupcakes next week but then Oregon plays Stanford and Cal gets a bye. If Stanford puts a little hurt on Hebert that could set Cal up nicely because his backups are all inexperienced and unskilled. Cal gets the Ducks at home. So add up home field advantage plus coming off a bye versus coming off rough physical game against Stanford. Finally, McGarbers should get addtional experience against Idaho without having to reveal too much of the playbook. What I'm saying is that Cal will be in the best possible position to score a big upset over the Ducks.
kingpindonuts
7-0 start and a top 10 UW coming to play a top 5 Cal team in Oct.
Cal89
It's relevant, so copy/paste from another thread:

We are about to start 3-0 again, like JW's first season. I really like the set-up from here... BYE week afterwards, so two weeks to prepare for our Pac-12 opener - the Ducks, in Berkeley. That will be their first road game, and will have played Stanford the week before, while the whole Cal team watches that game. Goode and other players continue to mend... The Oregon game is huge. They look to be quite good. I envision CMS being electric.

A win over the Ducks gets us to Arizona, then UCLA at home, then the Beavs in Corvallis...

6-1 to 7-0 remains achievable. I believe.
Sig test...
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
kingpindonuts said:

Big C
If we get to seven wins, I'll be happy, wherever they occur. If we get to eight, or reclaim the Axe, I'll be very, very happy. If we get to 8 AND reclaim the Axe, my neighbors (and maybe the local police) will flag me for "unnecessary" celebration.
heartofthebear
Games we can win are pivotal.
I would pick 4 more winnable games than Oregon
FloriDreaming
socaltownie said:

Hmmm.....I actually think the two AFTER that are pivotal (because we should be favored in both). We still have a ways to go to compete for the top of the North. The positive step this year is to get to 6-7 regular season wins and then win our bowl. Continue to recruit both sides of the ball....and get faster on the edges.

Cal has an excellent chance at 6 wins. UofA, OSU and UCLA all look very winnable. Anything above that is going to be very unlikely. 6 wins, a bowl win and improvement on O and D is reasonable expectation. 8+ wins, really not reasonable. So I'd agree with your assessment.

Cal is improved on D, but still has weaknesses that better teams can and probably will exploit. Cal seems to have regressed on O, if that is possible, but if Garbers and McIlwain get experience there is hope for the future. Baldwin is a bust, but UofA did well with their "Desert Swarm" for a couple years, and that teams offense was almost as bad as Cal's, so it may be possible to be moderately successful in the long term with a poor offense. But it'll be limited success.

But six wins this year, very doable.
Cal88
Way too early to call Baldwin a bust. It's not that easy to get consistent production with an inexperienced QB corp.
bear2034
510 Bear said:

Look at all of you, overlooking Idaho State.
Never underestimate a team that plays its football indoors.

calbear80
kingpindonuts said:

Please share whatever you are smoking. It must be really good stuff!

Go Bears!
Cal Strong!
UNC got blown out by Eastern Carolina. ECU ran all over UNC. UNC WEAK!!!! Cal Strong no like how much trouble we had with WEAK UNC defense.
TheSouseFamily
Cal Strong! said:

UNC got blown out by Eastern Carolina. ECU ran all over UNC. UNC WEAK!!!! Cal Strong no like how much trouble we had with WEAK UNC defense.

UNC is in deep do-do and Fedora is a dead man walking. They could easily go 1-11 this year. In fact, if you look at the remaining match-up win proabilites, the only game they have higher than a 37% chance of winning is a home game against Western Carolina.

Speaking of the computer generated win probabilities, UCLA also has only one game remaining that they have a >50% chance of winning: home against Arizona and that's only 60%. FWIW, the computers have us going 8-4.

It's wise to take these win probabiiites with a grain of salt, especially this early on, but they do underscore the uphill battles that teams like UNC and UCLA have ahead.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.