I like Coach Wilcox...

3,521 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Blueblood
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?

"Don't you find it strange, doctor,
that the Cal quarterback's saliva
is made up of the DNA of three people?"

Unlike, Tedford of old, Wilcox has the wherewithal to try a radical experiment like Doctor Frankenstein!
grumpybear
Let's hope the townspeople don't burn down the laboratory, before we can get the results?
bearister
I like his look. He looks like a disciplined person.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Sebastabear
One of the reasons I'm excited we won this game is that had we lost I was pretty sure BYU's current connection to Mormonism and former connection to the Mountsin West conference would have driven BlueBlood insane.
SoFlaBear
First year coaches everywhere are doing things with the players they inherited from the predecessor and JC & grad transfers. Then, to make things more interesting, players loyal to the last coach, or not-in-love with the new coach, leave. Second year still has a bunch of players new coach recruited sitting out their transfer year or red shirting.

Tedford was something of an anomaly - he got results very quickly. Compare Wilcox to Bruce Snyder; it really took Snyder four seasons to right the ship. Granted, he had more years of damage to undo.

The defense is light years better than it was under Dykes, and still has room to improve. The offense looks decent, but is still a work in progress, and I'm wondering what happens when it comes up against a top 25 defense. I'm not a fan of the two-headed monster QB strategy, but it seems to be working so far.

I don't think we've seen the last of Bowers.
Big C
The refs have treated us well, so far this season. I'm wondering if maybe they react more favorably to Wilcox' professional, respectful demeanor, compared to that of his predecessor.
calbear80
I am a simple man.

As far as Coach Wilcox is concerned, I look at his win-loss record. Last year's 5-7 (2-7 Pac-12) record left some to be desired (although beating two P-5 non-conference opponents was very nice).

If this year Coach Wilcox goes:
. 9-3, I LOVE him.
. 8-4, I love him.
. 7-5, I like him.
. 6-6, I am undecided.
. 5-7, I don't like him.
. 4-8, Wilcox becomes "the guy Mike Williams hired as the Football coach".

No matter what, this year, Coach Wilcox did beat BYU in Provo, which is something Cal had not done before (although we have played BYU relatively few times).

Go Bears!
ClassOf98WasGreat
When used in the right situation, I think the two QB strategy can work. It's tough on the primary starter when he is pulled in a 2nd down situation only to come back in and have a 3rd and 5+ to deal with. But, if the running QB comes in on 2nd or 3rd and picks up the first down, the primary starter can easily rejoin the flow of the game.

When it looked like we were going to employ a three QB strategy in week 1, that seemed like a recipe for disaster. While I feel bad for Bowers, I am glad that Wilcox has settled on one lead horse and a complementary second horse for the time being.
chazzed
Sebastabear said:

One of the reasons I'm excited we won this game is that had we lost I was pretty sure BYU's current connection to Mormonism and former connection to the Mountsin West conference would have driven BlueBlood insane.

Yeah, we wouldn't want any insanity in his posts.
FloriDreaming
calbear80 said:

I am a simple man.

As far as Coach Wilcox is concerned, I look at his win-loss record. Last year's 5-7 (2-7 Pac-12) record left some to be desired (although beating two P-5 non-conference opponents was very nice).

If this year Coach Wilcox goes:
. 9-3, I LOVE him.
. 8-4, I love him.
. 7-5, I like him.
. 6-6, I am undecided.
. 5-7, I don't like him.
. 4-8, Wilcox becomes "the guy Mike Williams hired as the Football coach".

No matter what, this year, Coach Wilcox did beat BYU in Provo, which is something Cal had not done before (although we have played BYU relatively few times).

Go Bears!
LOL. That's how I assess a coach too. Simple math of wins and losses, that's it.
Blueblood
chazzed said:

Sebastabear said:

Yeah, we wouldn't want any insanity in his posts.

"I think you need more gas,
chazzed."

I, or should I say we, all understand that chazzed gets a little mean right
after he gets his daily shock treatment.
KenBurnski
Totally surprising that Bluebawls is an expert at reviving passed out men.
Blueblood
KenBurnski said:

Totally surprising that Bluebawls is an expert at reviving passed out men.

"I can tell KenButtinski has
never been high, poor sap!"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.