Malik McMorris, underutilized since 2017

4,142 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RighteousGoldenBear
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice win. But is the plan really to have McMorris line up as WR?
Our running game isn't working outside of the QB run, maybe it's time to use McMorris in the backfield as a second run option or as lead blocker for Laird.

packawana
We did it all of last year so it's not like we don't know how. Must be some other reason why we haven't used him too heavily.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Malik must've stepped (accidentally) on Beau's pivot foot when they first met. Or gotten caught stealing Baldie's fries at the training table. No other explanations suffice.

bear2034
Or maybe Beau likes spreading the defense out using multiple receivers to allow for QB runs up the middle, Malik would just get in the way?
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
It has to be something Personal... Visceral... Intestinal.

Or Beauie might be saving his big guns and jaw-dropping plays for conference game 1.
Another Bear
Agree with you guys...time to bust out McMorris and let him play. He's not an every down back (but who is?) but he should be getting way more playing time. He's a good player, disciplined and almost always takes care of his assignment. He's a senior and the team loves him, let him play.
Big C
I'd love to see him get another 20-30 carries and another 20 receptions this year, but maybe the coaches know what they're doing. Still, pounding him in there 10 straight times this coming Saturday would be cool, just to see what would happen!
rafterfan180
Agree! Definitely saving him for Oregon.
calumnus
Big C said:

I'd love to see him get another 20-30 carries and another 20 receptions this year, but maybe the coaches know what they're doing. Still, pounding him in there 10 straight times this coming Saturday would be cool, just to see what would happen!

I don't need to see him carry the ball, but regularly delivering the key block for Laird (who follows his blocks very well) slowing him to get to the next level, would be ideal.

I also like him as a safety valve receiver. After acting like he is run blocking (so LBs avoid him) drift up field for a wide open reception.
Fyght4Cal
It's in the zeitgeist.

Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Ncsf
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

It has to be something Personal... Visceral... Intestinal.

Or Beauie might be saving his big guns and jaw-dropping plays for conference game 1.
He's 295 pounds! Do you want him to run reverses? Honestly, do any of you have a brain? He's a lead blocker who we will feed when we know the middle is soft or nobody is covering him in the flat. I qualify my reply by saying he's my favorite player by far along with McIlwain. That said, as Clint Eastwood said, a man's got to know his limitations.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Ncsf said:

He's 295 pounds! Do you want him to run reverses? Honestly, do any of you have a brain? He's a lead blocker who we will feed when we know the middle is soft or nobody is covering him in the flat. I qualify my reply by saying he's my favorite player by far along with McIlwain. That said, as Clint Eastwood said, a man's got to know his limitations.

O, how quickly these nits forget! MM's down to 280-285 lbs of well-hewn bulk, yet with the graceful feet of a gazelle, dependable hands of mother time, and stalwart voice of the archangel.
socaltownie
+1. Someone with more time than me should go back over the tape and track MM vs. non-MM running plays.

It could be that he isn't very good at pass blocking - which allows the defense to key off him. But mostly what I know is that when he is in it seems 9 out of 10 times he makes a key block that frees up the runner for what the runner needed to get (TD, first down, nice start to a series, etc.)
MilleniaBear
Speaking of missing blocks....Laird missed one and whoever had the ball got blown up. Looked like he expected the ball carrier to go another direction.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

I don't need to see him carry the ball, but regularly delivering the key block for Laird (who follows his blocks very well) slowing him to get to the next level, would be ideal.

I also like him as a safety valve receiver. After acting like he is run blocking (so LBs avoid him) drift up field for a wide open reception.
I "need" to see him carry the ball, from the tailback position in an I formation, just to see what happens when defenders try to tackle a 5-11, 290 RB who's built up a head of steam. It's one of those things on my football bucket list.

I just need to see that... Maybe we can try it this Saturday a few times, just for me, and then continue on with the season.
Fyght4Cal
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

I "need" to see him carry the ball, from the tailback position in an I formation, just to see what happens when defenders try to tackle a 5-11, 290 RB who's built up a head of steam. It's one of those things on my football bucket list.

I just need to see that... Maybe we can try it this Saturday a few times, just for me, and then continue on with the season.
Exactly what I was talking about above. I'm all about Malik in that I-formation.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
bear2034
Fyght4Cal said:

It's in the zeitgeist.

Yes, we need more Malik and we need him now or at least until the Oregon game. I think our receivers will have a difficult time getting open against Oregon's back 7, too much speed. We desperately need the run game to work and Malik to blow open some holes and assist Laird.

Right now he's just wasting energy running back and forth from the field to the sidelines.

Big C
Fyght4Cal said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

Exactly what I was talking about above. I'm all about Malik in that I-formation.
When I was a little kid, they used to have ABC's Wide World of Sports on Saturday afternoon (and there were only four channels back then). One day they had this thing called a "demolition derby" and, sure enough, I was glued to the set for the next half hour. Okay, I wouldn't want to watch one of those things every day, but now and then, especially that first time or two...

That's why I want to see MM carry the ball a few times.
JimSox
socaltownie said:

+1. Someone with more time than me should go back over the tape and track MM vs. non-MM running plays.

It could be that he isn't very good at pass blocking - which allows the defense to key off him. But mostly what I know is that when he is in it seems 9 out of 10 times he makes a key block that frees up the runner for what the runner needed to get (TD, first down, nice start to a series, etc.)
Forgot exactly what play it was, but he did get at least one very key block Saturday. Lined up in the right slot, pulled and got a perfect trap block near left tackle that freed the runner for a nine or 10 yard gain. Love the guy.
JimSox
And he made the key block on the McIlwain 2-yard TD run early in the fourth quarter.
RighteousGoldenBear
Just imagine Malik with ball in hand. Probably would look something like this.....

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.