Clark Fumble

3,314 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
JimSox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just watching the game again & seems to me that the tackler who hit Clark as he was coming out of his spin struck Clark's helmet with the side of his helmet. Hard. Not the crown of the helmet, but the side. Did I see it correctly, and if so, is that legal? Also the guy who scooped up the ball and scored, immediately struck a pose. Ha ha!
BearGoggles
JimSox said:

Just watching the game again & seems to me that the tackler who hit Clark as he was coming out of his spin struck Clark's helmet with the side of his helmet. Hard. Not the crown of the helmet, but the side. Did I see it correctly, and if so, is that legal? Also the guy who scooped up the ball and scored, immediately struck a pose. Ha ha!

Honestly, on a play where the ball carrier is spinning blindly, I don't know how you can flag the defender. The defender had no idea where the ball carrier would be. Throwing a flag in that situation is just unfair unless the tackler is spearing with his helmet.

And while I haven't rewatched it, I did replay it at the time and thought it was actually a pretty good tackle (but I could be wrong)
JimSox
BearGoggles said:

JimSox said:

Honestly, on a play where the ball carrier is spinning blindly, I don't know how you can flag the defender. The defender had no idea where the ball carrier would be. Throwing a flag in that situation is just unfair unless the tackler is spearing with his helmet.

And while I haven't rewatched it, I did replay it at the time and thought it was actually a pretty good tackle (but I could be wrong)
It definitely was not spearing, but is it legal to strike a ball carrier on the helmet with the side of you helmet, even if you "had no idea where the ball carrier would be?" I'm not arguing that there should have been a penalty. I just would like to know one way or the other whether that's legal. The rules on helmet hits have been changing so much in recent years. Also, I was glad to see Bowers consoling Clark on the bench after the play.
sonofabear51
Yeah, saw Bowers over there with him also.
Start Slowly and taper off
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
2nd clip here: http://www.espn.com/college-football/video?gameId=401012735

Looks like the defender at 0:39 does know where the carrier would be because he adjusts to the move, then at 0:40 lowers the helmet which connects with the left side of the jaw area and upper chest, but you be the judge.
OdontoBear66
Hopefully Clark has learned big from the spin move fumble. If it works, as it does in HS, it's great, but when you spin you put body & ball in jeopardy
Rushinbear
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

Looks like the defender at 0:39 does know where the carrier would be because he adjusts to the move, then at 0:40 lowers the helmet which connects with the left side of the jaw area and upper chest, but you be the judge.
Year after year, kids are taught the proper posture in making a tackle. Do it this way so you don't hurt your neck/back and make good contact with the runner. Then, if the runner makes an instantaneous move that happens to put you out of position slightly, you're expected to compensate in a microsecond. Unless the tackle is launching/spearing, that's football. You can get hurt.
rafterfan180
Agree. Ashtyn Davis' tackle of the BYU runner in the 3rd(?) was way more of a spearing tackle. Surprised and glad the refs missed that.
Calcoholic
Rushinbear said:

Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

Year after year, kids are taught the proper posture in making a tackle. Do it this way so you don't hurt your neck/back and make good contact with the runner. Then, if the runner makes an instantaneous move that happens to put you out of position slightly, you're expected to compensate in a microsecond. Unless the tackle is launching/spearing, that's football. You can get hurt.
Hopefully Clark will learn that there's a time and place for a spin move. You do it when the guy you're trying to evade is the only one around, not when there's two other guys right behind him.
JimSox
rafterfan180 said:

Agree. Ashtyn Davis' tackle of the BYU runner in the 3rd(?) was way more of a spearing tackle. Surprised and glad the refs missed that.
It was unclear from the angle on the replay whether it was spearing, but from the was the ball carrier's head snapped to the side it certainly looked like it might have been.
GivemTheAxe
JimSox said:

rafterfan180 said:

It was unclear from the angle on the replay whether it was spearing, but from the was the ball carrier's head snapped to the side it certainly looked like it might have been.

No way was it spearing. Looks like AD hit the ball carrier chest high and from the front (not directly in front) Admittedly AD was flying to the tackle and came with a lot of force. The ball carrier's head whipped back because of the force of the hit. But there was no illegal hit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.