California Indian song

2,542 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 2ndTrumpetBear
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mam I havent heard this in a while. one of my favorites!

Go Bears!
kirklandblue
When football season starts, this song runs through my head continuously, I think because it was a standard part of pre-game and played often during games in the 70's; I know it became politically sensitive, but thought new lyrics had been written? Would also love to hear it return.
ColoradoBear
I was too offended to listen to the whole thing....

they pronounced Stanfurd incorrectly and it bothers me.
6164bear
It's still played regularly. There are new words.

Gold and Blue (formerly California Indian Song)
Music by Harold W. Bingham ('06) 1907, Lyrics by Kiran Permaul ('14) 2012, Arranged by Robert O. Briggs.

We're going to beat you Stanford,
We're going to beat you Blue!
We're going to use that battle-axe we took from you.
Down on the Farm we'll end them,
Fighting with spirit true;
We're going to show them winners wear Gold and Blue.
Hey! (Repeat)

RayofLight
You are also probably more familiar with it in the 1970s because the band played more in the 70s because there were less advertisements. It is also important to realize that in 1972 the Cal Band dropped the verse entirely, only performing the chorus.

Coupled with that, recent band iterations have fallen into the trap of playing the "Big 3" of Big C, Sons of California, and Fight for California frequently, and neglecting the rest of their traditional Cal music more often than not in favor of rock songs. This is in part to blame because of those ever more limited playing times during games. Both Stanford Jonah and Gold and Blue (formerly Indian Song) tend to get relegated to Big Game Week because of this, when their central focus upon the Cardinal is considered appropriate. Never mind that Big C and Sons of California both reference Stanford as well, they are seemingly exempt from this. This year is slightly different because Jonah is the 3rd song of pregame this year, so it will be more likely to be heard.

It will surely change over time as the students change. We will see what happens.
Spreading light and goodness,
Over all the West.
TomBear
Oski, that's a really nice and clean recording, but I don't find that on my CDs. The picture you provided suggests it should be on FSRCD-1257 "The Spirit of Cal", but it's in a different key and slightly different (and better) tempo than the one I have.

Can you ID the CD that's from? I'd like to recheck and see if I have it, and if not, I'd like to order it if it's available somewhere.
oskidunker
Found it by doing a search on the internet
Go Bears!
Big C
RayofLight said:

You are also probably more familiar with it in the 1970s because the band played more in the 70s because there were less advertisements. It is also important to realize that in 1972 the Cal Band dropped the verse entirely, only performing the chorus.

Coupled with that, recent band iterations have fallen into the trap of playing the "Big 3" of Big C, Sons of California, and Fight for California frequently, and neglecting the rest of their traditional Cal music more often than not in favor of rock songs. This is in part to blame because of those ever more limited playing times during games. Both Stanford Jonah and Gold and Blue (formerly Indian Song) tend to get relegated to Big Game Week because of this, when their central focus upon the Cardinal is considered appropriate. Never mind that Big C and Sons of California both reference Stanford as well, they are seemingly exempt from this. This year is slightly different because Jonah is the 3rd song of pregame this year, so it will be more likely to be heard.

It will surely change over time as the students change. We will see what happens.
Golden Bear
Roll On
California Marching Song
California, We're for You
The One Formerly Played at Bowles Hall (forget name)

I know I'm leaving a few out...
6164bear
It can all be found at http://calband.berkeley.edu/media/cal-songs/
2ndTrumpetBear
Here's an even older version from the 1941 recording "Songs of California".

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.