How good is Beau Baldwin?

7,611 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tequila4kapp
CalBear04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be the first to admit that I was enamored with him based on interviews and history last year.

He's exciting and smart and says all the things I'd want to hear from a leader.

Compare that to Wilcox, who I'd trust and follow but probably wouldn't feel inspired by... (based on interviews)

Now, it's been a year and so far we are still STRUGGLING on offense. Meanwhile the defense has gone from worst to pretty solid.

Theoretically he should have way more to work with at Cal than EWU. The QB changes are somewhat a relief. He's brought in a fair amount of players now and had time to teach and develop.

Do we turn the corner from here with Garbers/Brandon at the helm?

Does he need one more year to get the QB he really wants? Will he stay that long?
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
We shall see Sept. 29.

Btw hoping UO manages an emotional (and physically costly) upset over Brock Turner Junior-Univ the week before so there's some Letdown Game effect when they face the Bears.
CalBear04 said:

Will he stay that long?

Gone. JW better be getting presently in the ear of the next one & assts.
Yogi58
CalBear04 said:

I'll be the first to admit that I was enamored with him based on interviews and history last year.

Compare that to Wilcox, who I'd trust and follow but probably wouldn't feel inspired by... (based on interviews)

Now, it's been a year and so far we are still STRUGGLING on offense. Meanwhile the defense has gone from worst to pretty solid.

Theoretically he should have way more to work with at Cal than EWU. The QB changes are somewhat a relief. He's brought in a fair amount of players now and had time to teach and develop.

Does he need one more year to get the QB he really wants? Will he stay that long?
Our offense is kinda in a similar place to 2002. No athletically dominant skill position players, but the 2002 team had more to work with on the offensive line and the starting TE position was better as well. Boller was the closest thing we had to an athletic specimen for his position. Tedford was however able to scheme that team.into the second highest scoring team in the conference that year (no doubt significantly helped by the result of Game 1. He can still kiss my ass though).

Baldwin needs to do better than he has to this point.
KoreAmBear
Yogi Bear said:

CalBear04 said:

Our offense is kinda in a similar place to 2002. No athletically dominant skill position players, but the 2002 team had more to work with on the offensive line and the starting TE position was better as well. Boller was the closest thing we had to an athletic specimen for his position. Tedford was however able to scheme that team.into the second highest scoring team in the conference that year (no doubt significantly helped by the result of Game 1. He can still kiss my ass though).

Baldwin needs to do better than he has to this point.

Boller had LaShaun Ward who switched positions in 2002 and was finally utilized. We would have had a similar explosive athlete in D-Rob had he stayed.
MiZery
Has anyone seen how Spavital is doing at West Virginia? Wish we still had him.
BearChemist
MiZery said:

Has anyone seen how Spavital is doing at West Virginia? Wish we still had him.
Beware: Triggered BI posters incoming!!
socaliganbear
He won a National Championship before Vernon Adams and Cooper Kupp, so I have to imagine he has it in him. Bowers was clearly not the guy he wanted running his offense. We'll see if he can make something out of a Garbers' offense. Mind you, all I'm expecting is a competent offense. Nothing earth shattering.

But if we can't even get to middle of the Pac... then there's a problem.
MilleniaBear
Interesting comparing Tedford (HC) to Baldwin (OC). Does anybody know if JW is throttling BB some how? Maybe BB isnt allowed to take risks n his playbook is limited.
Looperbear
I love JT, but he benefited from weaker coaches when he first came into the conference. Eg, Willingham, Buddy Teevens, Harris. JT's a really good coach, most of the others weren't but then the league upgraded.
Dykes looked a lot better in the WAC than he did here, but he and his crappy staff got exposed in teh pac12.
I think we may be seeing that to some (hopefully a lesser) extent with Baldwin. He's facing way better DCs and talent than he did at EWU.
FloriDreaming
Baldwin at EWU was a big fish in a small pond. So far he hasn't impressed at the next level.

In the end, Cal's offense, along with everything else, falls at the feet of Wilcox. He hired Baldwin, he's stuck with him, and he seems frustratingly okay with the very very very poor quality of this offense.

One thing I really like about Leach is that if aspects of the team aren't doing well, he'll say so. He doesn't make excuses or try to sunshine pump. His first couple years he would call the team out, and he went to work to improve things.

I never heard Dykes really speak up about the terrible defenses under his coaching, it always felt like he was kind of okay with lousy defense, or just couldn't be bothered. I sense a similar attitude from Wilcox vis a vis offense. I wish he would come out and say the truth - this offense is soft, its doing a disservice to a defense that's really working its tail off, this is unacceptable and I'm not going to rest until we have a worthy offense. Just say something that says "yes, I understand this is not okay and I actually care," instead of "this pile of poop is really ice cream - yummy!"

For that matter, I wish the people reporting on Wilcox would speak the truth about this offense, hold the coaches' feet to the fire instead of being Pravda for Wilcox. That doesn't help anyone.

As for what Baldwin says in interviews - to hell with him. He's a proven liar when it comes to matching actions with words, so I don't care anymore what he has to say about anything. I have no respect for people like him who lack integrity.
OdontoBear66
Uthaithani said:

Baldwin at EWU was a big fish in a small pond. So far he hasn't impressed at the next level.

In the end, Cal's offense, along with everything else, falls at the feet of Wilcox. He hired Baldwin, he's stuck with him, and he seems frustratingly okay with the very very very poor quality of this offense.

One thing I really like about Leach is that if aspects of the team aren't doing well, he'll say so. He doesn't make excuses or try to sunshine pump. His first couple years he would call the team out, and he went to work to improve things.

I never heard Dykes really speak up about the terrible defenses under his coaching, it always felt like he was kind of okay with lousy defense, or just couldn't be bothered. I sense a similar attitude from Wilcox vis a vis offense. I wish he would come out and say the truth - this offense is soft, its doing a disservice to a defense that's really working its tail off, this is unacceptable and I'm not going to rest until we have a worthy offense. Just say something that says "yes, I understand this is not okay and I actually care," instead of "this pile of poop is really ice cream - yummy!"

For that matter, I wish the people reporting on Wilcox would speak the truth about this offense, hold the coaches' feet to the fire instead of being Pravda for Wilcox. That doesn't help anyone.

As for what Baldwin says in interviews - to hell with him. He's a proven liar when it comes to matching actions with words, so I don't care anymore what he has to say about anything. I have no respect for people like him who lack integrity.
Always such a breath of fresh air to read your repeated trashing of our young, building coaching staff (thick with sarcasm)
Another Bear
Seems to me Cal needs some skill position players on offense...like duh. Also seems like a typical catch-22 in rebuilding a program from all offense to a balanced approach. Wilcox is a defensive guy and has more or less fixed things but he is HC and he has a very experienced DC. That's where the power in the program lies right now. Also easier to fix defense because it's assignment and team play, with individuals plays shining once in awhile...but still team play.

Meanwhile Cal isn't so deep on offense, hence the QB shuffle. Modern offense neeeds a good QB to run the offense and win. Could also use some OL, a deep threat WR and a TE...and while Laird is good, he won't be around forever. Cal needs to catch up on offense talent wise (it take more talent on offense given QB speicalization) but Baldwin is a good coach...have to see if he and Wilcox can retruit offense talent. I assume that will become easier as the program improves, shows potential.

UrsaMajor
OdontoBear66 said:

Uthaithani said:

Always such a breath of fresh air to read your repeated trashing of our young, building coaching staff (thick with sarcasm)
Some people are only happy when they're miserable.
FuzzyWuzzy
Uthaithani said:

Wilcox won't throw his guys under the bus in public; he'll work with them and encourage them to be better. It's called leadership.
FuzzyWuzzy
Uthaithani said:

What are your grounds for these charges? I hope you can back this up. I also hope you understand that coaches are never completely candid in interviews as a matter of maintaining competitive advantage.
GivemTheAxe
Uthaithani said:

I don't see where Beau's statements don't match his actions. All Spring and Summer he said no players job is safe. They need to perform if they want to start. He has said in post game interviews that the Offense needs a lot of improvement if Cal is to compete in the PAC-12. And playing 3 QBs seems to be a very serious undertaking demonstrating that no player's job is safe and that he will do what is necessary to find the people who can perform. (What is obvious is that at Offense we are missing some quality players in key positions. Beau is doing the best he can.)
Cal Strong!
Baldwin's offenses at Cal definitely not strong so far. But is this function of weak playcalling and scheme, or weak players? Or both?

The latter largely about recruiting. But the last staff able to put up big numbers with these players. Yes, many good players leave already. But that also partially on new offensive staff.

At this point, offense needs to put up strong numbers are start landing lots of strong (4 and 5 star) recruits who can.

Baldwin seem to have strong integrity to Cal Strong. It isn't matter of integrity. It matter of whether Baldwin and players are strong enough. If not, we need to replace weak links in chain with strong links.
UrsaMajor
Agree that the ad hominem attacks on Baldwin are uncalled for. As for the "blame," I think it's complicated, and we can't really know yet what's going on.

You say the previous staff had a better offense with the same players, but remember many of their players are gone (qb among them).

Recruiting for skill positions hasn't been great, but even if it had, we would still be talking only about freshman for the most part.

As for who is to blame for the departures, that, too is hard to say. Players recruited for one system often leave when the system changes. Or, it could be that the current staff hasn't done enough to keep them. Or it could be that some of them weren't good fits to begin with (which would be on the prior staff). Or in some cases it has nothing to do with any of that (e.g., maybe D-Rob really did leave for family reasons).

We need to see how this offense develops over the course of the season before we can evaluate, IMO
oskidunker
You people hated Sonny now you want his offense back. Ridiculous.
Go Bears!
BGolden
Too soon to tell.

14 games played so far against 14 different defenses. Inherited players with a fluid QB situation & a substantially different offensive scheme.

Personally, I think he's doing a good job so far.
Goobear
Uthaithani said:

Frankly UT, he doesn't give a **** what you think. He owes you nothing. Are you his boss? He owes us fans a good team that wins. How he goes about it is his proragative. When he succeeds here at Cal you can eat your words. It will take more than one year to build a sustainable system. It is not instant gratification. You sound like a 4 year old who doesn't get her/his way and has a tampertrantum as a result.
NVBear78
Uthaithani said:

Why do you come to a message board for Cal fans? All you do is trash our hardworking players and coaches who are doing an excellent job.

Out of curiosity, do you buy tickets and go and see games in person? Have you seen a practice in person?

p.s. get off my lawn!
NYCGOBEARS
Uthanini got blocked. Congratulations, first poster ever to get that distinction from me! He literally posts zero information or opinion that I care to read.
brcal69
Amy...by another name?
Another Bear
NYCGOBEARS said:

Uthanini got blocked. Congratulations, first poster ever to get that distinction from me! He literally posts zero information or opinion that I care to read.

On that note...can you guys sparring with Amy NOT quote her...I have her on ignore also and don't wish tor read her dribble. But please proceed if you wish. Thx.
Big C
NYCGOBEARS said:

Just curious: Had you come CLOSE to blocking any other posters? If so, who?
NYCGOBEARS
Big C said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Just curious: Had you come CLOSE to blocking any other posters? If so, who?

Yes, but I'll keep that to myself.... Okay, Schlocky was one of them.
CalBear04
I don't buy the small fish in a big pond logic. He won a championship and beat up pac-12 competition. If App state or North Dakota state played D1, they'd probably finish close to the top 25 despite less scholarships/name

HS or JC to D1 is a much bigger jump.

His team proved they could succeed in the bigger pond.

Watching Berk18's film breakdown gives me some hope. They made a quick call on pulling Bowers, which I'm grateful for.

UNC was not respecting his passing at all and it hurt our numbers in the box.

Garbers and McIlwain change the numbers and give us a short yard advantage.

Those guys will both need to season for a while and Beau is making important adjustments. Plus we were prepared enough to do this so that is encouraging.

Meaning if Beau was forced to stay with Bowers because he put all his eggs in that basket, we'd be stuck with no options.
StillNoStanfurdium
Uthaithani said:

I disagree with this sentiment insofar as EWU had chances to play against legit D1 contenders and often looked very good playing them. Their offense showed up then. Moreso than it has at Cal so far.
LunchTime
CalBear04 said:

Theoretically he should have way more to work with at Cal than EWU.

What does that matter?

Relative quality matters against the teams he is playing. Was EWU's offensive tallent better than its opponents? Is Cal's?

I would guess, relative to the Pac12, he has less talent at Cal than he did at EWU relative to the BigSky. And to be fair, it is a LOT easier to have a game of your life one a season against a top tier opponent than to put out the same effort week in and week out, so his wins against FBS teams are notable, but not an indication that he had FBS talent.

I think the past two weeks have shown that he has an issue at QB. Bowers just isnt the QB we wanted, relative to the defenses he plays and coupled with his line and skill players. Maybe He stumbled on a better choice and will grow from there, but having a good offense with a non-productive key position is pretty difficult even for the best.

No one will argue that Dykes couldnt put up huge numbers. No one will argue that Chip couldnt put up huge numbers. One of them won ZERO division games with talent that didnt line up, and the other was down 13-37 to a Mid Major going into the 4th quarter. Sometimes you cant just hobble together a good offense the way you can with Defense. But it is ALWAYS more difficult to install an offensive system than a defensive system. Especially when you are coming off a gimmick offense, or into a gimmick offense.
LunchTime
oskidunker said:

You people hated Sonny now you want his offense back. Ridiculous.
I didnt hate his offenses. I would have hated his defenses, but they didnt exist.
LunchTime
Another Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

On that note...can you guys sparring with Amy NOT quote her...I have her on ignore also and don't wish tor read her dribble. But please proceed if you wish. Thx.
100% this.

All the quotes do is give that troll a wider audience.
85Bear
Another Bear said:

+1
socaliganbear
Another Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Second.
ColoradoBear
Uthaithani said:

One thing I like about wilcox is the curb stomping we gave leach last year.

Another is that generally having good D does not have a negative effect on the offense. Having a offense like Dykes most definitely hurts how he defense performs.

It is entirely possible that Baldwin is just a 'meh' hire since his competition was not that strong at EWU. We'll find out this year, won't we?

I feel like that given from where we are coming, some incremental gains in wins will lead to incremental recruiting gains. Nothing really huge expected overnight.

I'm pretty sure if Baldwin left, we could upgrade the OC with a supplement to the OC salary pool ( no more Mike Williams at AD).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.