How good is Beau Baldwin?

7,607 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tequila4kapp
GivemTheAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ColoradoBear said:

Uthaithani said:

One thing I really like about Leach is that if aspects of the team aren't doing well, he'll say so. He doesn't make excuses or try to sunshine pump. His first couple years he would call the team out, and he went to work to improve things.

I never heard Dykes really speak up about the terrible defenses under his coaching, it always felt like he was kind of okay with lousy defense, or just couldn't be bothered. I sense a similar attitude from Wilcox vis a vis offense. I wish he would come out and say the truth - this offense is soft, its doing a disservice to a defense that's really working its tail off, this is unacceptable and I'm not going to rest until we have a worthy offense. Just say something that says "yes, I understand this is not okay and I actually care," instead of "this pile of poop is really ice cream - yummy!"

For that matter, I wish the people reporting on Wilcox would speak the truth about this offense, hold the coaches' feet to the fire instead of being Pravda for Wilcox. That doesn't help anyone.
One thing I like about wilcox is the curb stomping we gave leach last year.

Another is that generally having good D does not have a negative effect on the offense. Having a offense like Dykes most definitely hurts how he defense performs.

It is entirely possible that Baldwin is just a 'meh' hire since his competition was not that strong at EWU. We'll find out this year, won't we?

I feel like that given from where we are coming, some incremental gains in wins will lead to incremental recruiting gains. Nothing really huge expected overnight.

I'm pretty sure if Baldwin left, we could upgrade the OC with a supplement to the OC salary pool ( no more Mike Williams at AD).

IMO Baldwin is a good coach based upon his results vs Power5 schools with inferior talent at EWU.
So far last year and this he has not had the type of layers that his system needs. (1) a mobile QB who can also pass consistently. And (2) a good Oline.
Beau seems to be getting good recruits who can help him solve problem #2.
Finding a good QB is more challenging. IMO the tag-team play of Garbers and Mac is part of a strategy to solve problem #1. (I believe he wants to eventually settle on one guy. But Beau must give each of them enough playing time so he can make a rational informed choice.)
This year won't tell the story on Beau. 2019 will since he should have more of the type of players he wants.
tequila4kapp
Baldwin inherited a squad with no QB, no difference makers at WR (following Robertson's injury), all the returning RBs left, there were literally no TEs on the roster and the OL was suspect. He is good but it's going to take some time to rebuild the talent.
82gradDLSdad
tequila4kapp said:

Baldwin inherited a squad with no QB, no difference makers at WR (following Robertson's injury), all the returning RBs left, there were literally no TEs on the roster and the OL was suspect. He is good but it's going to take some time to rebuild the talent.

When you put it this way...Baldwin is pretty good. I do agree, talent is lacking. Then again, I thought talent was lacking on defense and I've always heard you can't hide a lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball but you can on offense. So there's that. And that's where I stand.
march2397
Where do I stand? Squarely in the middle!

Pat Paulsen
BearChemist

EWU beating WSU might not be entirely brillant coaching, though.
Fyght4Cal
ColoradoBear said:

Uthaithani said:

One thing I really like about Leach is that if aspects of the team aren't doing well, he'll say so. He doesn't make excuses or try to sunshine pump. His first couple years he would call the team out, and he went to work to improve things.

I never heard Dykes really speak up about the terrible defenses under his coaching, it always felt like he was kind of okay with lousy defense, or just couldn't be bothered. I sense a similar attitude from Wilcox vis a vis offense. I wish he would come out and say the truth - this offense is soft, its doing a disservice to a defense that's really working its tail off, this is unacceptable and I'm not going to rest until we have a worthy offense. Just say something that says "yes, I understand this is not okay and I actually care," instead of "this pile of poop is really ice cream - yummy!"

For that matter, I wish the people reporting on Wilcox would speak the truth about this offense, hold the coaches' feet to the fire instead of being Pravda for Wilcox. That doesn't help anyone.
One thing I like about wilcox is the curb stomping we gave leach last year.

Another is that generally having good D does not have a negative effect on the offense. Having a offense like Dykes most definitely hurts how he defense performs.

It is entirely possible that Baldwin is just a 'meh' hire since his competition was not that strong at EWU. We'll find out this year, won't we?

I feel like that given from where we are coming, some incremental gains in wins will lead to incremental recruiting gains. Nothing really huge expected overnight.

I'm pretty sure if Baldwin left, we could upgrade the OC with a supplement to the OC salary pool ( no more Mike Williams at AD).
What's with the gratuitous shot at Mike Williams? He's an outstanding alum and former Cal student athlete. He dutifully stepped into the breach and cleaned up the mess in our AD. MW's love for our alma mater matches that of anyone on this board. He scores somewhere north of the 90th percentile of people who have done great things for Cal. The Mike Williams slander needs to stop.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
StillNoStanfurdium
BearChemist said:

EWU beating WSU might not be entirely brillant coaching, though.
So WSU scored 18 in the first half and had to deal with that error.
And EWU scored 24 benefiting from this error.

Okay, so how did the second half play out.

WSU - 14 points
EWU - 21 points

A whopping 3 points saved as a result of actual defensive schemes that make sense.
oskidunker
1. He hired Jones
2. He never responded to donor emails, even those donating alot.
3. He paid no attention to Major Donors wishes when hiring Jones
4. He never gave season ticket holders feed back on the many surveys they were asked to take.
5. No material changes were made in the game day experience wven though many complained.
6. Jerseys of honored badketball players were not hung in Haas. Instead weird displayes were put in the hall where no one could see them
7. The Ncaa plaque was not updated. ( New D is working on this)
8. Allowing badketball team to havea horrible, travel intensive pre season schedule including a trip to China

Go Bears!
Another Bear
Actually foreign travel for D1 hoops is considered very positive because it allows extra playing/practice time and bonding. It's valuable enough that the NCAA caps trips to every 2 years (or 18 months?).

The other stuff you mention...whatever. He's gone. He held down the fort and provided financial overview when it was greatly needed. Remember Cal, the whole school, was under financial duress from the '08 recession fallout. He wasn't the long term solution and everyone knew it, even him.
tequila4kapp
oskidunker said:

1. He hired Jones
2. He never responded to donor emails, even those donating alot.
3. He paid no attention to Major Donors wishes when hiring Jones
4. He never gave season ticket holders feed back on the many surveys they were asked to take.
5. No material changes were made in the game day experience wven though many complained.
6. Jerseys of honored badketball players were not hung in Haas. Instead weird displayes were put in the hall where no one could see them
7. The Ncaa plaque was not updated. ( New D is working on this)
8. Allowing badketball team to havea horrible, travel intensive pre season schedule including a trip to China

He made that gawdawful decision that mediocrity on the field combined with academic excellence was sufficient to get a contract extension. He then went public with it in the press. Stupid squared. Good riddance, Cal alum or no.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.