The problem is that area of the stands always looks bad

2,421 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Boot
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And the cameras can't help but dwell on that area of the stands. Rather than other areas. Because that's just the way it is.

It always makes me wince when watching on TV. (Yeah, I'm sorry. I can't attend. I'm now too far away.)

Maybe Cal should hire ringers to make that part of the stands look less worse.

XXXBEAR

You can't have it both ways-a walk over win and high attendance....

If Cal didn't have high school band day as well as a high school ticket promotion going on, it would have been a few thousand less than you saw on TV.

But beating Oregon in 2weeks would help...
BearSD
Also: Darren Rovell is a piece of crap whose only contribution to life on earth is trolling.

okaydo
BearSD said:

Also: Darren Rovell is a piece of crap whose only contribution to life on earth is trolling.

Rovell is indeed a piece of creep, but less so than years ago. But he still has a big platform.
a7051
I'm in that picture. There were not a ton of people there today, but it's pretty much expected with such an opponent. CMS should be rocking in two weeks with Oregon in town.
TheFiatLux
okaydo said:

And the cameras can't help but dwell on that area of the stands. Rather than other areas. Because that's just the way it is.

It always makes me wince when watching on TV. (Yeah, I'm sorry. I can't attend. I'm now too far away.)

Maybe Cal should hire ringers to make that part of the stands look less worse.

first off it wasn't a great crowd. but he really is a POS because if you look closely at the photo he uses you can see has has BLANKED OUT the scoreboard... that way you can't see the pic is kick off, which for almost every stadium is when the crowd looks the worst.

i'm going to be honest, it was tough to motivate to go to this game. this is a glorified exhibition game. if we're going to play these schedule sac state or uc davis or even cal poly.
oursdor
okaydo said:

the SW corner is probably on camera less than any other part of the stadium during a broadcast. you can't hide 35K+ empty seats no matter where you put the cameras. although it was pure idiocy to use gold chairs for the ESP sections.
TheFiatLux
oursdor said:

okaydo said:

the SW corner is probably on camera less than any other part of the stadium during a broadcast. you can't hide 35K+ empty seats no matter where you put the cameras. although it was pure idiocy to use gold chairs for the ESP sections.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I almost never see that section of the stadium on TV.

And we talked about the ESP gold seats again (again and again) today. Seems to me, it would be SOOOO worth the itsy bitsy small investment to just put a blue seat cover over every 2nd or 3rd one. It would make huge difference from an optics perspective.
KoreAmBear
XXXBEAR said:

But beating Oregon in 2weeks would help...
How about an undefeated Cal squad playing Oregon would help? College football season is so short, I hope we don't lose any opportunities for filling up the seats.
oursdor
Is it too much to ask our social media manager to select photos that don't HIGHLIGHT empty sections?

it's just so very Cal...

TheFiatLux
oursdor said:

Is it too much to ask our social media manager to select photos that don't HIGHLIGHT empty sections?

it's just so very Cal...

It really is. It's funny because the university mothership social media is generally outstanding. But Athletics and Football is just abysmal. Everything about it. Like you point out, they just don't get it. This mailing after the game yesterday is a great example. They think "hey aren't we clever with this intro, it sounds great!" yet they have no idea what the intro implies. Cal Athletics marketing, turning victories into losses forever.

okaydo
oursdor said:

it's just so very Cal...

Speaking of social media, the Cal Athletics Twitter feed changed its name to #EarnIt" a few months back, and I find it annoying.

Can't they just be "Cal Athletics"? Wouldn't it be better if "Cal Athetlics" showed up in other people's feeds instead of #EarnIt"?

Or am I being too nitpicky?

Strykur
okaydo said:

BearSD said:

Rovell is indeed a piece of creep, but less so than years ago. But he still has a big platform.
He isn't dumb, he is pointing out a legit fact that nobody is showing up to watch our games.
Boot
I sat there in 1964 with my parents when Craig Morton beat Navy and Roger the Dodger.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.