Last play ASU vs SDSU

3,470 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ColoradoBear
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
technically i guess this is the right call, and it's difficult to anticipate everything that can happen in the future.

but the NCAA should consider this play for a future rule change. In situations involving a targeting call, the penalty should be spot of the foul (NFL rule) or 15 yards, what ever is longer.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=401012738

ddc_Cal
+1
AEM80
I agree but still glad it happened. Loved seeing Arizona State get beat.
oursdor
I like that solution. That whole sequence was a mess. The tv crew had no idea what they were talking about and kept saying a ruling of incomplete would end the game because it would be a turnover on downs. made no sense.

The overturned completion was also suspect. Granted I was watching on a pretty mediocre stream but saw no conclusive evidence the ball hit the ground instead of just popping out of the crook of his arm. It *probably* did but that's not the standard. Replay decisions across football are pretty bad and don't seem to adhere to the rulebook language but last night was brutal. SC got robbed of a safety on review when the video was completely clear.
heartofthebear
AEM80 said:

ASU losing doesn't help the conference and, if anything, hurts Cal.
Plus, it gives the insufferable SDSU fans more fuel to claim they should be in the pac-12 conference.
LACalFan
heartofthebear said:

AEM80 said:

Plus, it gives the insufferable SDSU fans more fuel to claim they should be in the pac-12 conference.
But it does end ESPN's fellating of AZ St. They love Herm and have been giving them far too much pub
BearGoggles
Rule change should be that its a spot foul IF the targeting dislodged the ball. Lots of targeting plays happen after incompletion (i.e., receiver has no chance to catch the ball). Obviously, in the ASU play, the targeting clearly caused the incompletion.
heartofthebear
LACalFan said:

heartofthebear said:

AEM80 said:

But it does end ESPN's fellating of AZ St. They love Herm and have been giving them far too much pub
Well OK, but Herm Edwards could be the best pac-12 hire of the offseason and he deserves some fellating after being ridiculed nationwide all off-season.
HoopDreams
BearGoggles said:

Rule change should be that its a spot foul IF the targeting dislodged the ball. Lots of targeting plays happen after incompletion (i.e., receiver has no chance to catch the ball). Obviously, in the ASU play, the targeting clearly caused the incompletion.
I get your point, but hard to judge if a targeting causes the ball to be dropped or not.

But I think the main concern is the defender is trying to (illegally) hit the receiver to prevent the catch, and doing so is 'only' a 15 yard penalty (and better than a TD)

I've heard that logic applied to pass interference many times from many people.

I get that logic and it makes sense to 'intentionally' grab a player to prevent the catch in some situations.

However it should never be an advantage to the defense to target, and using the NFL regular pass interference rule would at least prevent the defense from being 'rewarded'
socaltownie
Essentially the college rules on both Targeting and Pass Interference encourage players to MUG the other guy. You should NEVER give up a hail mary in college (how many has Cal given up in the last decade ;-)
Chapman_is_Gone
heartofthebear said:

AEM80 said:

I couldn't care less how well the other Pac-12 teams play. Them doing well hasn't done us a bit of good the past 60 years...
philbert
In fairness, the refs should have overturned the SDSU fumble that gave ASU the ball at the end of the game. I thought the RB was clearly down on his butt when the ASU defender ripped the ball out of his hands.
heartofthebear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

heartofthebear said:

AEM80 said:

I couldn't care less how well the other Pac-12 teams play. Them doing well hasn't done us a bit of good the past 60 years...
Still doesn't mean I'd rather have SDSU win the game, SDSU doing well hasn't done us a bit of good either.
In fact our 2016 season was ruined in successive weeks by close loses to SDSU and ASU, either one of those would have put Cal in a bowl, had they won. Take your pick
ColoradoBear
heartofthebear said:

AEM80 said:

We recruit against and play against ASU. If they lose, I'm not shedding any tears about our poor conference. How well respected our conference is doesn't really matter until we get to 10-2 or 11-1 seasons and that determines which tier of bowl we would go to.

I don't mind UCLA losing either. Freaking great if you ask me. And if Furd got beat by Davis, I would be cheering not lamenting p12 performances.

Now USC and UW losing is bad if one wants a playoff birth which would get the p12 at least 2 teams in the NY bowls. But monitarily that's only an extra ~$350k of revenue per school.

Cal can do a lot better than that by stringing a few more wins together which should lead to better recruiting and more fans in the stands.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.