Goff vs. Peyton vs. Rodgers after 24 games

6 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by burritos
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was inspired to look this info up, so I thought I'd dump it here.

Goff has now started 24 regular season games*, which is a full season and a half. (I'm not counting the playoff game.)

(*7 his rookie year, 15 his 2nd year, 2 his 3rd year.)

So I'd thought I'd compare Goff's first 24 regular season games as a starter vs. Peyton Manning vs. Rodgers.

I don't know how useful this info is because, obviously, the game is more QB-friendly than ever nowadays.

So......

EDITED TO ADD:

I decided to add Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, and Derek Carr.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jared Goff's first 24 regular season games as starter:

13 wins, 11 losses

450 / 747 = 60.2% completion percentage

5480 yards

36 TDs, 15 interceptions

Carson Wentz's first 24 regular season games as starter:

14 wins, 10 losses

534 / 870 = 61.4 completion percentage

5716 yards

39 TDs, 18 interceptions

Dak Prescott's first 24 regular season games as starter:

18 wins, 6 losses

456 / 690 = 66.1% completion percentage

5173 yards

29 TDs, 13 interceptions

Peyton Manning's first 24 regular season games as starter:

9 wins, 15 losses

491/ 832 = 59% completion percentage

5592 yards

37 TDs, 34 interceptions

Derek Carr's first 24 regular season games as starter:

7 wins, 17 losses

524 / 899 = 58.3% completion percentage

5163 yards

34 TDs, 21 interceptions

Aaron Rodgers' first 24 regular season games as starter:

10 wins, 14 losses

527 / 817 = 64.5% completion percentage

6207 yards

42 TDs, 15 interceptions

okaydo
One thing to add:

After compiling that, I am shocked how close Goff is to Wentz after 24 games.

Of course, that's counting Goff's disastrous first season, in which he had terrible coaches.

Both Wentz and Prescott were lucky to have coaches with a lot of offensive experience from the get-go. Both of their head coaches backed up hall of fame QBs (Favre and Aikman).

Wentz's then-offensive coordinator also backed up a hall of fame QB (Kelly).

I compiled this a while back to illustrate how badly Goff had it his rookie season. (His rookie season offensive coordinator is currently the tight ends coach for the disastrous Buffalo Bills and his rookie season QB coach is currently running backs coach for the Tennessee Volunteers.)

Also:

heartofthebear
One thing notable is that Goff is the youngest and only Peyton was also under 23 years old when he started. Peyton has pretty poor numbers, relatively speaking

I had always known that age was a factor when folks were comparing Goff to Wentz and Prescott. It would be interesting to compare the stats on those QBs ages 23-25 in terms of QB rating and lose the won/loss record, which is misleading.

The other thing to note is how great Rodgers stats are when you take out the winning percentage.
ColoradoBear
Not to get all bill James baseball stat nerd on you, but I think that the raw stats are not all that informative when comparing across years. In addition to scheme changes, there have been major rule changes to protect receivers and quarterbacks in the past 10 and 20 years. Like QBs and WRs can take risks now that would have gotten them injured in the past.

A more appropriate comparison would be to compare across QBs of the same year to show how the young QBs stack up against the veteran stars and journeymen.
FuzzyWuzzy
ColoradoBear said:

Not to get all bill James baseball stat nerd on you, but I think that the raw stats are not all that informative when comparing across years. In addition to scheme changes, there have been major rule changes to protect receivers and quarterbacks in the past 10 and 20 years. Like QBs and WRs can take risks now that would have gotten them injured in the past.

A more appropriate comparison would be to compare across QBs of the same year to show how the young QBs stack up against the veteran stars and journeymen.
I disagree. Okaydo's stats are more informative than this would be.
Cal88
okaydo said:

Credit Tony Franklin with teaching Goff solid footwork fundamentals, JG was able to perform right from the start as a young rookie because he had good fundamentals to go with his talent.
okaydo
ColoradoBear said:

Again, I allowed that caveat in my original post.

I chose 24 because, well, Goff just completed 24. And 24 stretches across more than one season to account for one season wonders or disasters.

Like Pat Mahomas, for instanc,e is great now but he's not going to have 120 TDs in his first 24 starts.

(The advantage Goff's data has is that it stretches over three seasons, allowing for two offseasons. While every other person listed starts at game 1 of one season and ends at game 8 of the next season.)

B.A. Bearacus
burritos
If Goff were at Furd, they would have been national champions like 6 times.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.