OK, which one of you guys is Evan Weaver?

5,481 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FrankBear21
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From the Chronicle. This sure sounds like some of the chatter on BI. I can't remember a player being this frank before - as my granny used to say he's just saying where the hog ate the cabbage. I think the prior week he also called out the fans for not showing up (although that quote was more wistful). Really like this kid. Having a great season and has a great mindset.

Quote:

Inside linebacker Evan Weaver had 13 tackles, and inside linebacker Jordan Kunaszyk added nine, including 1.5 sacks. Defensive lineman Aaron Maldonado added 1.5 sacks, and safety Ashtyn Davis had his second interception of the season.

"When you get individual stats, sure, it's cool, but if we would have played better as a team, they wouldn't have had 23 points. That's where I'm at," Weaver said. " We've really got to pick up ourselves, because this was horrible in the first three games toward the end of the games. We can't close out a game. We can't finish it. For some reason, I don't know if our mind-set or what we're doing or we're not focusing, but we really need to crack down whatever it is and figure it out right now.

"Oregon is a good team, and they will come in here ready to play. If we don't do that, we're going to get run out of the building."
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
RighteousGoldenBear
We'll see Weaver playing on Sunday....no doubt!
Big C
Well, I can say without hesitation that I am NOT Evan Weaver. Put Weaver and me next to each other and NO ONE would confuse us, I am certain.

I am definitely an Evan Weaver fan, though.
nowa68
Breath of fresh air...exactly what I what to hear from a defensive player especially a LB...Accountable, he will most definitely be playing on Sundays!!!
calftball
New favorite Bear! This guy is solid solid..
I'm pumped after listing to him!!
LACalFan
hanky1
oski003
Shut up and dribble.
packawana
Coach Wilcox is really rubbing off on the players I see. Every time someone in the press conference had something good to ask about he would swat it down with dissatisfaction that it wasn't perfect.
hanky1
LACalFan said:

hanky1

Does he think Cal sucks and that Cal fans are losers? If so, then he is probably my kindred spirit.
LACalFan
hanky1 said:

LACalFan said:

hanky1

Does he think Cal sucks and that Cal fans are losers? If so, then he is probably my kindred spirit.
Yes and yes
KenBurnski
Hanky, please continue posting stadium updates in game threads. Your commentary had me laughing.
RighteousGoldenBear
Ashamed to admit, but I too found Hanky's real time game updates enjoyable.......
.....gotta ask....was he drunk?
UrsaMajor
hanky1 said:

LACalFan said:

hanky1

Question (out of concern): If Cal starts to win consistently, will you be tempted to commit suicide because your sole purpose in life is gone?
OzarkBear
MR. INCREDIBLE AKA EVAN WEAVER

hanky1
UrsaMajor said:

hanky1 said:

LACalFan said:

hanky1

Question (out of concern): If Cal starts to win consistently, will you be tempted to commit suicide because your sole purpose in life is gone?

Thanks for your concern. Nice to know people care about me on this board.
socalBear23
He does have an amazing resemblance to Mr. incredible!
Sebastabear
I in no way want to disrupt whatever Evan and the team are using for motivation (I've noticed the great ones often psych themselves into believing there was an insult or slight when there clearly wasn't one just to get an edge). And he totally has a point vis-a-vis what happened in the first two games. But in the game in particular beating himself up over the 23 points is a bit much.

You have to keep in mind that the score was 45-9 with 5 minutes left. We took out our entire first string defense and played our 2s and 3s, and even then the refs had to bend over backwards to give Idaho those points. That last series in particular was comical. The perfectly timed hit on the kick off somehow became a personal foul and blatant offensive PI with the receiver pushing our CB to the ground In the end zone somehow became defensive PI. The refs might as well have just written the seven points on the scorecard.

It doesn't really matter, but the point is the first string Cal D did not give up 23 points in this one. Not even close.
Yogi58
Sebastabear said:

It doesn't really matter, but the point is the first string Cal D did not give up 23 points in this one. Not even close.
Yep. If he wants to use it as motivation, I don't care but what the guys did that won't be playing against Oregon I could really honestly not care less. May as well be keeping score in practice to add more things that don't matter.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

Is he talking about us, Cal fans?
Rushinbear
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

Reminds me of Pat Graham. Came into practice as a frosh, some players were clapping to work up some energy, but a few DTs were not. Graham got in the face of the biggest, baddest senior and yelled, "Clap, f__ker!" The f__ker clapped. (He shall go nameless.).

Night before the TN game in Knoxville, the team was milling about in the motel lobby area. Graham got so worked up that he attacked a big Coke vending machine - charged it and tackled it. Everyone looked on in fear.

Weaver seems to have that same kind of energy.
beeasyed
Sebastabear said:

You have to keep in mind that the score was 45-9 with 5 minutes left. We took out our entire first string defense and played our 2s and 3s, and even then the refs had to bend over backwards to give Idaho those points. That last series in particular was comical. The perfectly timed hit on the kick off somehow became a personal foul and blatant offensive PI with the receiver pushing our CB to the ground In the end zone somehow became defensive PI. The refs might as well have just written the seven points on the scorecard.

agreed. but like you said, but if this motivation works for the players, all the better.

with the leadership vacuum of years past, this is a welcome change.
UrsaMajor
Rushinbear said:

Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

Reminds me of Pat Graham. Came into practice as a frosh, some players were clapping to work up some energy, but a few DTs were not. Graham got in the face of the biggest, baddest senior and yelled, "Clap, f__ker!" The f__ker clapped. (He shall go nameless.).

Night before the TN game in Knoxville, the team was milling about in the motel lobby area. Graham got so worked up that he attacked a big Coke vending machine - charged it and tackled it. Everyone looked on in fear.

Weaver seems to have that same kind of energy.
would have been a better story if we hadn't been killed by UT.
UrsaMajor
Sebastabear said:

I in no way want to disrupt whatever Evan and the team are using for motivation (I've noticed the great ones often psych themselves into believing there was an insult or slight when there clearly wasn't one just to get an edge). And he totally has a point vis-a-vis what happened in the first two games. But in the game in particular beating himself up over the 23 points is a bit much.

good point, but I disagree with one observation: the hit on the kickoff was indeed worthy of a penalty. You have to give the returner at least 1 yard "halo" regardless of whether or not he signals fair catch. In this instance, the defender was right in his face when he received the ball.
NVBear78
beeasyed said:

Sebastabear said:

agreed. but like you said, but if this motivation works for the players, all the better.

Ursa, I am thinking he is referencing the Pat Graham who played in the late 1970's (when I was at Cal). I believe we actually won a game at Tennessee in about 1978. Please correct me if my memory is faulty...
Sebastabear
UrsaMajor said:

Sebastabear said:

good point, but I disagree with one observation: the hit on the kickoff was indeed worthy of a penalty. You have to give the returner at least 1 yard "halo" regardless of whether or not he signals fair catch. In this instance, the defender was right in his face when he received the ball.
Pretty sure the NCAA eliminated the halo rule a few years back.

http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/news/2003/0218/1510936.html
FloriDreaming
UrsaMajor said:

hanky1 said:

LACalFan said:

hanky1

And if I win the lottery, I promise to donate a percentage of my winnings to help retire the stadium debt.

And if I wasn't bored, I wouldn't bother posting here. Expressing an opinion about Cal sports here is down there on my "purposes in life" with toenail clipping - actually, considerably below that, but those nails only grow so quickly. These days watching Cal sports barely crosses the toenail threshold (MBB way below that mark these days.) Can't speak for Hanky, but if arguing and being right on this board is even in your top ten reasons for living, you should reach out for professional help. Seriously. I'm pretty sure Hanky is okay.

Rushinbear
NVBear78 said:

beeasyed said:

Sebastabear said:

Ursa, I am thinking he is referencing the Pat Graham who played in the late 1970's (when I was at Cal). I believe we actually won a game at Tennessee in about 1978. Please correct me if my memory is faulty...
Yeah, we won that game and Graham played great. It was especially delicious because it was Johnny Majors' first game back as UT hc. Were the Vols pissed!
Sebastabear
Awesome story, but the real question I have is whether the Coke machine was ok?
Yogi58
UrsaMajor said:

Sebastabear said:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/halo-violation.aspx
UrsaMajor
They eliminated the halo, but not the protection. I still think it was a correct call.
Sebastabear
I think the issue is whether the ball arrived first. It did. We clearly couldn't hit him before it arrived. I thought it was a textbook hit. And if we hadn't been playing an FCS team I don't think it would have been called.
UrsaMajor
Sebastabear said:

I think the issue is whether the ball arrived first. It did. We clearly couldn't hit him before it arrived. I thought it was a textbook hit. And if we hadn't been playing an FCS team I don't think it would have been called.
I respectfully disagree; however, the rule is now ambiguously written. No way to know "what if." The purpose of the rule is to protect a "defenseless" player, which the returner certainly was.
Rushinbear
Sebastabear said:

Awesome story, but the real question I have is whether the Coke machine was ok?
Shaken up on the play, but no bleeding. Can't vouch for the next customer who opened one of those after we left.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.