How Does BYU jump into the top 25??????

3,625 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
Trumpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal goes down to Provo and "blows up" Tanner and the "30 something" men on their own field for 3 quarters before the "D" let's them think they are still in the game......total BS!
cyrusthebear
Transitive property doesn't work in college football. Wake me up when we beat a ranked team, then i'll grab my pitchforks.

If we beat a #6 ranked team, then we should be deserved to be ranked. But that hasn't happened.
evanluck
No way to disparage them without also discounting our win. The question should be why is Cal not ranked in the top 25. Beating the number 6 team in the nation on the road is very impressive and makes our win look better.

Take care of business at home against Oregon and we'll be ranked.
Cal88
BYU beating Wisconsin is going to boost our computer rankings and put one solid preseason win in our resum, look at this as a positive.
golden sloth
cyrusthebear said:

Transitive property doesn't work in college football. Wake me up when we beat a ranked team, then i'll grab my pitchforks.

If we beat a #6 ranked team, then we should be deserved to be ranked. But that hasn't happened.
Although I don't care about the rankings yet (because its too early to get stressed), we did beat a ranked team based on the latest information. Cal beat BYU who is ranked. This whole 'ranked at the time thing' is just stupid. After week 1 a team could have played an FCS team and won, be 1-0 and be ranked #1 overall. They can then lose every game finishing 1-11 and be revealed as one of the worst teams in FBS. If you are the second team to play this team, you do not get credit for knocking off the #1 team in the country, you get credit for beating one of the worst teams in the country. The only ranking that matters is the final one in December.
Trumpanzee
So when BYU went down and beat Arizona on their own field if was credited as a solid win against a pac12 team. But when they lose to Cal, another pac12 team in their own house its discredited? Your logic is misguided, but I do agree it makes that win in BYU a solid for the program and can motivate the boys against "O". This is why Preseason rankings are BS. Look where BSU ended up after this weekend, from 17 to out of the top 25.....should never have been there to begin with!
Bear19
I think BYU got additional votes because of the way the HC danced around in their locker room after the game. Sort of like style marks for ice dancing in the Olympics.
okaydo
Troll said:

Cal goes down to Provo and "blows up" Tanner and the "30 something" men on their own field for 3 quarters before the "D" let's them think they are still in the game......total BS!

As I said in the other thread:

Name me another team that starts off their season with 3 Power 5 teams. Name another team?

BYU did that -- something that Alabama, Cal or any Power 5 team would never, ever do.

And of those 3 games, they beat one Power 5 team on the road, they lost a close game to a Power 5 team at home and they had the biggest upset of the season thus far, beating the No. 6 team at their house in front of 80,000 people.

Now compare that resume to Cal:

Cal barely beat a terrible Power 5 team at home.

They beat a perhaps impressive independent team on the road.

They destroyed a sub-cupcake team at home.

Which team's accomplishments objectively sound more impressive?

I'm going to go with BYU. Sorry.

Trumpanzee
okaydo said:

Troll said:

Name me another team that starts off their season with 3 Power 5 teams. Name another team?

BYU did that -- something that Alabama, Cal or any Power 5 team would never, ever do.

And of those 3 games, they beat one Power 5 team on the road, they lost a close game to a Power 5 team at home and they had the biggest upset of the season thus far, beating the No. 6 team at their house in front of 80,000 people.

Like I tell all my non pac12 friends, we don't have to wait till the end of the year to play bowl games we do it every week in the pac12 Go Bears! I was in Provo for the Cal game and the score was not indicative of the stout defense we put up against BYU, Tanner earned his first 2 sacks of the year....
Trumpanzee
Also, we could be like the rest of those coaches who run up the scores to get style points from the voters. But Wilcox is a class act and a win is a win....
okaydo
Troll said:

okaydo said:

Troll said:

Like I tell all my non pac12 friends, we don't have to wait till the end of the year to play bowl games we do it every week in the pac12 Go Bears! I was in Provo for the Cal game and the score was not indicative of the stout defense we put up against BYU, Tanner earned his first 2 sacks of the year....

Yes, we dominated BYU and the score wasn't as close as it looked. I'm just saying from the perspective of a pollster, BYU's loss doesn't look bad.
bonsallbear
Let's beat Oregon and see what happens.
NYCGOBEARS
bonsallbear said:

Let's beat Oregon and see what happens.

This
Trumpanzee
okaydo said:

Troll said:

okaydo said:

Troll said:

Yes, we dominated BYU and the score wasn't as close as it looked. I'm just saying from the perspective of a pollster, BYU's loss doesn't look bad.

I see your point, it will just be nice to beat the "O" especially if they take care if the Furd....
01Bear
You may be on to something here. The pollsters who didn't actually watch the Cal-BYU game might not have realized how much Cal dominated (to the extent it can be said that Cal has dominated anyone on the gridiron in recent memory) BYU in Provo. Rather, they just looked at the final score and assumed Cal got lucky and barely eked out a road win.

Yet, when I watched the game with my buddy, I never had that all-too-familiar (to Cal fans, anyway) sinking feeling that Cal was somehow going to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. Instead, throughout the game, I was oddly confident of a Cal victoryeven though before the game started, my head convinced me that Cal was somehow overmatched and was likely to lose.

To be honest, in some ways, it was like the scene in _Big Trouble In Little China_ after the good guys quaff the magic potion and everyone feels good/invincible. Only, maybe the only magic potion I drank was the Cal Koolaid, which usually starts sweet every August but ends with the bitter aftertaste of disappointment mixed with the salty tang of tears in one's beer by the end of November.

Yet, Coach Wilcox has me thinking that this year will be different. The Cal Koolaid may not be as sweet as we would like, but we may actually not be terribly disappointed by season's end. I am feeling pretty good about this year's team's odds of making it into a post-season bowl game and even thinking we have a decent shot to end up among the top teams of the conference this year. Who knows, with a little luck, Cal may end up surprising everyone and playing in the most coveted game (for long-suffering Cal fans, anyway) in Southern California on New Year's day in 2019.

Go Bears! (and pass the Koolaid).
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
01Bear said:

To be honest, in some ways, it was like the scene in _Big Trouble In Little China_ after the good guys quaff the magic potion and everyone feels good/invincible.
Nice. A BTILC reference always deserves a "star"

Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Bear19 said:

I think BYU got additional votes because of the way the HC danced around in their locker room after the game. Sort of like style marks for ice dancing in the Olympics.
Does Justin have some Dance Moves, some happenin' Rug Cutters for the team's benefit?
Trumpanzee
01Bear said:

You may be on to something here. The pollsters who didn't actually watch the Cal-BYU game might not have realized how much Cal dominated (to the extent it can be said that Cal has dominated anyone on the gridiron in recent memory) BYU in Provo. Rather, they just looked at the final score and assumed Cal got lucky and barely eked out a road win.

Yet, when I watched the game with my buddy, I never had that all-too-familiar (to Cal fans, anyway) sinking feeling that Cal was somehow going to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. Instead, throughout the game, I was oddly confident of a Cal victoryeven though before the game started, my head convinced me that Cal was somehow overmatched and was likely to lose.

To be honest, in some ways, it was like the scene in _Big Trouble In Little China_ after the good guys quaff the magic potion and everyone feels good/invincible. Only, maybe the only magic potion I drank was the Cal Koolaid, which usually starts sweet every August but ends with the bitter aftertaste of disappointment mixed with the salty tang of tears in one's beer by the end of November.

Yet, Coach Wilcox has me thinking that this year will be different. The Cal Koolaid may not be as sweet as we would like, but we may actually not be terribly disappointed by season's end. I am feeling pretty good about this year's team's odds of making it into a post-season bowl game and even thinking we have a decent shot to end up among the top teams of the conference this year. Who knows, with a little luck, Cal may end up surprising everyone and playing in the most coveted game (for long-suffering Cal fans, anyway) in Southern California on New Year's day in 2019.

Go Bears! (and pass the Koolaid).

I'll line up to drink the Koolaid! If we get past "O" there is a good shot to be 7-0 facing the "Dawgs" at home! But let's take this magical ride one game at a time.
01Bear
Troll said:

But let's take this magical ride one game at a time.

Amen!
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
01Bear said:

Yes, and the oddsmakers know this team better than the pollsters currently, so that'll be reflected on the line after the bye (unless UO shocks everyone this weekend w/ a convincing win over the #7 team).
MugsVanSant
I have to think that it is anti-Cal bias. BYU has an above average home field advantage not only because of the sellout crowd, all dressed in white, but because of the altitude, 4551 feet above sea level. At this altitude each breath contains about 15% less oxygen than at sea level. If you are not used to that you will notice.

Nonetheless Cal beat BYU in every phase of the game. Cal had 22 first downs to BYU's 17. Cal had 167 yards rushing to BYU's 91. Cal had 219 yards passing to BYU's 196. Time of possession was about equal. We had no points off turnovers. BYU had a fumble returned for a touchdown.

I don't think that there is any question that Cal is the better team. Cal does not get its share of replays on the sports networks. There just has to be at least some anti-Cal bias.
GivemTheAxe
MugsVanSant said:

I have to think that it is anti-Cal bias. BYU has an above average home field advantage not only because of the sellout crowd, all dressed in white, but because of the altitude, 4551 feet above sea level. At this altitude each breath contains about 15% less oxygen than at sea level. If you are not used to that you will notice.

Nonetheless Cal beat BYU in every phase of the game. Cal had 22 first downs to BYU's 17. Cal had 167 yards rushing to BYU's 91. Cal had 219 yards passing to BYU's 196. Time of possession was about equal. We had no points off turnovers. BYU had a fumble returned for a touchdown.

I don't think that there is any question that Cal is the better team. Cal does not get its share of replays on the sports networks. There just has to be at least some anti-Cal bias.

I agree with every thing you say. But if Cal loses to UO at home, it will be confirmation to the East Coast pundits that Cal's win over BYU was a fluke.
socalBear23
Hell yes there is a bias. And you know what, we deserve it, because the product has been kinda ****ty for over a decade. When it was Lynch and Djax and Best there was no lack of respect for the Bears.

You know what fixes it??? WINS. Beat the ducks and there is a high probability of going 7-0. Ranked around 14. Then we face the huskies.

One thing I do believe is that Coach W has the team going in the right direction. He just may deliver a Rose bowl before Garbers leaves....
GivemTheAxe
socalBear23 said:

Hell yes there is a bias. And you know what, we deserve it, because the product has been kinda ****ty for over a decade. When it was Lynch and Djax and Best there was no lack of respect for the Bears.

You know what fixes it??? WINS. Beat the ducks and there is a high probability of going 7-0. Ranked around 14. Then we face the huskies.

One thing I do believe is that Coach W has the team going in the right direction. He just may deliver a Rose bowl before Garbers leaves....

You know if Cal qualifies for the RB, an 8.0 earthquake centered in Pasadena will hit at 10 am on game day forcing a cancellation of the game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.