USC Game: Might attend but need advice

6,333 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by heartofthebear
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The stars seem to be aligning for me to attend the Cal game in LA this year.
The reason is that I am going to be on a business trip in Ontario Thursday-Saturday (Nov.8-10).
The Saturday workshop ends at 5 pm.
Assuming the game is at 7:30 (big assumption), I might be able to hop over on the HWY 10 to the game afterwards. Assuming traffic isn't prohibitive (bigger assumption), it is supposed to be about an hour drive.
Plus, it might be the year that Cal does it in LA, which would be a first this century.

However there are many firsts for me here:
  • First sporting event in LA as an adult
  • First Cal game in LA
  • First event at the LA colesium
  • First time dealing with crowds and traffic on Saturday night for an event in LA
  • First time using mass transit (assuming I decide to do that) so I need to know how late stuff runs so I know if I can get back to my hotel
  • Best deals for seats (best places to sit) at the colesium

I could really use some advice from those with experience in these areas and how to do this on a budget.
I don't need to go super poor but I want to be financially efficient.
I especially do not want to waste money paying for parking.

Anyway, since the stars have aligned so far, I am pretty sure the game is going to be at 7:30.
So, assuming it is, what do you recommend.
Oh, and I am assuming it won't be raining either (not such a big assumption)

Thanks in advance for your help.

bearister
Only a word of warning. The Visitor's Section at the coliseum is somewhat of an inside joke. The seats are so far to the right of the endzone that your head will be frozen in the hard left position the entire game. They have good kettle corn there.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
heartofthebear said:

The reason is that I am going to be on a business trip in Ontario Thursday-Saturday (Nov.8-10).
Assuming the game is at 7:30 (big assumption), I might be able to hop over on the HWY 10 to the game afterwards. Assuming traffic isn't prohibitive (bigger assumption), it is supposed to be about an hour drive.
Plus, it might be the year that Cal does it in LA, which would be a first this century.

• First Cal game in LA
  • First time dealing with crowds and traffic on Saturday night for an event in LA
  • First time using mass transit (assuming I decide to do that) so I need to know how late stuff runs so I know if I can get back to my hotel

I could really use some advice from those with experience in these areas and how to do this on a budget.

Anyway, since the stars have aligned so far, I am pretty sure the game is going to be at 7:30.

Horrible visiting team seats and some fans are jerks. If I go, it is with other SC fans and I don't get hassled,. In fact, if you with SC folks, it is a pleasant tailgate scene. For tickets you probably want stub hub or something like that. There are a lot of lousy seats in the outdated Coliseum - beware.

While the area is improving, you want to park at a lot with security and a path that has security on it all the way to the Coliseum. Your best choices are either at the hotel on Fig near their basketball venue or a lot on campus. People get shot near campus - don't cheap out on this. Get there early as possible, even if you have to visit a nearby museum. SC fans show, so there is some traffic, but the nearby parking lots for general admission fill up early.

You can take the train to the game, but I don't know the particulars. Otherwise, LA is not a mass transit kind of place. Not sure about ride-share. Your not in the Bay Area.

Traffic from Ontario on Saturday night (we have flown to Ontario after a Cal game to pick-up our pooch), generally is decent, but if you leave at 5:00 for a 7:30 game, you likely have a long walk to the stadium from where you park, and no guaranty you make ikick-off. Best luck and way to represent!
hanky1
The only traffic you'll probably have to deal with at that time from Ontario is the traffic around DTLA which can potentially be a real disaster. You could just park outside of DTLA and take the metro in. You'll have to transfer twice at Union Station and 7th St but it's not a big deal.
bearister
When I wore my Cal hat on campus at USC lots of people said Go Bears! to me, for you see, they don't look at us as rivals or as a threat. Maybe that will change if we can dump them a couple of times.

They serve a good post game Manhattan at Mckay's on South Figueroa across the street from campus and next to the Raddison.
HighlandDutch
You can almost see the field from the visitors' section.

okaydo
hanky1 said:

The only traffic you'll probably have to deal with at that time from Ontario is the traffic around DTLA which can potentially be a real disaster. You could just park outside of DTLA and take the metro in. You'll have to transfer twice at Union Station and 7th St but it's not a big deal.

Fyght4Cal
heartofthebear said:

• First Cal game in LA

Depending on where you're staying, it may be worth it to park at the Metro transit center off the 10 fwy in El Monte and take the Metro Silver Line. It is a bus that goes from El Monte to San Pedro, using the dedicated bus and HOV lanes. There is a fwy stop right near the Coliseum (37th St/USC). The Silver Line runs 24hrs a day. Check with Metro for postgame departure times.

https://www.metro.net/projects/silverline/

FYI, Metro trains and light rail make their last runs at 2am. One strategy is to go past downtown to the 10 fwy La Brea Blvd exit. Take La Brea south to the La Brea Expo Line Station. Park in the free parking structure on the east side (left side) of La Brea.

The Expo Line light rail train stops at three stations near Coliseum on the north side of Expo Park, between the Coliseum and the USC campus (Vermont; USC/Expo Park; and 37th Street). Postgame you can take the Expo Line back to your car, or all the way to Santa Monica for a nightcap. Again, the trains run past 2am.

As for tickets, I usually recommend getting tickets thru ATO in the Cal section. They are terrible seats, as you can see from the picture(s) above. However, as a part of a major renovation, USC has taken out 10,000 of the best seats to build luxury boxes and a new press box. The availability and price of tickets in other sections may be prohibitive. Perhaps the visitor section is the best option. But ymmv.

The Cal Alumni Assn is sponsoring a no-host tailgate at the California Science Center. There are also a ton of cheap eateries on Figueroa. They are usually swamped, although they may be less so closer to game time.

I hope this helps.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
okaydo
Fyght4Cal said:

heartofthebear said:

• First Cal game in LA

Depending on where you're staying, it may be worth it to park at the Metro transit center off the 10 fwy in El Monte and take the Metro Silver Line. It is a bus that goes from El Monte to San Pedro, using the dedicated bus and HOV lanes. There is a fwy stop right near the Coliseum (37th St/USC). The Silver Line runs 24hrs a day. Check with Metro for postgame departure times.

https://www.metro.net/projects/silverline/

FYI, Metro trains and light rail make their last runs at 2am. One strategy is to go past downtown to the 10 fwy La Brea Blvd exit. Take La Brea south to the La Brea Expo Line Station. Park in the free parking structure on the east side (left side) of La Brea.

The Expo Line light rail train stops at three stations near Coliseum on the north side of Expo Park, between the Coliseum and the USC campus (Vermont; USC/Expo Park; and 37th Street). Postgame you can take the Expo Line back to your car, or all the way to Santa Monica for a nightcap. Again, the trains run past 2am.

As for tickets, I usually recommend getting tickets thru ATO in the Cal section. They are terrible seats, as you can see from the picture(s) above. However, as a part of a major renovation, USC has taken out 10,000 of the best seats to build luxury boxes and a new press box. The availability and price of tickets in other sections may be prohibitive. Perhaps the visitor section is the best option. But ymmv.

The Cal Alumni Assn is sponsoring a no-host tailgate at the California Science Center. There are also a ton of cheap eateries on Figueroa. They are usually swamped, although they may be less so closer to game time.

I hope this helps.

Is the La Brea Expo Line parking lot safe after midnight? (I have genuinely no idea, nor do I have no idea if the Union Station is safer post-midnight.) Just asking.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
bearister said:

When I wore my Cal hat on campus at USC lots of people said Go Bears! to me, for you see, they don't look at us as rivals or as a threat. Maybe that will change if we can dump them a couple of times.
I noticed that too. They have seen us for quite some time in the same category as Beavers fans, the gift of a sure W every season. I welcome the now more rare loud, rude jabs as slivers of relevance. Just, please, do not mention to me for the ten-thousandth time the '03 & '04 games (that is worse than any express insult they could craft).
Fyght4Cal
Yes it is safe. I've dropped friends and family there to pick up their cars during the late hours. I've also taken the last train from there. No incidents to report. Union Station is a good option, too.

Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
ColoradoBear
heartofthebear said:

I would warn you that FS1 is scheduled to show UFC that evening (per matt sarz) and Fox is doing a triple header meaning that they will select a P12 game for either the 1pm or 430pm PT slot. UW has a bye, so the chances of a night game are going to be less than any other typical conference week IMO.
a7051
I'm also thinking about making my first trip to the LA Coliseum this year. Stuck down south for work, so might as well take advantage of the opportunity.
This post has some quality info. I was going to just buy tickets in the visitor section, you guys have talked me out of that.
oskidunker
We havent Beaten them there in 20 years. They have better athletes. Do yourself a favor and Go to Disneyland instead.
Go Bears!
okaydo
heartofthebear said:

• First Cal game in LA

(Now comes the debate over when the century actually began.)

HighlandDutch
okaydo said:

Followed by the debate over whether Pasadena should be deemed part of L.A.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=292900026

ColoradoBear
okaydo said:

heartofthebear said:

You mean "The 20th century was a century that began on January 1, 1901 and ended on December 31, 2000."

And was that the fresneck game that started all the never ever going back there talk?
okaydo
HighlandDutch said:

okaydo said:

I assumed he was referring to beating USC in L.A.
ColoradoBear
HighlandDutch said:

okaydo said:

LA county, for sure!
prospeCt

followed by, Living Artists from San Marino

https://vimeo.com/99293685

heartofthebear
Wow, I posted this before going to work this afternoon and in one day have a great deal to work with.
Thanks so much.
It reminds me of a similar thread I started before trekking to Utah in 2015.
I had to print out that thread and take it with me.
I might do the same thing this time.

Incidentally, it does seem unlikely that the game time will be late enough for me.
So, after all of this, I will probably end up trying to catch it on TV in my hotel or something.

However, I will still print this and keep it filed for the time when I actually make it to the game down there.
Also, I don't care about the jerk USC fans.
Many of my LA relatives are USC fans, I am used to their attitude.

I do think Cal could win this one though. It all depends on the health of each team at that point.

Also, thanks for posting on the win in 2000. I had forgotten about that one.
okaydo
ColoradoBear said:

okaydo said:

heartofthebear said:

You mean "The 20th century was a century that began on January 1, 1901 and ended on December 31, 2000."

And was that the fresneck game that started all the never ever going back there talk?

Whenever somebody brings up the 2000 Fresno State game, I think of the name Gavin McMeeking.

And it turns out Gavin McMeeking lives in Boulder. He is a Colorado Bear. It isn't you, is it?

Gavin wrote a column about covering the Fresno State game:
http://archive.dailycal.org/article.php?id=3320

And he got a lot of hate mail:
http://archive.dailycal.org/article.php?id=3407

And then he wrote a sequel:
http://archive.dailycal.org/article.php?id=4966

Bear8
The color photo posted by Highland Dutch tells a true picture of where you sit. What it doesn't show you is an almost total inability to see what's going on at the other end of the field. And, if this is a night game...fogetaboutit! You won't know what happened unless you see it on a large screen.
One more thing. If Cal does something terrific, like score a touchdown, at the extreme right of the photograph sits the SC band and they play their nauseating tunes in an effort to drown out our cheers. I'm staying home and I live in L.A. and watching the game on TV. Been there, done that.
HighlandDutch
Bear8 said:

The color photo posted by Highland Dutch tells a true picture of where you sit. What it doesn't show you is an almost total inability to see what's going on at the other end of the field. And, if this is a night game...fogetaboutit! You won't know what happened unless you see it on a large screen.
One more thing. If Cal does something terrific, like score a touchdown, at the extreme right of the photograph sits the SC band and they play their nauseating tunes in an effort to drown out our cheers. I'm staying home and I live in L.A. and watching the game on TV. Been there, done that.
I assume (but don't know) there is a P-12 rule that each team must provide a certain number of seats for the visitors. If I'm right about that, it's unbelievable to me that USC has been able to get away with banishing visiting teams' fans to those sections all these years.

Of course, if you asked Larry Scott why USC is allowed to do that, his response would be, "I'm sorry...I must have missed the part when you explained how this issue affects our television contracts."
Cal8285
okaydo said:

ColoradoBear said:

okaydo said:

heartofthebear said:

Whenever somebody brings up the 2000 Fresno State game, I think of the name Gavin McMeeking.

And it turns out Gavin McMeeking lives in Boulder. He is a Colorado Bear. It isn't you, is it?

A review of the hate mail was interesting.

Nicole Omphroy thought the only place in town to find prostitutes at night was the corner of Griffith and Blackstone. She was as ignorant about Fresno as Gavin. While in 2000, most places I went to in Fresno did not have prostitutes at night, sadly, I went to drive by a motel I lived in for 3 weeks in 1964 on N. Motel Row and found it to be a den of prostitutes (and probably drugs, too, but it was too scary to stop and investigate any further what the former family-friendly motel had become).

The best part of that link, though, was this letter:

GIVE BOLLER TIME

Kyle Boller is not the cause of Cal's offensive woes. When Kyle has just a little time, he can get the job done. For example, Boller threw that 50-yard strike to Geoff McArthur in the Fresno State game. How did that play unfold? Boller eluded a heavy rush and bought himself a few seconds to plant his feet and unload.

Before we decide that Kyle is the worst quarterback ever to grace Strawberry Canyon - and I say he will be one of the best by the time he is through - at least wait until the Pac-10 season begins. Perhaps he will have more time to unveil his talents.

Will Lee"

Is that a letter from one of our own posters? Yeah, Kyle was a good QB once he got a decent offensive coaching staff. Nice one, Will!

ColoradoBear
okaydo said:

ColoradoBear said:

okaydo said:

heartofthebear said:

Ha definitely not me. Sounds like that dude does way more important stuff and has not time to obsess over TV schedules, conference payouts and game attendence.

LOL at the hate mail (would guess he got way more crass **** that can't be published). Double LOL at the self loathing Cal alum from Fresno dissing our fans and attendence.

Made me want to peruse attendence numbers at Fresno with their so called better fans. 2000 and 2001 were definitely banner years in terms of sellouts( 4-5 a year). But I looked at the past 10 years at Bulldog stadium and see 4 total sellouts. So yeah, win and fans come, play average and they stay home. Not that different that anywhere else.
bearister
heartofthebear said:

...Incidentally, it does seem unlikely that the game time will be late enough for me.
So, after all of this, I will probably end up trying to catch it on TV in my hotel or something.....

Time Thief! Time Thief! You just stole from me the time it took me to post information for you. ...but if you look at my post count you will see that I have an abundance of it so per unit it has little value.
FuzzyWuzzy
heartofthebear said:

Wow, I posted this before going to work this afternoon and in one day have a great deal to work with.
Thanks so much.

Incidentally, it does seem unlikely that the game time will be late enough for me.
So, after all of this, I will probably end up trying to catch it on TV in my hotel or something.

However, I will still print this and keep it filed for the time when I actually make it to the game down there.

I do think Cal could win this one though. It all depends on the health of each team at that point.

On Saturday morning, check in to your seminar. After half an hour, excuse yourself and go back to your room and pack. Sneak out of the hotel. When you get to your rental car, text your boss that you feel awful and don't want to make everyone else sick so you're just going to take a nap. Hightail it to LA and enjoy the game! At about 11AM, call the hotel to check out of your room. Maybe stop at LA Grand Central Market for lunch.

You only live once!
pingpong2
bearister said:

They serve a good post game Manhattan at Mckay's on South Figueroa across the street from campus and next to the Raddison.
Odd, when I wore my Cal hat on campus a lot of USC fans (didn't exactly look like students or alums, more like Raiders fans if you know what I mean) would yell profanities.

Also had some old guys throw empty beer cans at us too.
TandemBear
bearister said:

Only a word of warning. The Visitor's Section at the coliseum is somewhat of an inside joke. The seats are so far to the right of the endzone that your head will be frozen in the hard left position the entire game. They have good kettle corn there.
I couldn't believe how much of a slap in the face the visitor's section is at that dump. In retaliation, Cal should put those $C a-holes in a fenced pen somewhere on or near Tightwad Hill. No $C fan deserves the accommodations we offer them at Memorial.

For this reason, you should not pay full price for a seat in this location. Find a bargain on Stubhub and sit in a "real" seat. But it will entail sitting next to insufferable SUC "fans" (those who never actually went anywhere NEAR campus), so be prepared for a fight.
heartofthebear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

heartofthebear said:

Thanks so much.

On Saturday morning, check in to your seminar. After half an hour, excuse yourself and go back to your room and pack. Sneak out of the hotel. When you get to your rental car, text your boss that you feel awful and don't want to make everyone else sick so you're just going to take a nap. Hightail it to LA and enjoy the game! At about 11AM, call the hotel to check out of your room. Maybe stop at LA Grand Central Market for lunch.

You only live once!
LOL
Cute except this is not a business trip.
This is a training course I paid for that cost me over a thousand dollars.
And yes I actually want to attend.
I only live once, which is why I don't waste my time and money.
KenBurnski
Hope everything works out
bearister
TandemBear said:

....I couldn't believe how much of a slap in the face the visitor's section is at that dump. In retaliation, Cal should put those $C a-holes in a fenced pen somewhere on or near Tightwad Hill...

Those would still be much better seats than the Visitor's Section at the LA Coliseum. To go straight up equivalent I think you would have to seat the Toejam fans just off the 18th green at Tilden Park GC.
Valleyblue
The horrendous seats is just one of many reasons we haven't been to a Cal/USC game at the Coliseum since 2010, and that's after having attended every one since 1992. During the Q&A at an event several years ago (while we still were going to those games) I asked Sandy Barbour if there had been any conversations with USC regarding better seats. You could tell immediately that I had hit a nerve. She said that there had been conversations and that USC had absolutely no interest nor intention of improving the visitors' seats. Period. She explained that the conference had regulations as to the number of seats that must be provided to visitors, but there are no rules or guidelines as to where the seats must be.

The follow-up question was about retaliating with crappy seats at CMS to which she first replied (and repeated), "There are no bad seats at Memorial." She then said that she was unwilling to stoop to their level, but in reality her initial statement was true, there are no seats in CMS that even come close to being as bad as the coliseum visitors' seats. I maintain that those seats at the coliseum are arguably the worst seats of any venue in the country. The only way you could do payback would be to give them random seats scatter around the first two rows all over CMS. But I'm certain that giving different seats to USC than other visiting teams fans would be a logistical nightmare. I also agreed with Sandy about not playing their childish game.

A funny story, though--the year we played at AT&T during the stadium work, we played the Trojans at "home" and I overheard a couple of their fans complaining about the "crappy seats they gave us, how can they be allowed to do that!" I rolled my eyes so hard they almost got stuck!
heartofthebear
Hey folks
Looks like I'll be doing the training in the Bay Area in the winter so I'm not going to LA after all.
However, I'm keeping a note of this thread for future reference, maybe for 2020.
Thanks a bunch
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.