Memorial Stadium, 45 years ago

3,470 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Big C
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

bearister
I was at that game. My family had Raider season tickets from 1967-1976. At least one preseason game each season was played at CMS. At one of them a Raider broke his neck but I can't remember his name. At the time my dad told me the Raiders paid Cal $100,000 per game (over $550K now). The Panoramic Hill People shut the games down because of noise, etc. and Cal was out good rent.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
TandemBear
I loved the Raiders when I was young. Ken Stabler to Cliff Branch and Fred Biletnikoff was such a thrill. But that was then, before Al Davis soured the deal.

But now I'm aware of the insane tax subsidy(ies) given to NFL teams. I now know that the Raiders have enjoyed slow repayment of a few hundred million dollar taxpayer loan. And that they're now going to stiff Alameda Co. taxpayers about $85 million when they leave. I also know that each Raiders home game costs the City of Oakland $900k.

I no longer have much love for the Raiders. They couldn't leave soon enough. Oakland should stop subsidizing their profitable business (or at least MAKE $900k per game!).

The NFL is just one more example of private enterprise sucking up government subsidy. While people bemoan "bloated pensions," places like Wisconsin are selling taxpayers down the river with $3 BILLION subsidies.

Raiders at Memorial? No thanks.
MSaviolives
My father--who worked for the university--got yelled at by Al LoCasale (Al Davis' henchman) for issuing the University's standard press release about limited parking for that game, as is true for all games at Memorial. Al was concerned that it would impair ticket sales.
LarsBear74
I was there too! Short walk from my apartment on Waring. Walked up to the ticket booth and bought a single seat for like $8 bucks and ended up sitting down low with the Raiders cheerleaders right in front of me. The game as exciting due to the streak being on the line, and the outcome was good, even though I was and still am a bigger 49er fan than Raiders fan. Anyway, I remember that game well.
Chapman_is_Gone
What beautiful natural grass...
Big C
I was there, too! (family season tickets, '71-'74). Those games were the only time I was in Memorial, prior to my freshman year at Cal. A guy in front of us was wearing a hat with a bunch of buttons pinned on it, of an inappropriate nature. (two were "Olympic Screwing Team" and "Power to the *****") This was my most vivid memory of the games.

(censored word is anatomical term for the male member)
sp4149
I was in the Dolphins locker room and on their sideline for that game..
After the game Shula and Griese had a long talk by themselves in the bathroom stalls of that old decrepit visitor's locker room. Would have been a great picture, I even had been taking pictures during the game, but the camera was safely stored at the time. Dolphins were a class act compared to the Raiders, Al and our POTUS had that NY Mob boss business style. Working with the Raiders at CMS for those games started my journey back to the 49ers. I had been a Raider fan since day one.
petalumabear
I was there as well. Remember Ray Guy's punts skying above the rim of the Stadium. We had season tix from 66 - 81 when Al went bananas for the first time....
ddc_Cal
I shared an office with a lady who went to that game. She and her husband were big Raider fans and tailgated every home game and made a whole day of it. Their seats in the coliseum were about five rows from the bottom in the corner of the end zone.

Monday morning, I asked her how she liked the stadium, expecting to hear how great their seat were and how they could see the whole field.

Instead, she said she'd never go there again. I think they paid a lot for parking and still had to climb, which was very hard on them both. And the seats were HARD with no backs. They were both pretty miserable.

I was pretty shocked, but now that I'm older, I see what she meant. The seating is a quantum leap better now. I could not handle the old wooden seats where you are squished on the sides and cannot get into and out of your seats.
kirklandblue
First (and only?) time I sat on tightwad hill, huge crowd, great memory.
bearister
petalumabear said:

I was there as well. Remember Ray Guy's punts skying above the rim of the Stadium. We had season tix from 66 - 81 when Al went bananas for the first time....

I was at the Heidi Game at the Coliseum. I was 14. I think it was cold that day. I also remember Olympic Gold Medalist and iconic Civil Rights advocate Tommie Smith on the Bengals catching a 40 or 50 yard bomb and then getting tackled and breaking ribs. He wasn't durable enough for football.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
petalumabear
bearister said:

petalumabear said:

I was at the Heidi Game at the Coliseum. I was 14. I think it was cold that day. I also remember Olympic Gold Medalist and iconic Civil Rights advocate Tommie Smith on the Bengals catching a 40 or 50 yard bomb and then getting tackled and breaking ribs. He wasn't durable enough for football.
I was at that one, the Sea of Hands, many of Old Man Blanda's (channeling Bill King's radio announcing) FG's and QB-ing when Lamonica or Stabler went down. Some damn good football. The fans were amazing back then. Knew the game and loved their Raiders.... we sat on the 45 yard line about 3/4's up the bleachers in the outfield. So many great memories of those years. I really was mostly oblivious to college football in those days because I was a huge Raider fan......
JimSox
MSaviolives said:

My father--who worked for the university--got yelled at by Al LoCasale (Al Davis' henchman) for issuing the University's standard press release about limited parking for that game, as is true for all games at Memorial. Al was concerned that it would impair ticket sales.
I was a young writer for a TV station and called the Raiders for comment on some issue, can't remember what or exactly when, and LoCasale got on the phone and yelled at me and insulted me and the station just because I asked a question. Intimidation was the name of the game for that bunch. Mob mentality indeed.
But I too was at that game. Sat in the south end zone.
Bears2thDoc
I was there too
Pete Banaszak gave me one of his knee pads.....no longer have it.
I got almost all the Raiders and many Dolphin's autographs.
At the end of the game I picked up a game field pass (back then they were like 3x8" thick paper/cardboard with a string....still have that.

Good Times!
Cal89
Me too, I was there as a little guy. Oddly, my first time in CMS was to see the Raiders. My pop had season tickets.... Thanks for posting.
Sig test...
Big C
petalumabear said:

bearister said:

petalumabear said:

I was at that one, the Sea of Hands, many of Old Man Blanda's (channeling Bill King's radio announcing) FG's and QB-ing when Lamonica or Stabler went down. Some damn good football. The fans were amazing back then. Knew the game and loved their Raiders.... we sat on the 45 yard line about 3/4's up the bleachers in the outfield. So many great memories of those years. I really was mostly oblivious to college football in those days because I was a huge Raider fan......
Same here. i used to memorize phone numbers and such by connecting them with Raiders' jersey numbers. Then I went off to Cal and adjusted my football passions, but I still remember old Raiders' numbers better than those of most Golden Bears', probably because they played longer in those numbers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.