Was so damn optimistic for this year...what the hell happen?????

5,117 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by golden sloth
Trumpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We had a 2nd year QB coming back who finished 5th in total passing yards in the Pac12 (3 QB's ahead of him are in the NFL). We had a 1000 yard rusher returning. An improved O line and defense. So what the HELL HAPPENED??????
bearister
They benched RoBo. The End.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ducky23
In my opinion this is a 7-8 win team with just an average qb and average o-line.

I think most assumed that with Bowers and the entire o-line coming back, we'd be at least average at those positions.

I think those positions can still get there, but will it matter once we start facing the teeth of our schedule?
Trumpanzee
And they (Wilcox) said he's not mobile enough......
bear2034
Turnovers happened. AZ was winnable, Cal would be sitting pretty at 4-1 heading into the UCLA game. Oregon may be the best team in the conference.

Bear19
What happened is that we actually started playing football games against other teams.
calumnus
Troll said:

We had a 2nd year QB coming back who finished 5th in total passing yards in the Pac12 (3 QB's ahead of him are in the NFL). We had a 1000 yard rusher returning. An improved O line and defense. So what the HELL HAPPENED??????

5th in total passing yards, 9th in completion percentage, 11th in yards per attempt, 3rd in interceptions, 10th in QB rating...

We were one of two teams (WSU was the other) that passed more than we ran which increased Bowers total yards, but we were one of the two that were worst at passing (OSU was the other).

Laird was hurt and held out of Fall camp. He does not look 100% He was "deceptively fast" last year. This year he seems pedestrian. Last year he was #8 in yards per carry (5.9 ypc). This year he is #20 (3.6 ypc)

Dancy looked great, now he doesn't play-must be hurt?

Duncan has looked good in limited play.

Last year we were tied for 12th with OSU in yards per play (5.2) . This year we are 11th with 5.5 yards per play.
Blueblood
Troll said:

It's quite obvious what happen. You simply didn't heed anything that I posted eariler this year!

Cal ain't s#!% in football and probably won't be for a very long time!
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

No something else happened to RoBo. Go on the insider site and it all starts making sense.
82gradDLSdad
wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

No something else happened to RoBo. Go on the insider site and it all starts making sense.

Ahhhhhh, I thought there was more to this. Still not paying. It will come out in time.
Northside91
And if it doesn't, it still won't matter. The problem is bigger than Bowers or no Bowers.
calumnus
Northside91 said:

And if it doesn't, it still won't matter. The problem is bigger than Bowers or no Bowers.

Imagine last year's offense if Laird did not play like he did last year.
82gradDLSdad
Northside91 said:

It's just curiosity. And it will be another glimpse into how Wilcox handles things. We know he keeps in-house stuff in-house...bad for interested fans, generally good for the team.
staygolden2001
The second quarter of the first game happened. Bowers went to the bench and Garbers & McIIwain became our quarterback. And then Garbers became our quarterback. And then McLLwain became our quarterback. Will our real quarterback please stand up.
PtownBear1
I take it you're a current student or recent alum? What happened is what happens every time things start looking up for Cal football. It's a phenomenon commonly referred to as typiCal.
drewbur
I saw a tweet from Jim McGill a couple of days ago regarding Bowers. But I can't find it, so perhaps it was pulled. I believe the gist of it is that Bowers has a injury (thumb?) that was only recently diagnosed.
Bobodeluxe
Double secret plus - el cracko thumbo - top secret - do NOT share with anyone.
LACalFan
wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

Are you sure that report is accurate? I'm interested to hear what the mods say when they weigh in.
Yogi58
drewbur said:

I saw a tweet from Jim McGill a couple of days ago regarding Bowers. But I can't find it, so perhaps it was pulled. I believe the gist of it is that Bowers has a injury (thumb?) that was only recently diagnosed.
I'm gonna say "Naw."
82gradDLSdad
Note, this is just a 'fun' guess...the way Bowers just stood at the other end of the sideline from the rest of the QBs rather than be engaged with them and giving them the benefit of his experience suggests something other than an injury.
HoopDreams
If we had beaten AZ many more people would be liking Wilcox

Tough to make a living when only the final score counts

... but looking forward 6 wins and a bowl win is my new goal for this team
Not much different than my previous goal of 7 wins and a bowl win

UCLA is a must win
OldenBear
PtownBear1 said:

I take it you're a current student or recent alum? What happened is what happens every time things start looking up for Cal football. It's a phenomenon commonly referred to as typiCal.
This ....... 45+ years of this......

GoBears72
1. Tre Watson transferred to Texas, our only speed threat from the RB position
2. Demetrius Robertson transferred to Georgia, our only deep threat from the WR position
3. Tall athletic WR Tariq Johnson left school.
4. Ross Bowers had an OK spring, bad first game and did not improve
5. Thus far neither Brandon McIwain or Chase Garbers have proven to be accurate passers or able to hold onto the ball
6. QB Coach Marquis Tuisosopo needs to find his guy, a pocket passer that will play in the NFL.
7. We need to get more athletic on the OL. We finally have a defense.
8. This is only Year Two for Coach Wilcox, and he is still still building a program.

I am looking for forward to fall 2019.

wifeisafurd
LACalFan said:

wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

Are you sure that report is accurate? I'm interested to hear what the mods say when they weigh in.
The tweet was from Bowers himself. There is speculation on when the injury occurred (the injury does not appear to be new), but details on medical stuff is no longer disclosed by the coaching staff. You can go on the insider board to get a sense of what the mods are saying.
going4roses
GoBears72 said:

2. Demetrius Robertson transferred to Georgia, our only deep threat from the WR position
5. Thus far neither Brandon McIwain or Chase Garbers have proven to be accurate passers or able to hold onto the ball
6. QB Coach Marquis Tuisosopo needs to find his guy, a pocket passer that will play in the NFL.
8. This is only Year Two for Coach Wilcox, and he is still still building a program.

greatwood's best lines(winning teams) up in Oregon were for a mobile qb
LACalFan
wifeisafurd said:

LACalFan said:

wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

The tweet was from Bowers himself. There is speculation on when the injury occurred (the injury does not appear to be new), but details on medical stuff is no longer disclosed by the coaching staff. You can go on the insider board to get a sense of what the mods are saying.
The tweet was from a 15 year old who attends the high school where Ross' dad works, not Bowers himself.

Big C
wifeisafurd said:

LACalFan said:

wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

I think I read everything there is to read on the insider board and I don't think anything about this is verified. Lots of unanswered questions and hypotheticals, at this point.
sycasey
. . . people realize the season isn't over yet, right?
YamhillBear
LACalFan said:

The tweet was from a 15 year old who attends the high school where Ross' dad works, not Bowers himself.

Yes, but what have we heard at the Boston Market?
UrsaMajor
wifeisafurd said:

LACalFan said:

wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

Not true. The tweet was from a student at the high school Bowers' father works at.
Trumpanzee
Maybe that's our problem, we have a Dawg for a QB coach......

GoBears72 said:

Big C
sycasey said:

Wrong. We have played five games and we are 3-2. The season is over.

(do i need to write "sarcasm" here?)
golden sloth
Northside91 said:

Exactly, the big question is why did the offensive line regress?
TheSouseFamily
sycasey said:

Amen, brother.
golden sloth
GoBears72 said:

Regarding Point 8, Wilcox was also put in a really bad spot to start Year 1. Not with an Academic mess or anything, but just with regards to recruiting and putting everything in place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.