JT's Bulldogs #23 vs Boise State Friday night

3,987 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yogi58
72CalBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, JT has Fresno State (8-1) climbing the top 25 and play the Broncos (7-2) Friday. Following week is SD State. Go JT, run the table!!
Cal84
I wonder if it is possible that Fresno State could play UCF in a bowl game. I'm just not familiar with the G5 bowl tie-ups....
TouchedTheAxeIn82
I think the MWC champ still plays the Las Vegas Bowl. I doubt Fresno can pass UCF to make a NY6 bowl.

I've seen projections that USC will play Fresno in Las Vegas. I'd love to see a Cal - Fresno matchup rather than the matchups I've seen in various projections against various uninteresting teams.
72CalBear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

I think the MWC champ still plays the Las Vegas Bowl. I doubt Fresno can pass UCF to make a NY6 bowl.

I've seen projections that USC will play Fresno in Las Vegas. I'd love to see a Cal - Fresno matchup rather than the matchups I've seen in various projections against various uninteresting teams.
Have you seen Fresno State play this year? Do you really want to tempt the gods vs JT???
Cal84
I have no desire to see Cal play Fresno State this season in a bowl. There is very limited upside to that and a lot of downside. Regardless, main thing is to become bowl eligible for the additional practice time it enables. We have a young developing team. Getting that additional practice time is how we continue that development.
EricBear
Staff
I listened to Tedford's weekly radio show last night (940 ESPN out of Fresno.) First time I'd caught it. The host was asking him about rankings, what they mean at this point in the season, etc.

Tedford began his response with typical coach-speak, then began reflecting on his time at Cal, particularly the 2004 squad. Said he should have done "a lot more politicking" at the time. That Mack Brown did "a lot of politicking and it cost us the Rose Bowl." Said he thought the team's performance spoke for itself, but learned a hard lesson that year about politicking and swaying voters.

It was good to hear him.
Oski87
Interesting about his comments regarding Mack Brown. Biggest debacle in cal football history - except perhaps when Andy Smith turned them down in 1922.

I think if Fresno beats San Diego and Boise they will be in the mountain West champ game
And play Utah State, which is very good. Mountain West has a good top of the league that they would win through and that could put them in a New Year's Day bowl. UCF is due to lose.

Fresno has 4 more games though. That is a lot. They have a very good defense though.
HungryCalBear
I still like Tedford and root for him all the way. He did struggle the last few years at Cal, probably due to his health and poor stress management. But he did turn the program around, winning enough games to help initiate the construction. Can't blame him for struggling with all the distractions of stadium building, home game relocation to ATT park, Berkeley politics, tree huggers, Cal anti-sports professors, etc. As some mentioned, the low APR score was due more to lack of support from university than Tedford's lack of attention to academic. Plus he lost good coaches due to lack of funding for assistant coaches. I could go on and on ...

Anyway hope he does well at Fresno State until retirement - he deserves it.
Sebastabear
HungryCalBear said:

I still like Tedford and root for him all the way. He did struggle the last few years at Cal, probably due to his health and poor stress management. But he did turn the program around, winning enough games to help initiate the construction. Can't blame him for struggling with all the distractions of stadium building, home game relocation to ATT park, Berkeley politics, tree huggers, Cal anti-sports professors, etc. As some mentioned, the low APR score was due more to lack of support from university than Tedford's lack of attention to academic. Plus he lost good coaches due to lack of funding for assistant coaches. I could go on and on ...

Word. No Tedford means no stadium renovation which very well could have meant no more Cal football. In many ways, Jeff Tedford is the man who saved (or at least preserved) Cal football. He might not have gotten us to the promised land, but he gave us a shot at getting there.
01Bear
Sebastabear said:

Word. No Tedford means no stadium renovation which very well could have meant no more Cal football. In many ways, Jeff Tedford is the man who saved (or at least preserved) Cal football. He might not have gotten us to the promised land, but he gave us a shot at getting there.

Wait, so Jeff Tedford was Cal's Moses? Does that mean Justin Wilcox will be our Joshua (hopefully)?

(As a fan of Cecil B. DeMille's _The Ten Commandments_, I would also suggest that Sonny Dykes was our Dathan.)

01Bear
EricBear said:

I listened to Tedford's weekly radio show last night (940 ESPN out of Fresno.) First time I'd caught it. The host was asking him about rankings, what they mean at this point in the season, etc.

Tedford began his response with typical coach-speak, then began reflecting on his time at Cal, particularly the 2004 squad. Said he should have done "a lot more politicking" at the time. That Mack Brown did "a lot of politicking and it cost us the Rose Bowl." Said he thought the team's performance spoke for itself, but learned a hard lesson that year about politicking and swaying voters.

It was good to hear him.

I've always been fond of Jeff Tedford, even in his later years at Cal. Yeah, I didn't always agree with his playcalling and decision making, but I always respected him (the clipboard throwing incident notwithstanding). I was honestly disappointed when Cal fired him, though I understood why it was done.

I'm glad to see he has taken better care of himself and is doing well at Fresno State. I'll probably always be a fan of his, given how grateful I am to him for making Cal football respectable in the early to mid 00s.

Also, screw Kneepads Brown. I will curse him to my dying day.
Sebastabear
01Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

Wait, so Jeff Tedford was Cal's Moses? Does that mean Justin Wilcox will be our Joshua (hopefully)?

(As a fan of Cecil B. DeMille's _The Ten Commandments_, I would also suggest that Sonny Dykes was our Dathan.)

Given our game against BYU was just this year I'm going to go with a Joseph Smith/ Brigham Young analogy, but yeah you got the drift.
01Bear
Sebastabear said:

Given our game against BYU was just this year I'm going to go with a Joseph Smith/ Brigham Young analogy, but yeah you got the drift.

Lol! I can't fault that logic.
Cal84
01Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

At least we weren't the Baker-Fancher party...
Hail2Calif
Sebastabear said:

HungryCalBear said:

Agreed. After Holmoe, I recall some talk of Cal dropping out of D-1 and going to D-3, more like the Ivy League or UChicago because there was no chance of us ever winning. JT came in, talked about competing for Championships (which drew laughs from media at that point), and proceeded to give Cal fans hope.

I would say some of the anguish on today's boards is due to fan expectations ratcheting way up because of what JT built.

Who remembers laughing at Cal's bowl ban prior to his arrival (as if we would ever get to a bowl) only to then lament in JT's first year how we had to stay home.

Mack Brown isn't anyone Cal fans care about if it weren't for the fact JT had led us from bottom feeder to Rose Bowl contender in 3 seasons.

I think greater awareness of the off-field dysfunction at and around Cal regarding athletics resulted as well - because when 3 wins is the expectation, there's no felt need to look at the whole picture.

Today, I am as optimistic as I ever have been about the overall direction of Cal Athletics. I feel we have a supportive Chancellor, a "get it done" AD, and a first time HC who has changed the culture and expectation within the program.

Talk about changing expectations (and for the better, IMO) and for all that I really appreciated Tedford's tenure at Cal.
TheFiatLux
Sebastabear said:

HungryCalBear said:

Those years from 2004 - 2009, when big crowds and excitement ruled Memorial... when it felt like we had finally arrived on the scene to stay... they were just magical.
FremontBear
Go Tedford!!!
GMP
I am still a huge Tedford fan, but even I am shocked by what he's doing at Fresno. I do appreciate that it lays waste to the revisionist history that many began peddling here over the last few years: Tedford wasn't all that great, and any ol' coach could have arrived at that time and did what he did, and that the real Tedford was late era Tedford.
Cal88
I would prefer we play another team as bowl opponent, part of the bowl experience is being matched up with a cross-national team and fan base. This being said though, rooting for JT and very happy to see he's thriving at his alma mater.
72CalBear
Hail2Calif said:

Sebastabear said:

HungryCalBear said:

Agreed. After Holmoe, I recall some talk of Cal dropping out of D-1 and going to D-3, more like the Ivy League or UChicago because there was no chance of us ever winning. JT came in, talked about competing for Championships (which drew laughs from media at that point), and proceeded to give Cal fans hope.

I would say some of the anguish on today's boards is due to fan expectations ratcheting way up because of what JT built.

Who remembers laughing at Cal's bowl ban prior to his arrival (as if we would ever get to a bowl) only to then lament in JT's first year how we had to stay home.

Mack Brown isn't anyone Cal fans care about if it weren't for the fact JT had led us from bottom feeder to Rose Bowl contender in 3 seasons.

I think greater awareness of the off-field dysfunction at and around Cal regarding athletics resulted as well - because when 3 wins is the expectation, there's no felt need to look at the whole picture.

Today, I am as optimistic as I ever have been about the overall direction of Cal Athletics. I feel we have a supportive Chancellor, a "get it done" AD, and a first time HC who has changed the culture and expectation within the program.

Talk about changing expectations (and for the better, IMO) and for all that I really appreciated Tedford's tenure at Cal.
100% italics above!
calgldnbear
My eyes are going to be totally screwed watching this entire game on a blue smurf turf .... Good thing I will watching ESPNU in about 30 minutes
TouchedTheAxeIn82
This is the first time I've seen them this year. The FSU offense looked pretty rough on the first few drives, but they look pretty good now. The two teams look fairly evenly matched; this game may come down to the final minutes.
BadNewsBear1
Apparently tedford still thinks you can carry over timeouts to the second half. Absolutely the worst time management skills I've ever seen.
Strykur
Other than beating Oregon in 2007, Tedford has yet to win an away game worth a damn.
01Bear
72CalBear said:

100% italics above!

How does one italicize here?
upsetof86
Boise won cause they ran the ball down the bulldogs throats. And FSU could not reciprocate. Bummer. Tedford isn't finished yet.
Yogi58
BadNewsBear1 said:

Apparently tedford still thinks you can carry over timeouts to the second half. Absolutely the worst time management skills I've ever seen.
Some things never change
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.