Garbers as a duel threat QB

3,218 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chazzed
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
last game, there was a play where Garbers kept it and ran up the middle. There was a WSU LB right there to make a rather routine tackle of a QB

Garbers didn't dance, Garbers didn't juke ... Garbers just made one clean cut and left the LB grasping at air.

I took note of that play because I recognized it as the type of move that a finesse runner can make to avoid a tackle. The runners body never indicates any type of cut, but when it's executed it's quick and effective. Sounds simple and a subtle point, but if you've played the game I think you know what I mean.

He did it again in his TD run vs USC

But the eye opener for me was the speed he showed on his long run. I had no idea he was that fast

Then on the QB keeper in the critical series, Garbers had to roll out deep and sprint to the corner. For that play to be successful, you need some agility and most of all speed.

I don't take anything away from him that he slid too early. We know he is not afraid of contact, but he probably just mis-judged where he was and knew he needed to avoid a fumble like his last long run.

I think we have a legit dual threat QB
cal83dls79
Just to be clear. It's "dual"...hence the foils comment from prior post. Signed Subject-A super star
pappysghost
I was impressed with him from the first game. What I like most about him is he's a winner-performs in the clutch. He made a few bad throws but the toss to Wharton was critical. I think he could become an exceptional college qb and could lead us to a Rose Bowl victory. He has a lot of poise for a frosh. He handled the musical qb situation very well. If he can improve on the deep ball, and getting some deep threats will help, he'll have the whole package.
Deutsch
After the long run a major usc supporter turned to me and said, "There's your QB for the next 3 years...damn, he's fast."
bear2034
The offensive highlight of the game was a play that was called back due to penalty. It was exciting mainly because we've never seen a Cal QB run that far. Garbers can put some weight on his frame too.
71Bear
oskirules said:

The offensive highlight of the game was a play that was called back due to penalty. It was exciting mainly because we've never seen a Cal QB run that far. Garbers can put some weight on his frame too.
Actually, some of us have seen a Cal QB run that far (Joe Kapp 92 yards in 1958). Yes, I was there that day.
calumnus
pappysghost said:

I was impressed with him from the first game. What I like most about him is he's a winner-performs in the clutch. He made a few bad throws but the toss to Wharton was critical. I think he could become an exceptional college qb and could lead us to a Rose Bowl victory. He has a lot of poise for a frosh. He handled the musical qb situation very well. If he can improve on the deep ball, and getting some deep threats will help, he'll have the whole package.

Same here, all of this was obvious in game one. Honestly, Garbers has impressed me as much as any freshman QB at Cal since 1980. I think he will only get stronger, better. He needs to be in a better offense (think Jerod Goff on the Rams with the coaching change).
cal83dls79
pappysghost said:

I agree. He goes out there and gets it done and has many tools. What I haven't seen is his vision..and by that I mean when he sees a receiver open before I do. Those are special quarterbacks. Most have it as a freshman. Some can develop, most not. Roth, Ferragamo, Campbell, Pawlaski, A Rod, Goff , Riley? Would love to see an all time rank of downfield vision.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
cal83dls79
The TD call back. When the heck was that?
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
LunchTime
71Bear said:

oskirules said:

Actually, some of us have seen a Cal QB run that far (Joe Kapp 92 yards in 1958). Yes, I was there that day.
was that really 60 years ago? wow.

Reminds me of the Washington game when I told my wife "Cal was winning National Chamiponships in the '20s" and she said

"Its almost the '20s again"

whoa
sycasey
cal83dls79 said:

pappysghost said:

I agree. He goes out there and gets it done and has many tools. What I haven't seen is his vision..and by that I mean when he sees a receiver open before I do. Those are special quarterbacks. Most have it as a freshman. Some can develop, most not. Roth, Ferragamo, Campbell, Pawlaski, A Rod, Goff , Riley? Would love to see an all time rank of downfield vision.
Rodgers definitely had it from the beginning. His instincts were uncanny.

Goff had to develop it a bit, IMO, though that might be because I'm chalking up some of his throws to the offensive system, which pre-planned a lot of stuff.
CALiforniALUM
calumnus said:

pappysghost said:

Same here, all of this was obvious in game one. Honestly, Garbers has impressed me as much as any freshman QB at Cal since 1980. I think he will only get stronger, better. He needs to be in a better offense (think Jerod Goff on the Rams with the coaching change).

He needs more than a coaching change. He needs a Gurley and a Cooks and some beef cake along the line.
sheki
On that run by Garbers, look at their safety #7 Marvell Tell and his attempt at tackling...too funny
RighteousGoldenBear
Garbers really impressed me with his speed. He runs upright and ridged, like that All-American from Alabama who played during the Bear Bryant days......

heartofthebear
RighteousGoldenBear said:

Garbers really impressed me with his speed. He runs upright and ridged, like that All-American from Alabama who played during the Bear Bryant days......

Looks like Chase Forrest.
calumnus
sycasey said:

cal83dls79 said:

pappysghost said:

Rodgers definitely had it from the beginning. His instincts were uncanny.

Goff had to develop it a bit, IMO, though that might be because I'm chalking up some of his throws to the offensive system, which pre-planned a lot of stuff.

Rodgers had awareness, confidence and great accuracy. He could also run enough and knew when to run to get a first down and move the chains.

One thing Rodgers (and Elway, and Marino, and ..) had to learn was that not every pass has to be at full velocity. Sometimes throwing a "catchable" ball, especially to wide open guys on shorter routes, is much preferable. McArthur caught everything, but some of the other guys couldn't always. Rodgers developed more variety of throws in the NFL. Goff had that from the beginning and so does Garbers (though Garbers currently lacks the cannon arm those guys have).

Garbers reminds me a bit of Steve Young.
Gunga la Gunga
Imagine Garbers if he actually had receivers that were occasionally wide open. Imagine if they were 15-25 yards downfield.

My goodness.
chazzed
That happened once last game, as we all know, and he dropped it in there perfectly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.