OT: fires

2,097 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Another Bear
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?

75bear
It's been a crazy year here.
burritos
Anything that didn't burn this year will be subject to burning next year. Anything that escapes burning next year and so on. This is the desertification to a new steady state of the North American continent we're experiencing. Once we're all desert it'll be fine. Deserts don't have fires.
sketchy9
Quasi-Cal related:

The Empire State Building lit up in Blue & Gold in solidarity.
Another Bear
The scary part of this season's fires is that cities/towns are no longer safe, like Paradise.
heartofthebear
The fuel on the ground is like living on a bomb ready to go off with the slightest spark. That's kind of where we are now in Cali. You just pray the spark doesn't drop near you.
bearsandgiants
The woolsey fire started at the Santa susana superfund site owned now by Boeing. The site is surrounded by unusual cases of cancer and was where a salt reactor melted down, releasing more than 400x the radiation of 3mile island. The meltdown was covered up by our govt, then uncovered by a UCLA professor. They were in the middle of a cleanup following more recent cancers when the site went ablaze. But if course...no threat to human health, per the govt that covered up the meltdown and the la times.
TandemBear
Another Bear said:

The scary part of this season's fires is that cities/towns are no longer safe, like Paradise.
Except the 1923 Berkeley Hills fire burned all the way to Shattuck Ave. The fire only stopped when the wind stopped. It is said that if the wind hadn't abated, the fire would have roared all the way to the bay shoreline. So our cities really weren't "safe" in the past either.

That said, climate trends seem to pretty clearly indicate much higher chance and incidence of conflagration. Things don't look too positive.

Can't wait to see what happens to homeowner insurance premiums .
oskidunker
Many must have not have had insurance since they are living in tents. Homeowners insurance includes a year living somewhere else.

I wonder what percentage in Paradise were uninsured. From the looks of it, a very large petcentage. Wish the talking heads would provide some information on this.
Go Bears!
Big C
oskidunker said:

Many must have not have had insurance since they are living in tents. Homeowners insurance includes a year living somewhere else.

I wonder what percentage in Paradise were uninsured. From the looks of it, a very large petcentage. Wish the talking heads would provide some information on this.
I have known a couple of people who grew up in Paradise. They both say it was named ironically. I'm sure lots of residents there are not property owners. Yes, also some property owners were not insured (hard to believe, in this day and age, but that's Paradise for you). Some just probably have nowhere else to go.
oskidunker
If you rent and buy renters insurance for $2-300.00 per year, it would also include 1 year additional living expenses. Foolisish not to have when you live in a forrest.
Go Bears!
Another Bear
TandemBear said:

Another Bear said:

Except the 1923 Berkeley Hills fire burned all the way to Shattuck Ave. The fire only stopped when the wind stopped. It is said that if the wind hadn't abated, the fire would have roared all the way to the bay shoreline. So our cities really weren't "safe" in the past either.

That said, climate trends seem to pretty clearly indicate much higher chance and incidence of conflagration. Things don't look too positive.

Can't wait to see what happens to homeowner insurance premiums .
It would be interesting to see what the city looked like in 1923 and how dense Berkeley was at the time. You know, the flatlands of Berkeley use to be farms and dairies, hence Berkeley Farms. I wonder how many homes where in the hills at the time.

Any way I don't know anything about the 1923 fire. I do know the current epidemic of fires in California are largely climate related, drought fuel, super low humidity and crazy winds. Given how many major fires have happened in NorCal the past few years, I'd say things are different today. The frequency and intensity says things are different. I don't think anywhere in NorCal is safe.

re: insurance premiums, yeah...those are going to hurt.
smh
Another Bear said:

TandemBear said:

Another Bear said:

..It would be interesting to see what the city looked like in 1923 and how dense Berkeley was at the time.. I wonder how many homes where in the hills at the time.

Any way I don't know anything about the 1923 fire..

the fire came down into town on northside iirc..

((trivial pursuit from the media guide, in 1923 andy smith's team allowed a total of 7 pts, finishing 9-0-1))

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Another Bear
Unfortunately that might become a regular thing, not a 100 year thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.