Furd

6,295 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by KenBurnski
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tackle the nuts. Especially when they are doing that jump ball stuff.
wifeisafurd
01Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

01Bear said:

I know it's probably not kosher of me to suggest this, but if the taller Furd receivers go up high to catch passes, the shorter Bear defenders can undercut them (on the tackle), even if it means the Furd receivers end up getting dumped on their heads. At least, this will make the Furd think twice about throwing up jump balls.
That's a penalty and potential ejection, depending on how it's done, because receivers going up for the ball are considered "defenseless" just as QBs.

I was wondering about that. Is it a penalty to hit a jumping receiver in the thigh area from behind? That's tackling at about the defender's waist height. He'd not be spearing or targeting.

If a defender is running full speed to make a play and ends up upending the receiver from behind in the course of making a play, what's the penalty? That is, what penalty could the refs call? (That's a serious question, not a rhetorical question looking to provoke an argument.)
Borderline if you are on top of the guy, and your reaching to make a play. If you take a couple steps and go low under a guy in the air, it is targeting per se. Are you really going to leave that decision in the hands of a Pac 12 ref?
FuzzyWuzzy
wifeisafurd said:

01Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

01Bear said:

I know it's probably not kosher of me to suggest this, but if the taller Furd receivers go up high to catch passes, the shorter Bear defenders can undercut them (on the tackle), even if it means the Furd receivers end up getting dumped on their heads. At least, this will make the Furd think twice about throwing up jump balls.
That's a penalty and potential ejection, depending on how it's done, because receivers going up for the ball are considered "defenseless" just as QBs.

I was wondering about that. Is it a penalty to hit a jumping receiver in the thigh area from behind? That's tackling at about the defender's waist height. He'd not be spearing or targeting.

If a defender is running full speed to make a play and ends up upending the receiver from behind in the course of making a play, what's the penalty? That is, what penalty could the refs call? (That's a serious question, not a rhetorical question looking to provoke an argument.)
Borderline if you are on too if the guy. If you take a couple steps and go low over a guy in the air, it is targeting per se. Are you really going to leave that decision in the hands of a Pac 12 ref?
I thought targeting was head and neck only
FuzzyWuzzy
wifeisafurd said:

01Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

01Bear said:

Borderline if you are on too if the guy. If you take a couple steps and go low over a guy in the air, it is targeting per se. Are you really going to leave that decision in the hands of a Pac 12 ref?
I thought targeting was head and neck only
FuzzyWuzzy
wifeisafurd said:

01Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

01Bear said:

Borderline if you are on top of the guy, and your reaching to make a play. If you take a couple steps and go low under a guy in the air, it is targeting per se. Are you really going to leave that decision in the hands of a Pac 12 ref?
If you can't hit him in the legs where can you hit him. Let's just convert to flag football already. This is getting ridiculous.
KenBurnski
I'm telling you. Drive the helmet directly into the taint area. Do not stop moving legs until 1/4 second after whistle blows. No flags. No dirty cheap shots. Just facemask cracking into genitals, every single time. Go ahead and bracket their receivers and have one guy knock at the ball. And the other guy will also knock at balls. With his face mask and relentless enthusiasm.
TheSouseFamily
KenBurnski said:

I'm telling you. Drive the helmet directly into the taint area. Do not stop moving legs until 1/4 second after whistle blows. No flags. No dirty cheap shots. Just facemask cracking into genitals, every single time. Go ahead and bracket their receivers and have one guy knock at the ball. And the other guy will also knock at balls. With his face mask and relentless enthusiasm.

Sounds like we found our next defensive coordinator if and when DeRuyter leaves.
KenBurnski
Sure. It's very tough making plays on balls when you are having plays made on your balls. I am not a wunderkind like the Rams coach. But I'm an expert on getting smashed directly in the turntables, (dodgeball, not from being a deviant all you jokesters!) and I think it's an effective maneuver.
82gradDLSdad
KenBurnski said:

This is how you block when you are throwing a quick pass. It gets the hands of the DL down. Go ahead, try it. Stuff coming at your junk makes your hands go down to your junk. Crazy.
KenBurnski
Exactly
wifeisafurd
FuzzyWuzzy said:

wifeisafurd said:

01Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

01Bear said:

If you can't hit him in the legs where can you hit him. Let's just convert to flag football already. This is getting ridiculous.
You can't hit a "defenseless" WR. It is "illegal contact" or "unnecessary roughness," 5 or 15 yards and automatic first down. For ejection, it must be unnecessary roughness and found to be flagrant. This is all a matter of degree.

What is defenseless is:

"a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player."

The scenario I discussed was when you are right on the player an he is warding you off. No penalty, you grab what you can. It is when you take a couple steps, and hit him low in the air to turn him over that you are going to get called. It's like pulling a shirt out always draws a holding call.

Edit: just to clarify, you don't often see the ejection for unnecessary roughness, unless the it looks really bad when you tip the WR in the air. That said, helmet to helmet, which is targeting, seems to get called a lot, and that is an automatic ejection.
01Bear
wifeisafurd said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

wifeisafurd said:

01Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

01Bear said:

You can't hit a "defenseless" WR. It is "illegal contact" or "unnecessary roughness," 5 or 15 yards and automatic first down. For ejection, it must be unnecessary roughness and found to be flagrant. This is all a matter of degree.

What is defenseless is:

"a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player."

The scenario I discussed was when you are right on the player an he is warding you off. No penalty, you grab what you can. It is when you take a couple steps, and hit him low in the air to turn him over that you are going to get called. It's like pulling a shirt out always draws a holding call.

Edit: just to clarify, you don't often see the ejection for unnecessary roughness, unless the it looks really bad when you tip the WR in the air. That said, helmet to helmet, which is targeting, seems to get called a lot, and that is an automatic ejection.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought there might be some rule against my suggested course of action, but wasn't sure.
UrsaMajor
If you hit him in the thigh, I believe it's OK, but at the knee or below is the same as if you target the lower leg of a QB, at least that's my understanding.
NYCGOBEARS
UrsaMajor said:

If you hit him in the thigh, I believe it's OK, but at the knee or below is the same as if you target the lower leg of a QB, at least that's my understanding.

I say hit em in the junk... and I literally mean junk.
UrsaMajor
NYCGOBEARS said:

UrsaMajor said:

No quarrel here.
KenBurnski
NYCGOBEARS said:

UrsaMajor said:

This is the correct strategy. Anyone doubting should have their significant other, or even just a random hobo, punch them in the nuts 6 times in 20 minutes while they try catching a nerf ball or Doritos. Report back on completion numbers.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.