Rod Gilmore being a tool

5,431 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearGoggles
NeverOddOrEven
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know he's a tool practically all the time, but he had this whole thing during the Garber fumble replay review where he was spewing some nonsense about a study from University of Chicago showing that what you see on video isn't actually what happened. Well, it made no sense, but I was curious, so here it is: https://newschicagobooth.uchicago.edu/newsroom/viewing-video-slow-motion-makes-action-appear-more-intentional-new-study-finds

Of course, it has nothing to do with the context of this replay review...
AXLBear
He's 110% awful. He should'nt be allowed anywhere near a broadcast booth. And he's also blocked me on Twitter, so I'm quite proud.
berknolongerclaimusc82
I'd rather have Gilmore than Jesse Palmer who is the absolute worst.
AEM80
Gilmore is by far my least favorite announcer. Just so anti Cal. Of course he's a big Shaw guy. He's also a big Herm Edwards guy. I was listening to him doing an Arizona State game earlier this year and he went on and on about Edwards, just what a great human being he was and how every parent should want their kid to play for him. His game analysis provides no insight whatsoever.
tim94501
Listening to Gilmore do cal games is brutal.
XXXBEAR
Just watched the replay. Although I agree it has always been clear he hates Cal, I thought this was one of his best game calls (because he also hates USC). As the game developed he consistently commented on Cal's energy and grit. Of course, what choice did he have?

kirklandblue
It seemed to me also that he was a bit more decent in this game, more than what I expected. Maybe, I thought, because we actually play fundamentally sound football now? Anyway agree he just always finds a way to be offensive, but for me, Brock Huard, while he doesn't specifically hate Cal, just grinds you down, down, down until you have to run outside and scream, so he's my worst. Thankfully I don't recall him on any Cal games.
UrsaMajor
Truth is: Pac-12 football, even on ESPN, although especially on P-12 network, has so many intolerably awful announcers to choose from. In no particular order:

Ted Robinson
Rod Gilmore
Yogi Roth

and for basketball:
Sean Farnham
Marquis "Yacka!" Johnson (is he still around?)
Bill (Conference of Champions) Walton
HighlandDutch
XXXBEAR said:

Just watched the replay. Although I agree it has always been clear he hates Cal, I thought this was one of his best game calls (because he also hates USC). As the game developed he consistently commented on Cal's energy and grit. Of course, what choice did he have?

I agree with this. He seemed okay...or at least better than usual.

One thing that did have me talking to my TV was when the SC player was called for the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the last drive. He just assumed the SC player was reacting to chirping from the Cal bench...that's possible, but maybe he just decided on his own to talk some s___ to the bench.
LACalFan

Amen
LACalFan
UrsaMajor said:

Truth is: Pac-12 football, even on ESPN, although especially on P-12 network, has so many intolerably awful announcers to choose from. In no particular order:

Ted Robinson
Rod Gilmore
Yogi Roth

and for basketball:
Sean Farnham
Gilmore would be at the top of my list. I heard Farnham for the first time for the Yale game in China and that dude was a joke. His yelling into the mic was insane. I think Yogi is ok and I actually like Walton, but I can see why he would annoy most.
Another Bear
Gilmore is annoying in that whiny Furd way, so I turn down the sound. For the truly awful, like Joe Buck, I turn the sound OFF.
txwharfrat
AXLBear said:

He's 110% awful. He should'nt be allowed anywhere near a broadcast booth. And he's also blocked me on Twitter, so I'm quite proud.
Yeah ... he blocked me on twitter a couple of years ago. He is so incredibly annoying and is still seriously butt hurt about the 1982 Big Game, in which he was a player...
Another Bear
txwharfrat said:

AXLBear said:

Yeah ... he blocked me on twitter a couple of years ago. He is so incredibly annoying and is still seriously butt hurt about the 1982 Big Game, in which he was a player...
He's been ribbed on the air about The Play by broadcast partner. It was great.
Cal84
As KR13 would say, "Rod Gilmore, he's the worst".
GMP
UrsaMajor said:

Ted Robinson
Rod Gilmore
Yogi Roth

and for basketball:
Sean Farnham

If you don't like Yogi Roth, no one will please you. He's incredibly inoffensive.
FuzzyWuzzy
GMP said:

UrsaMajor said:

Ted Robinson
Rod Gilmore
Yogi Roth

and for basketball:
Sean Farnham

If you don't like Yogi Roth, no one will please you. He's incredibly inoffensive.
I like Yogi. Knowledgeable and easy to listen to. I could swear he does the voice-over for the Taco Bell commercials they show on P12N.

Gilmore grates. Farnham and Yacka are terrible. Walton is funny, I'll take him any day over Farnham or Yacka.
79 Bear
Don't know if you noticed, but Gilmore was wearing a tie with the Toejam colors. He also did not have it on correctly, as it was showing from the backside of his collar.
sycasey
kirklandblue said:

It seemed to me also that he was a bit more decent in this game, more than what I expected. Maybe, I thought, because we actually play fundamentally sound football now? Anyway agree he just always finds a way to be offensive, but for me, Brock Huard, while he doesn't specifically hate Cal, just grinds you down, down, down until you have to run outside and scream, so he's my worst. Thankfully I don't recall him on any Cal games.
Agreed. For Gilmore, this was a reasonably fair performance.
RollOnUBears1
Gilmore is the worst - Saturday I got the radio when the game started and listened to Starkey and Pawlawski. Pawlawski's color commentary (and no Gilmore) were worth the ten-second delay between TV and radio. Robinson is right up there - better on 49ers radio but still finds a way to bring Stanford into broadcasts when it doesn't make any sense. Actually like Roth.
Oski87
LACalFan said:

Amen

This is hilarious and so true. Every true Cal fan just hates this guy.

Huard is awful and so is Robinson but Gilmore takes the cake.

That said - this was his most even keeled Cal game call ever. And it was still so grating.

If Starkey was on time I would listed to the radio but it is too annoying to be off by so much.

And *** is Toby Gerhart doing in the PAC 12 networks? He should immediate be checked out for CTE - he has such a hard time articulating his basic thoughts.
85Bear
Oski87 said:

And *** is Toby Gerhart doing in the PAC 12 networks? He should immediate be checked out for CTE - he has such a hard time articulating his basic thoughts.
Agreed; Gerhart did not look comfortable or natural. Maybe he's new at it. OTOH, Ryan Leaf has been better than I had expected. Maybe WSU's education >> Furd's.
txwharfrat
Oski87 said:

LACalFan said:

Amen

This is hilarious and so true. Every true Cal fan just hates this guy.

Huard is awful and so is Robinson but Gilmore takes the cake.

That said - this was his most even keeled Cal game call ever. And it was still so grating.

If Starkey was on time I would listed to the radio but it is too annoying to be off by so much.

Guys ... this is a pretty easy fix. You pause the TV for a few seconds until the radio matches the video. When catching the games live on TV, I listen to KGO via I-Heart Radio on my iPhone and bluetooth speaker while the TV shows the game on my big screen. Just hit the pause button on your DVR to get about a 7-second delay and you are good to go.

The ONLY problem with this is trying to post on BI or do live chatting. You will be 7 seconds behind everyone else....
Cal84
LOL, this our generation's version of time travel. It's only 7 seconds at a time, but it's a start...
STEAKKNIVES4LIFE
Mute button.
heartofthebear
tim94501 said:

I want Chris Collinsworth
heartofthebear
RollOnUBears1 said:

Gilmore is the worst - Saturday I got the radio when the game started and listened to Starkey and Pawlawski. Pawlawski's color commentary (and no Gilmore) were worth the ten-second delay between TV and radio. Robinson is right up there - better on 49ers radio but still finds a way to bring Stanford into broadcasts when it doesn't make any sense. Actually like Roth.
I watched the spanish broadcast on ESPN. Without watching the screen and knowing Spanish, I was still able to follow the game better than listening to Starkey.
sycasey
heartofthebear said:

tim94501 said:

That's the other thing. College football color analysts are generally terrible. Can you even name five good ones? After Herbstreit the list gets real short.
RollOnUBears1
Except that the radio was ten seconds ahead of the TV.
heartofthebear
sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

tim94501 said:

That's the other thing. College football color analysts are generally terrible. Can you even name five good ones? After Herbstreit the list gets real short.
How does Chris Collinsworth know some specific nuance of the play just seconds after it happens, have the video isolation to back it up and summarize it right up to the beginning of the next play like a DJ leading into the start of the next tune. And then say it all in a very relaxed conversational tone like he's talking to you over Thanksgiving dinner. That is flat out talent.
sycasey
heartofthebear said:

sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

tim94501 said:

How does Chris Collinsworth know some specific nuance of the play just seconds after it happens, have the video isolation to back it up and summarize it right up to the beginning of the next play like a DJ leading into the start of the next tune. And then say it all in a very relaxed conversational tone like he's talking to you over Thanksgiving dinner. That is flat out talent.

Tony Romo has been even better. He'll diagram a play right before it happens.
juarezbear
GMP said:

UrsaMajor said:

Ted Robinson
Rod Gilmore
Yogi Roth

and for basketball:
Sean Farnham

Agreed! Yogi is great and even-handed. I love listening to Walton, probably because I'm also a Deadhead.
Californication
The other problem is that if Starkey is calling the game, he calls the play after the play is over, so maybe you need to add another 5-6 seconds to the pause.
BearGoggles
Californication said:

The other problem is that if Starkey is calling the game, he calls the play after the play is over, so maybe you need to add another 5-6 seconds to the pause.
This. And it has always been that way. I can't listen to the man despite how much he loves Cal. He's a play-by-play announcer who literally doesn't describe the play. And after the play is over, you only get half of the information after the fact. As he's aged, he's making more mistakes.

Gilmore is awful, but I would never turn on Starkey instead. I may need to brush up on my spanish.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.