Wide Receiver Health Update

7,122 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by heartofthebear
RichyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Paul Hournung was a QB in college, he became an All-Pro RB with the Green Bay Packers.
Bill Kilmer was a single wing tailback with UCLA, the 49ers drafted him to play Qb when they used the shotgun. After the 49ers dropped the shotgun and went back to the T, Kilmer was moved to RB. After he broke his leg (or some injury that lessened his speed he became the starting QB for the Redskins.
If not this season, I think they should consider moving BM to RB next year. They have the whole off season to teach him how to hold onto the ball.
Calcoholic
It's gotta be a major advantage knowing all the routes and understanding the route tree from the QB perspective.
UrsaMajor
RichyBear said:

Paul Hournung was a QB in college, he became an All-Pro RB with the Green Bay Packers.
Bill Kilmer was a single wing tailback with UCLA, the 49ers drafted him to play Qb when they used the shotgun. After the 49ers dropped the shotgun and went back to the T, Kilmer was moved to RB. After he broke his leg (or some injury that lessened his speed he became the starting QB for the Redskins.
If not this season, I think they should consider moving BM to RB next year. They have the whole off season to teach him how to hold onto the ball.
Hornung was actually a running back his first 3 years at ND and only shifted to QB in his senior year. At that time ND, like most college teams was primarily a running team, so the QB was more of a running back than passer.

Interestingly, the shotgun of Hickey's at SF used rotating QBs. Kilmer was primarily a runner, although he offered the threat of pass. Brodie was almost purely a passer, and the 3rd QB, Bobby Waters, was the true dual threat, as he ran an passed about equally.
bonsallbear
My preference would be to have Brandon play free safety. The Rams had a pro free safety who converted from quarterback at I believe it was Kansas. Dave Elmendorf
Beardog26
Nolan Cromwell?
FuzzyWuzzy
Beardog26 said:

Nolan Cromwell?
John Lynch is another Qb turned safety.

Scott Frost.
heartofthebear
Rushinbear said:

packawana said:

I can't tell if this is serious or not
Dead serious. Been saying it for months.
OK
But I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

AunBear89 said:

burritos said:

Would a fly sweep to BM be such a bad play call?

Sounds really tempting, but I can't see any defense seeing the Bears line up with Brandon out wide and not keying on a sweep. You'd have to set it up with other plays out of same formation. Not worth the necessary practice reps to insert in the game plan.
Simple instruction for now: "Go long. If the db has inside leverage, go for the corner. If outside, go for the post." After 2 fly routes, "Curl. In, if outside leverage. Out, if inside." That's all you can ask for at this stage, but at least they'd have to honor it, thereby loosening up the other wr's a little.

Or a throw to Noa, a TE or RB underneath
heartofthebear
fat_slice said:

Rushinbear said:

Cal88 said:

He's the backup QB right now, you have to have someone with experience at the position ready to go should Garbers get banged up.
Well, unless McI is banged up playing wr, you put him back in at qb, should Garbers get dinged. It's not like he would have forgotten all he learned in a matter of a game or two. Aaaaaaaand, you've got Forrest. He'd give you every ounce he had. This is the kind of bridge you would cross when you came to it. Right now, we've got what? 2 schollie wr's? Three?

The guy can't hang on to the ball when it is handed to him, what makes us all think he can catch it let alone hang on to it when the frequency of high speed collisions will be much larger as a wide receiver?
Well, remember, he doesn't have to try to catch his own Nolan Ryan passes.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.