Question for Killa and Berk: About that Stanfurd Offense......

1,736 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NVBear78
NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have watched Stanfurd successfully complete lob passes to their tall, strong Tight Ends and Wide Receivers all season long. Last Saturday their best receiver was out with an injury so their second string Tight End caught four, count'em 4 touchdown passes in the first half.

Other teams have tall receivers but nobody consistently hits the Jump Ball pass like Stanfraud, how do they do it? They do have multiple big receivers in the game at the same time and I assume they scheme to get one on one coverage and their QB then finds the match up he likes and goes there with the ball.

This is much more difficult to accomplish then is generally thought. Cal has a 6'7" Tight End and a 6'4" Wide Receiver but hasn't completed a single pass this way all season. It takes great size, strength and skill from the receivers and a QB that is adept at making the throw with the right touch.

So how does Stanfurd do this seemingly with ease while other College teams struggle and you rarely see this in the pro's? And most importantly what does Cal need to do to combat this challenge?

I do believe one of the keys is to hit the Stanfurd offense in the Mouth so to speak and make them know they will have to fight for every inch. I see Stanfurd receivers in lots of wrestling matches for the ball but less often see them getting drilled the moment the ball arrives.

It also seems that Costello has all day to find the guy he wants in the Red Zone so well timed and executed blitzes may force mistakes and well disguised coverages can help as well..

Keeping my fingers crossed that our D has some good answers on Saturday.

Go Bears!
Bear8
Arcega-Whiteside has developed a skill of placing his big body in front of the smaller defender in order to score. A-W was a basketball player before becoming a receiver and uses that learned skill to defeat defenders. Our smaller CBs will have to avoid being placed behind this guy. Always front him. A-W was the injured receiver this last week. So all of sudden Parkinson becomes everyone's nightmare.
oski003
Cal scored 49 points on OSU.
NVBear78
Bear8 said:

Arcega-Whiteside has developed a skill of placing his big body in front of the smaller defender in order to score. A-W was a basketball player before becoming a receiver and uses that learned skill to defeat defenders. Our smaller CBs will have to avoid being placed behind this guy. Always front him. A-W was the injured receiver this last week. So all of sudden Parkinson becomes everyone's nightmare.

Stanfurd Offense and receivers have been doing this for years.. Why can't anyone stop it when they know it is coming?
killa22
We can go into further depth on the matter, but in a nutshell / layman's perspective its simple.

Furds personnel groupings and concept mix force teams to play one high structures to allocate 8 to the run. This essentially leaves the perimeter and often times the slot in one on one whether zone or man it doesn't matter, single coverage is single coverage.

Furd recruits size over athleticism since they seek to win i the phone booth rather than in space. This approach leads to just straight isolation on the edge in the pass game.

They're in a little more of a quandary this year since they can establish the run to the same degree as they are used to, but their personnel groupings still force you to consider the run and make you play a lot of one high to stop it.
heartofthebear
NVBear78 said:

We have watched Stanfurd successfully complete lob passes to their tall, strong Tight Ends and Wide Receivers all season long. Last Saturday their best receiver was out with an injury so their second string Tight End caught four, count'em 4 touchdown passes in the first half.

Other teams have tall receivers but nobody consistently hits the Jump Ball pass like Stanfraud, how do they do it? They do have multiple big receivers in the game at the same time and I assume they scheme to get one on one coverage and their QB then finds the match up he likes and goes there with the ball.

This is much more difficult to accomplish then is generally thought. Cal has a 6'7" Tight End and a 6'4" Wide Receiver but hasn't completed a single pass this way all season. It takes great size, strength and skill from the receivers and a QB that is adept at making the throw with the right touch.

So how does Stanfurd do this seemingly with ease while other College teams struggle and you rarely see this in the pro's? And most importantly what does Cal need to do to combat this challenge?

I do believe one of the keys is to hit the Stanfurd offense in the Mouth so to speak and make them know they will have to fight for every inch. I see Stanfurd receivers in lots of wrestling matches for the ball but less often see them getting drilled the moment the ball arrives.

It also seems that Costello has all day to find the guy he wants in the Red Zone so well timed and executed blitzes may force mistakes and well disguised coverages can help as well..

Keeping my fingers crossed that our D has some good answers on Saturday.

Go Bears!
1. step 1= Jump
2.step 2 = stick you hand in there and punch out the ball

That's how our DBs are going to stop it. And if that doesn't work.

3. Step 3 = crunch the hell out of them with hits on each side by Hawkins and Beck and make them pay.

and if that doesn't work...

4. Step 4= sick Weaver on them

At that point Furd will be sorry steps 1-3 failed.
NVBear78
I have never seen anyone hit the big Furd receivers low when they are up in the air. That might give them something to think about.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.