Cal can beat anyone

2,020 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
Larno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is the first time in many years that I believe that Cal could beat any team in the league. Granted there are no dominant teams this year. WSU is not anywhere near the level of some of the top teams in the last decade, Washington and Stanford and Oregon are all down compared to previous years. Nevertheless, even with a "challenged" offense Cal has demonstrated that they can hang with the top teams and even beat some. Poor quarterback choices cost at least one and maybe two games. Can't go back and replay those games but we can take the next two (and three with the bowl). I think the stadium will be rocking on Saturday. Everyone go who can, no seat sales to the Furds, no red in the Cal sections. And, of course, Go Bears!
tim94501
In the pac 12 i agree. We'd get embarrassed by the top teams in the country.
sketchy9
Agreed. As the UCLA game showed, however, we can also lose to anyone. The name of the game this year in the Pac is parity, and we're right there with everyone else.
GMP
tim94501 said:

I don't know that embarrassed is the right word. I think our defense is so good that no one would embarrass us, with the anomaly being the UCLA game. Against some, not all, of the top 10 teams, I think our defense would give us a puncher's chance.
tim94501
Alabama and Clemson would make it REALLY ugly.
calumnus
GMP said:

tim94501 said:

I don't know that embarrassed is the right word. I think our defense is so good that no one would embarrass us, with the anomaly being the UCLA game. Against some, not all, of the top 10 teams, I think our defense would give us a puncher's chance.

Against a good defense we would struggle to get a single first down. Our defense might keep it close in the first half, but then....
Cal84
We would have a chance against some top teams like Oklahoma and Wazzu (proven). But it would be ugly against any of Bama/Clemson/Michigan/ND. Fortunately we don't have to worry about that. Furd and then the Buffs. That's enough to worry about.
Cal88
We could give the top teams a bit of a challenge if our WRs are healthy.
FloriDreaming
Cal can beat anyone in the Pac 12 (already proven that) and can lose to just about anyone (also proven that).

Because Cal's offense is so bad, the slightest mistake anywhere on the field has massive implications. Fumbles, interceptions, penalties, a missed tackle or read, shanking a kick or punt, all deadly.

So Cal CAN beat anyone, but given the law of averages when it comes to making mistakes in college football, they'll lose quite a few games, too.

Now, if Cal had a halfway decent offense...
heartofthebear
IMHO I don't think Cal can lose to anyone because Oregon St. is anyone.
Or maybe Oregon St. is no one. So, yeah, I see what we're saying.
Carry on.
NYCGOBEARS
Over exuberance can be charming, as in this case.
bearister
Yes, just like Denver won that SB when Mannning had a bad wing and could only throw the ball 10 yards. A superior defense gives you a puncher's chance against anyone because the scores are so low you are never out of it. It is similar in baseball when you have awesome pitching and no bats. Sometimes 1-0 wins the game.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.