Mac out at CU....

15,539 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A Denver TV station has reported that MacIntyre will leave CU at the end of the season.
AEM80
So he has been fired? Could be helpful on recruiting front. We were recruiting some of the same players. Not really surprised but the timing is a little weird.
Gkhoury2325
Can we get their 4* WR
hanky1
That's really bizarre if true. Does anyone remember how utterly bad they were before MacIntyre? They were worse than Cal 2013.
Cal84
I think this is a mistake on their part....
MoragaBear
Staff
He went:

4-8 (1-8)
2-10 (0-9)
4-9 (1-8)
10-4 (8-1) with mostly 4th and 5th year starters
5-7 (2-7)
5-5 (2-5)

14-38 in P12 play in most of 6 seasons.

Hard to argue to keep him. That one good year was a bit of a mirage.
Beardog26
He also lost Jim Leavitt, a really good DC, after that outlier great season in 2016. Not sure why people remain so high on Mac. He's an OK P5 coach, but in no way irreplaceable.
ducky23
They apparently think they're getting les miles. That would be......interesting
packawana
Do they actually believe they're getting Miles? Because otherwise this is insane.
Trumpanzee
packawana said:

Do they actually believe they're getting Miles? Because otherwise this is insane.
They think they can get Les to come to Colorado! That's like believing Leach would go to the Paloose!

socaliganbear
Is Les to CU really that far fetched? No one else jumped at him last year...
PtownBear1
His effeminate sideline pouting will be missed.
oskidunker
Can he coach basketball.
Go Bears!
Calcoholic
He started the year 5-0. He's been 0-5 since. That will get you fired.
Cal89
If true, MM will land another HC job, in the P5, unlike our 2013 hire.

He did more with less at CU. By almost all accounts the Colorado job was the least desirable destination of all vacancies that season. Their recruiting classes were at the bottom of the conference, and that remained the case just until the last year or two. Even during those early seasons, when the wins were not materializing, both the offense and defense were improving (yards and point metrics). That 2016 season was a special one for CU. While it is true that their roster was one of the most experienced in FBS that year, they capitalized on such. When we had such a veteran and experienced team, comprised of superior recruiting classes, and the number one pick at QB, we still lost the majority of our Pac-12 games...

The Pac-12 is down, and the South has been more so as of late, and I imagine the CU administration feels that they should have capitalized. They clearly have not.

This year CU had the 107th most experienced roster coming into the season. Coupled with a rash of injuries, what appears to be more than many/most teams, there are noteworthy talent and depth issues. I trust that CU realizes this though, so I imagine they have some solid prospects and interest, maybe one in particular.

I'm glad we are not shopping for a HC now! Our UNC friends, among many others, are in the market...
CalGrad95
Last thing we need is CU sniffing around our defensive coordinator.
RJABear
oskidunker said:

Can he coach basketball.
Nicely done
KoreAmBear
Calcoholic said:

Mooch did that and got a HC gig in the NFL. I guess it matters HOW you did it lol.
85Bear
KoreAmBear said:

Mooch did that and got a HC gig in the NFL. I guess it matters HOW you did it lol.
You beat me to it.
ColoradoBear
Read somewhere that the timing was to get in on the Les Miles chase before Kansas hired him. If it's CU vs KU, then Colorado should have a really good chance (maybe some nostalgia because he coached there under MacCartney) Mostly because Kansas doesn't even have a natural grass field:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/cDm8sLlqIytEcjxX1na8hwniha8=/1000x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2441216/leseats.0.gif

But the strange thing is that miles would even consider Kansas. As in no better offers? He could be past his prime and just an expensove big name. But everything is a risk, he could do great (just not at KU).
Mikeman
Maybe he will go back to SJS
Shoreline
wouldn't be surprised to see his players go balls to the wall in his last game against us. anyone remember how last year's COL game turned out...

82gradDLSdad
KoreAmBear said:

Calcoholic said:

He did it with Tom Holmoe as DC. He should have been national coach of the year.
hanky1
If the Kansas State job opens up (and it looks like it will) look for Oregon to lose their DC Jim Leavit.
Big C
Shoreline said:

wouldn't be surprised to see his players go balls to the wall in his last game against us. anyone remember how last year's COL game turned out...

Yeah, this is what scares me. Hopefully, the Buffs will be in hopeless disarray, instead.

Mac did a mediocre job at Colorado, which was only brought up to that level by one good year. Granted, he started with nothing and built it to something, but still... I get why they want to roll the dice for something better.
jy1988
He couldn't sustain success, and I bet his demeanor had no small part in getting him ousted, if true.
MoragaBear
Staff
Cal hasn't had a year with nearly as many 4th and 5th year players in the 2 deep like CU had in their big season.
hanky1
Colorado AD just released a statement saying no decision has actually been made yet. Huh???
Cal88
Quote:

This year CU had the 107th most experienced roster coming into the season. Coupled with a rash of injuries, what appears to be more than many/most teams, there are noteworthy talent and depth issues.
A decent head coach shouldn't put his program into this situation so deep into his tenure, this is poor personnel management on his part.
bear2034
Their loss to Oregon State was just terrible. They were at home with a big lead going into the 2nd half. Maybe that's how USC feels right about now.
FloriDreaming
Good call for CU. He wasn't getting the job done.

All in all his track record looks a lot like the bad Cal coaches, too numerous to mention. A bunch of bad years and excuses and one good year that turns out to have been a fluke. Good coaches win and keep winning. Bad coaches can get lucky once in a while. Mac was a bad coach.

Unfortunately, this likely means Cal will see a much more energized CU team in two weeks.
Oski87
We better lock down our coaches.
okaydo
What did Wilner say?

calgldnbear
okaydo said:

What did Wilner say?

Just because the Buffalo is the only animal that walks into a storm doesn't make it the smartest animal .... but ok
Trumpanzee
That's because we have high academic standards that only a few can achieve.....

MoragaBear said:

Cal hasn't had a year with nearly as many 4th and 5th year players in the 2 deep like CU had in their big season.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.