My Big Game Story (The Streak Lives)!!!

1,796 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hotlanta
alarsuel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No one will care, but I have to share with the only group in the world that may understand. I'm writing this message on a flight from LA to Orlando (currently over Houston). This trip - Miami & Cleveland next was going to cause me to miss Big Game and end my streak of 33 consecutive. I have agonized over this for weeks, but I simply couldn't pass up the work opportunity. My heart goes out to those who won't be able to make the rescheduled date, but I'm fighting back tears of joy. Cal football is who I am and nothing matters more than The Axe. Can't wait to see you there, first round on me! Go Bears!!!!!!
bear2034
alarsuel said:

No one will care, but I have to share with the only group in the world that may understand. I'm writing this message on a flight from LA to Orlando (currently over Houston). This trip - Miami & Cleveland next was going to cause me to miss Big Game and end my streak of 33 consecutive. I have agonized over this for weeks, but I simply couldn't pass up the work opportunity. My heart goes out to those who won't be able to make the rescheduled date, but I'm fighting back tears of joy. Cal football is who I am and nothing matters more than The Axe. Can't wait to see you there, first round on me! Go Bears!!!!!!
Congrats on keeping the streak alive. Celebratory martinis for the 1st round!
RonO
alarsuel said:

Great story and congratulations! For me, by 1:30 Southwest from LAX was cancelled, and I was talking to the Shattuck where my paperwork touted 48 hours for cancellation. I started about what a consistent guest I was, and made comment about the cancelled football game. She didn't know yet, but talked with someone and came back with "no charge".
Sebastabear
alarsuel said:

That's a nice silver lining. Congrats. I am inordinately proud of my attendance streak - I definitely know what you felt. Glad that the fates conspired to give you a shot at keeping it going.
Vandalus
That's a hell of a streak. Mine was broken by a law school final, otherwise I would be at 20 years.
cal83dls79
alarsuel said:

glad for you. Mine was just broken at 38 years. Glad the game is at noon. May head to Boston for an alumni viewing party.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
calbear1994
Understand totally! So glad your streak lives on! I will hit 29 consecutive this year, and I'm looking forward to being wheeled on the field someday for my 60th+ game.
run2win
Unfortunately, due to the postponement, my consecutive streak will end at 45.
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
GivemTheAxe
alarsuel said:

My streak will be 57 this year. Total Big Games =58

First BG was 1959 (I was freshman in HS). Cal won.
Second BG was 1962 (I was senior in HS)
I have made every BG from 1962 to 2017 and barring some major catastrophe I will have 57 straight.

I came close to breaking my streak twice when I was in the Army in 1970 and 1971.
I had to volunteer in advance to be officer of the day on Christmas Day in order to have a guaranteed leave from Saturday before Thanksgiving until the Sunday after thanksgiving.

Also in 1980 I hurt my back (no surgery required). and was pretty much immobilized from Nov. 1 1980 until BG. I was helped to the game and had to stand the entire game with my back against the wall at the top of the stadium.
hotlanta
My Big Game streak went from 1969-1981, and 1983-1993, when we moved to Ireland in 1994. That's right, I missed 1982.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.