I see a pathway to the Rose Bowl in two weeks!

5,952 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cal Strong!
Calcupcakes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wazzu wins out and gets to Final Four.

We win out and get to 8-4. We would be ranked in the 20s and in front of both UW and Utah.

Rose Bowl can and will likely choose us to replace Wazzu.

I'm taking the entire family to Pasadena. Our office will close down that week because half of the staff will be gone.

Are you feeling me? Or am I just mad?
KenBurnski
Did Oregon drop out of the conference finally?
Calcupcakes
It would help for Oregon to lose to Beavers as well. But even if not. We would still have the same record. Head-to-head tiebreaker would not matter for Bowl selection, I think. And starving California bears would be a better draw for the Rose Bowl then stuffed ducks, no?
packawana
Only thing that matters to the Rose Bowl is ranking. We need Utah to lose and we need Washington to lose very badly.
76BearsFly
The mere fact this post was made makes me smile!! Two home games coming up while on a hot streak (pretty low- bar for the Bears) lends much needed encouragement to the idea that the Bears are on the right track.
heartofthebear
FWIW
WSU will not go to the playoffs.
Here are your playoff teams.
Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Michigan

are all undefeated

If they should lose once in there conference championship game it will still be a stronger record than what WSU has, losing to lowly USC, which will end with a losing record.

Of course, if USC beats Notre Dame (unlikely) that could change things.
USC has injury issues
packawana
I would argue that the Michigan spot is tenuous. Harbaugh has yet to beat Ohio State and then they'd have to take on a Northwestern team they scraped by against earlier. If SC pulls a miracle against Notre Dame then they also probably drop out.
TheFiatLux
Calcupcakes said:

Wazzu wins out and gets to Final Four.

We win out and get to 8-4. We would be ranked in the 20s and in front of both UW and Utah.

Rose Bowl can and will likely choose us to replace Wazzu.

I'm taking the entire family to Pasadena. Our office will close down that week because half of the staff will be gone.

Are you feeling me? Or am I just mad?

This is one of the greatest posts EVER!!!! You should get Hall of Fame Status just for this.

(edit: and if Illinois could go that year they went with Ron Zook I think at 9-3 playing a pathetic schedule, or that year Stanford went in 99 or whenever it was, we can go!!!!)

heartofthebear
packawana said:

I would argue that the Michigan spot is tenuous. Harbaugh has yet to beat Ohio State and then they'd have to take on a Northwestern team they scraped by against earlier. If SC pulls a miracle against Notre Dame then they also probably drop out.
Yes
You are correct.
Michigan is vulnerable.
But, unless Georgia loses to GT, Georgia would jump in the #4 spot.

Otherwise Alabama could lose to Georgia and all that would do would put both teams in the playoffs.

So, in summery, we need...
  • Michigan to lose their conference championship game
  • Georgia to lose once more
  • Oklahoma to lose to W. Virginia
  • WSU to beat Washington
  • Oregon St. to beat Oregon
and
Cal to win out.

The tough one is the civil war, although OSU can get feisty with their offense from time to time and anything can happen in rivalry games. Stranger things have happened in the civil war. And a key injury can change any game.

Also we need BYU to beat Utah.
XXXBEAR
You're not totally crazy...

For the Cougars to move up, Ohio State has to beat Michigan, Alabama beats Georgia, but can SC beat Notre Dame?

Yes Cal will be favored to beat Colorado, and the Big Game is a tossup, but the Beavers even at home, are unlikely to beat the Ducks. When the bowl committee makes their selection, Herbert and the Ducks big play offense is no comparison to our Toyota Corolla offense regardless of our feel good story...

But you never know...
PtownBear1
ESPN had WSU as under 2% chance of making the playoffs before this weekend. Guessing that's gone up to the 5-10% range now. They'll definitely need to curbstomp UW and the P12 south winner like they did AZ though. Small wins won't get them favored over the east coast bias.
Hail2Calif
heartofthebear said:

FWIW
Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Michigan

are all undefeated

If they should lose once in there conference championship game it will still be a stronger record than what WSU has, losing to lowly USC, which will end with a losing record.

USC has injury issues

As an FYI, Michigan suffered their lone loss to date against undefeated Notre Dame. If they lose to Ohio State, they'd have 2 losses - and I can't imagine a scenario they could still get in

Michigan's hold at #4 is tenuous enough (they struggled to put away Indiana at home while ND just overwhelmed #12 Syracuse), if Georgia beat Alabama in the SEC Championship Game I could see Michigan winning out and STILL being bumped out.

No way SEC Champ is going to be bumped off, and if you are the committee, no way you leave out a 12-1 Alabama team over a 12-1 Michigan team if Georgia is the SEC Champ

Not that I am an SEC fan, just stating my opinion. Alabama would have to lose to Auburn and Georgia to be out of the playoffs, IMHO
UrsaMajor
heartofthebear said:

FWIW
Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Michigan

are all undefeated

USC has injury issues
Michigan lost to ND. One loss teams aren't considered to be undefeated.
59bear
UrsaMajor said:

heartofthebear said:

FWIW
Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Michigan

are all undefeated

USC has injury issues
Michigan lost to ND. One loss teams aren't considered to be undefeated.
But if ND and UM win out, the Wolverines likely have the "best" loss in the nation....on the road to a top 4 team by less than a FG!
MTBear
You guys are all crazy - in a fun way. Like I said in another thread: Yesterday was a good day. Cal didn't lose, and SC lost.
I'm going for W W to close out the regular season. That would mean we would have beaten all of the teams we hate the most in the PAC. And, it would mean we would likely get into an excellent bowl, better than just what the record would indicate because of the story this year.
Rose Bowl in 2019 and in 2020! Go Bears!
TheFiatLux
MTBear said:

. That would mean we would have beaten all of the teams we hate the most in the PAC.
There was that little game against u....c... i can't even finish typing that out.
MTBear
TheFiatLux said:

MTBear said:

. That would mean we would have beaten all of the teams we hate the most in the PAC.
There was that little game against u....c... i can't even finish typing that out.

I know. That is why I said "the most." I have to say though that, except for recruiting competition and some coaching grievances down there, I've never really hated the other, very good, public university. It is Cal's job to better their play - recruiting, etc. so that we can look down at them from a sports perspective.
TheFiatLux
MTBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

MTBear said:

I know. That is why I said "the most." I have to say though that, except for recruiting competition and some coaching grievances down there, I've never really hated the other, very good, public university.
oh i actually LOATHE them more than usc.
510 Bear
MTBear said:

I've never really hated the other, very good, public university.
Yeah, me neither. UCLA - as in the university - is more similar to Cal than many people would like to admit, even though it's in LA.

I always root for them against USC and I know quite a few of their people root for us against furd. Go blue-and-gold CA public schools, show those evil red CA private schools who's boss.
Grigsby
The thing is getting to the Rose Bowl is about winning the conference.

Getting there because the PAC-12 champion is playing in the playoff is different.
TheFiatLux
Grigsby said:

Getting there because the PAC-12 champion is playing in the playoff is different.

no.
MTBear
Grigsby said:

Getting to the Rose Bowl via any route would be great. I agree that the sure and best way is to win the conference. That would mean you fully earned it. That is much better than somehow backing in.
bear2034
heartofthebear said:

packawana said:

Yes
You are correct.
Michigan is vulnerable.
But, unless Georgia loses to GT, Georgia would jump in the #4 spot.

Otherwise Alabama could lose to Georgia and all that would do would put both teams in the playoffs.

So, in summery, we need...
  • Michigan to lose their conference championship game
  • Georgia to lose once more
  • Oklahoma to lose to W. Virginia
  • WSU to beat Washington
  • Oregon St. to beat Oregon
and
Cal to win out.

The tough one is the civil war, although OSU can get feisty with their offense from time to time and anything can happen in rivalry games. Stranger things have happened in the civil war. And a key injury can change any game.

Also we need BYU to beat Utah.
BearInMotown
If the bears go to the Rose Bowl, I will be in Pasadena.
calgldnbear
If the Bears get to play in the Rose Bowl (the actual event not just the location), I am pretty sure there will be an onslaught of Cal fans trying to attend. Pretty much any Cal football fan stilll alive and kicking will be trying to attend. Myself included
510 Bear
calgldnbear said:

If the Bears get to play in the Rose Bowl (the actual event not just the location), I am pretty sure there will be an onslaught of Cal fans trying to attend. Pretty much any Cal football fan stilll alive and kicking will be trying to attend. Myself included
Pretty much. As we all know, we didn't make it in 2004, but right up until bowl selection day it looked like we would, and enough Cal fans were looking for tickets that it quickly became clear (as confirmed by people in the ticket biz) that ticket demand from our side would have been huger than huge.

We are to a Rose Bowl berth what Canadian NHL teams are to winning the Stanley Cup, as in it'd be a big celebration if it ever happened, but it doesn't.

Meanwhile, furd is like the LA Kings, as in it's happened multiple times this decade but is wasted on their lame fanbase.
kirklandblue
calgldnbear said:

3 things:
-I am definitely in line for some blue and gold cupcakes;
- I have the very uncomfortable feeling WSU will save their very most classic "coug-it" for the Apple Cup - I desperately hope not;
- I am reluctant to even bring this up but I have also wondered what the process would be to allocate availability of tickets to a Rose Bowl for Cal fans knowing that demand would be unbelievable.
TheFiatLux
kirklandblue said:

calgldnbear said:

- I am reluctant to even bring this up but I have also wondered what the process would be to allocate availability of tickets to a Rose Bowl for Cal fans knowing that demand would be unbelievable.

I would start being reaaaalllllly nice to Sebastabear!!!
kirklandblue
TheFiatLux said:

kirklandblue said:

calgldnbear said:

I would start being reaaaalllllly nice to Sebastabear!!!

I am ...writing..this..down..Thank you!
Bear8
Hey! We're losing focus. We need to beat the Buffs and the Furd and let the "cards" fall where they might. Play tough defense and decent offense/spec teams and we're 8-4. Go to a bowl and knock off the opponent and we're 9-4. That's a damn good season. It's like catnip to recruits.
KoreAmBear
Bear8 said:

Hey! We're losing focus. We need to beat the Buffs and the Furd and let the "cards" fall where they might. Play tough defense and decent offense/spec teams and we're 8-4. Go to a bowl and knock off the opponent and we're 9-4. That's a damn good season. It's like catnip to recruits.
That would equal our 1993 Alamo Bowl season. Go Bears!
socaltownie
Lol. If the bears go to the rose bowl for new years, I will be there, my wife will be there, my kids will be there, and i am digging up my dad, creating his body and bringing the ashes so he can be there. Will start as a cry like a baby watching the bears match down Colorado blvd.
KoreAmBear
socaltownie said:

Lol. If the bears go to the rose bowl for new years, I will be there, my wife will be there, my kids will be there, and i am digging up my dad, creating his body and bringing the ashes so he can be there. Will start as a cry like a baby watching the bears match down Colorado blvd.
Nothing will stop me from seeing the Bears in Pasadena (not for a UCLA game either)!
GMP
Grigsby said:

I made this point here back in 2004, in the lead up to the end of the season. People almost tore me limb from limb. I have now seen the error of my ways.

But, if you believe this, then you'd have to say that you have no issue with Texas or Mack Brown and how he politicked his way into the Rose Bowl that year, something that I have never seen anyone here argue.
ColoradoBear
Grigsby said:

Would rather go to the rose bowl than holiday bowl.

And how's it going to feel when we qualify from the CFB Playoff in a few years and play in the semi finals in Dallas and no Rose Bowl?

These are the times we live in, there's no going back, at least right now. If you wanted to say the Rose Bowl died in 1997, that's fine. But then NO ONE has gone to the true Rose Bowl since 1997.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.