Saban bored at Alabama and wants the challenge of SC?

1,968 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ColoradoBear
Trumpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And he can bring Tosh with him and he can start his movie career......
okaydo
Alabama plays 3-4 cupcakes a year. USC plays maybe 1.

Also, Saban wouldn't get a bye week the week before Thanksgiving like he has at Alabama.
ColoradoBear
okaydo said:

Alabama plays 3-4 cupcakes a year. USC plays maybe 1.

Also, Saban wouldn't get a bye week the week before Thanksgiving like he has at Alabama.

Clearly unwilling to compete.
OdontoBear66
Did you see the entire SEC schedule yesterday. It looked like cupcake Saturday where the banged up first strings of all the teams could get a day off and the depth charts could get their day.
sp4149
OdontoBear66 said:

Did you see the entire SEC schedule yesterday. It looked like cupcake Saturday where the banged up first strings of all the teams could get a day off and the depth charts could get their day.
SEC teams are emblematic of today's upside down thinking. Because they have sixteen teams they can't have nine conference games; so they have cupcake Saturday. Realistically if they had nine conference games, eight teams would have another loss and miss out on major bowl games or bowl games at all. The SEC knows that having only 8 conference games makes the conference look better by not having those additional eight losses.
bearfan93
it is a cupcake schedule but Saban has repeatedly said he wants 9 conference games so this isn't really on him
ColoradoBear
OdontoBear66 said:

I know people like to give the SEC crap for the late season 'bye' week, but after thinking about it, I'm not sure the timing helps the SEC versus other conferences. (The 4th cupcake game does absolutely).

The late cupcake game lets a team reat before their rivalry game, and means teams are fresher for the championship game, but then there is a MONTH off before important bowl games and the playoff semis.

If anything, the late rest means teams with less depth get a slight boost to heal - not the more talent loaded favorites.

UrsaMajor
ColoradoBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

I know people like to give the SEC crap for the late season 'bye' week, but after thinking about it, I'm not sure the timing helps the SEC versus other conferences. (The 4th cupcake game does absolutely).

The late cupcake game lets a team reat before their rivalry game, and means teams are fresher for the championship game, but then there is a MONTH off before important bowl games and the playoff semis.

If anything, the late rest means teams with less depth get a slight boost to heal - not the more talent loaded favorites.

I think it still helps in terms of rest for starters, Less talented teams may not be able to go with 2nd stringers long and still be assured of winning. Bama can play only walk-ons and still get 30-point wins over Birmingham Memorial Middle School or whoever they play.
510 Bear
LOL if USC really thinks for a second they could lure Saban. That would mean they think theirs is the #1 most attractive job in all of college FB.

Sure, LA is a good place to be a bigshot college/pro coach or player, but it's not THAT big of a draw.
ColoradoBear
UrsaMajor said:

ColoradoBear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

I think it still helps in terms of rest for starters, Less talented teams may not be able to go with 2nd stringers long and still be assured of winning. Bama can play only walk-ons and still get 30-point wins over Birmingham Memorial Middle School or whoever they play.
Of course they can rest starters. That obviously true. But that's not what I am arguing...

How is this an advantage versus other conferences when they don't play anyone from another conference for 5 weeks? Everyone will be well rested after 5 weeks. Late season cupcake or not.

8 games vs 9 is an issue. Shoot the Big Ten banned FCS games and now has a 9 game conference schedule
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.