Mac out at Colorado

2,990 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by going4roses
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will this help or hurt us on Saturday?

Also, why would Colorado decide to fire him with one game left on the schedule?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25311477/colorado-buffaloes-fire-head-coach-mike-macintyre
TouchedTheAxeIn82
I don't think it helps or hurts Cal. Colorado is a mess, and the outcome just depends on whether Cal comes to play or not.

01Bear said:

So they can offer Les Miles! Big splash hire! Oh wait...
TheSouseFamily
Smart move by the Buffs to do this now and get a head start on USC and others in the Condoleezza Rice sweepstakes.
TandemBear
Booth.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
This firing reminds me of the Big Game in 1956, when Cal was heading into the game with a 3-6 record, and was a heavy underdog to Stanford and All-American QB, John Brodie. Pappy Waldorf had several very successful years at Cal, in the days of unlimited substitutions. Waldorf was adept at using this rule to scheme substitutions. Cal had a big team, suiting up 100 players or more for home games, and Waldorf substituted freely. But in 1953, the NCAA adopted single-platoon football, where teams were allowed to substitute only one player between plays, and a player could only enter a game once per quarter. Waldorf's Cal teams had 0.500 seasons and two losing seasons, and rumors were that Pappy would be fired after the 1956 season.

Waldorf beat the admin to the punch by resigning the week before the Big Game. Support for Pappy among players and fans was very high. The Cal band went to Pappy's home and serenaded Pappy (who was in his pajamas). The Cal team was sky high for the Big Game, and led by third string sophomore QB, Joe Kapp, Cal defeated the heavily favored Stanford team, 20-18.

The firing of MacIntyre the week before this game could be a dumb move. If MacIntyre is well-liked by his players, like Pappy was at Cal, it is very possible Colorado may be really up for this game, and will have more to play for than they might have had. If that is the case, I hope the Bears are ready for a fired-up opponent.

SFCityBear
KoreAmBear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

I don't think it helps or hurts Cal. Colorado is a mess, and the outcome just depends on whether Cal comes to play or not.

01Bear said:

Yah is Kansas finalizing the deal with Les? Well there's always Hue Jackson.
71Bear
SFCityBear said:

This firing reminds me of the Big Game in 1956, when Cal was heading into the game with a 3-6 record, and was a heavy underdog to Stanford and All-American QB, John Brodie. Pappy Waldorf had several very successful years at Cal, in the days of unlimited substitutions. Waldorf was adept at using this rule to scheme substitutions. Cal had a big team, suiting up 100 players or more for home games, and Waldorf substituted freely. But in 1953, the NCAA adopted single-platoon football, where teams were allowed to substitute only one player between plays, and a player could only enter a game once per quarter. Waldorf's Cal teams had 0.500 seasons and two losing seasons, and rumors were that Pappy would be fired after the 1956 season.

Waldorf beat the admin to the punch by resigning the week before the Big Game. Support for Pappy among players and fans was very high. The Cal band went to Pappy's home and serenaded Pappy (who was in his pajamas). The Cal team was sky high for the Big Game, and led by third string sophomore QB, Joe Kapp, Cal defeated the heavily favored Stanford team, 20-18.

The firing of MacIntyre the week before this game could be a dumb move. If MacIntyre is well-liked by his players, like Pappy was at Cal, it is very possible Colorado may be really up for this game, and will have more to play for than they might have had. If that is the case, I hope the Bears are ready for a fired-up opponent.

How about 1976 when Stanford fired Jack Christiansen the week before the Big Game. It was the only time I ever saw a coach carried on to the field before a game by his players. At that point, I knew the Bears were in trouble and sure enough, Cal lost.

SFCityBear
71Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

How about 1976 when Stanford fired Jack Christiansen the week before the Big Game. It was the only time I ever saw a coach carried on to the field before a game by his players. At that point, I knew the Bears were in trouble and sure enough, Cal lost.

I'd forgotten about that one. I guess the message is that if your team is not doing well, don't let anyone know you are going to fire the coach. Wait until the season is over to fire him. Let sleeping dogs lie. Unless it is a last ditch effort to fire up the team.
SFCityBear
RonO
Today's LATimes has an article and the line, "George (AD) made the move now, he said, to inject some energy into the team because it can still earn a bowl berth with a victory Saturday over California."
Big C
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

01Bear said:

Oh, I think it is quite likely to help or hurt Cal. We just won't know which one until they play.
jy1988
IIRC, Mac won't be on the field this saturday, Roper will be. That might take a little wind out of the "Let's win the last one for Coach" sails compared to other Firing Games.
cal83dls79
Big C said:

TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

01Bear said:

Oh, I think it is quite likely to help or hurt Cal. We just won't know which one until they play.
with insights like this you should join booger, Jason and tessatore..no I mean it
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
UrsusTexicanus
My hope is Colorado will have the same motivation we did in 2001 when Tom Holmoe announced he'd be resigning at the end of the season. The following week the team was stomped 55-14 at CMS by USC. Not quite a rousing send off.
Beardog26
KoreAmBear said:

TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

01Bear said:

Yah is Kansas finalizing the deal with Les? Well there's always Hue Jackson.
I'd be fine if they hired Les Miles (not convinced he can re-create in Boulder what he did at LSU) or Mark Helfrich (would be happy to see him re-create in Boulder what he did at Oregon).

I hope they don't hire Dana Holgorson (which may result in Jake Spavital's return to OC in the Pac 12). What Holgorson has done with West Virginia in a challenging SEC is fairly impressive.
TheSouseFamily
I think you mean Big 12, BearDog, not the SEC. But yeah, let's keep him and Spav out of the conference. They're dangerous.
ddc_Cal
I dimly remember an interview with a coach, maybe Woody Hayes?, where he was asked about publicly resigning when he knew he was going to quit or move at the end of the season.

The response was that he had done that once early in his career when he was moving to another position. He said he really regretted it because the players 'weren't worth a dime after they knew'.

Here's hoping
Beardog26
Yep, you are correct, Souse. Thanks for the correction. I should've said Big 12 and not SEC. I've watched WVU play bits of a couple games this season and they looked both times. Of course they gave up like 45 points to lose Saturday to Okie St. Still, to 8-2 and 6-2 in the Big 12 is pretty good.
hanky1
Jeff Tedford to Green Bay after they fire their HC.
going4roses
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.