Cal

4,555 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 01Bear
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calgldnbear
Because we were screwed out of a Rose Bowl by some guy in knee pads

Because it takes more than one player to win football games, no matter how great or awesome he is

Because it takes an offense and a defense to win
cal83dls79
hanky1 said:

I think the more Germaine question is why we can't recruit 4 star qbs and receivers. Not that we need them or anything
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Bear8
cal83dls79 said:

hanky1 said:

I think the more Germaine question is why we can't recruit 4 star qbs and receivers. Not that we need them or anything
And the answer to the question is because we don't offer a Sports Management major for athletes.
cal83dls79
Bear8 said:

cal83dls79 said:

hanky1 said:

And the answer to the question is because we don't offer a Sports Management major for athletes.
we don't? Not surprised. All the jocks i roomed with or knew had to find some dumbass major but that was ages ago
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Big C
cal83dls79 said:

Bear8 said:

cal83dls79 said:

hanky1 said:

we don't? Not surprised. All the jocks i roomed with or knew had to find some dumbass major but that was ages ago
There have always been majors at Cal that can be a bit easier. Thing is, at Cal, they're also legit majors. Take the current favorite among jocks, American Studies. It also attracts future lawyers, academics, members of Congress and CEOs.
calumnus
calgldnbear said:

Because it takes more than one player to win football games, no matter how great or awesome he is

In 2004 we had a top 10 defense. This was our roster:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/california/2004-roster.html
packawana
calumnus said:

calgldnbear said:

We also just happened to be in the same conference with one of the greatest teams of that decade.

Frankly, I don't buy that Mack campaigning was all that was required to drop Cal. I could see those coaches doing it anyway because they simply value football from that part of the region more than football from us "pansy West Coasters".
Rushinbear
packawana said:

calumnus said:

calgldnbear said:

We also just happened to be in the same conference with one of the greatest teams of that decade.

Frankly, I don't buy that Mack campaigning was all that was required to drop Cal. I could see those coaches doing it anyway because they simply value football from that part of the region more than football from us "pansy West Coasters".
Wasn't one of Mack's relatives or former coaches a member of the selection committee? Yeah, as I recall there was more to it than just Mack going around begging.
UCBerkGrad
Because we are Cal
Bears2thDoc
UCBerkGrad said:

Because we are Cal
DING! DING! DING!
WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!
wifeisafurd
hanky1 said:

Dear Max,

According to the internet, which never lies, Cal is credited with winning 3 national championships, and has played and sometimes won, major bowls. There was this guy named Andy Smith for example.

In the modern era, Cal had a few chances. Rodgers unfortunately just loss to the team that won the national championship and is considered one of the best teams to ever play in the conference. Another team jus lost to one of the greatest Husky teams of all time. Goff was handicapped by being on teams that had no defense. It takes a lot to win a football national championship these days, especially far more money than Cal will ever dedicate to its football program (especially given all the other teams Cal wants to support and be proud of). But if you would like to make a donation, you could help.
socalBear23
Rushinbear said:

packawana said:

calumnus said:

calgldnbear said:

Wasn't one of Mack's relatives or former coaches a member of the selection committee? Yeah, as I recall there was more to it than just Mack going around begging.
Mack "knee padding it" forced the committee's hand. They were obligated to take them once they jumped into the top 4 (maybe 6). The real crime was the coaches. Its been a while, but there were at least 4 voters, who had never had us lower than 6, suddenly voting us in at 12 or worse...Then UT jumped us an the rest is history.
calgldnbear
Rushinbear said:

packawana said:

calumnus said:

calgldnbear said:

I believe Mack Brown's brother was the head coach at UAB and had a vote in the coaches poll
calumnus
socalBear23 said:

Rushinbear said:

packawana said:

calumnus said:

calgldnbear said:

Mack "knee padding it" forced the committee's hand. They were obligated to take them once they jumped into the top 4 (maybe 6). The real crime was the coaches. Its been a while, but there were at least 4 voters, who had never had us lower than 6, suddenly voting us in at 12 or worse...Then UT jumped us an the rest is history.

Yes, we were screwed in the coaches poll, but we would have gone anyway if the rules for the computers remained as in prior years (took into account margin of victory as in Sagarin's "predictor" which had us in a virtual tie with USC for #1 .
01Bear
Bear8 said:

cal83dls79 said:

hanky1 said:

Plenty of Cal football players, including star players, were highly intelligent in contrast ti the stereotype of the dumb jock. Heck, DeSean Jackson was a math major at Cal. As you all know, math's no joke at Cal. Joe Igber studied architecture (I think) and wound up passing up a NFL career to pursue a career in architecture.

Let's stop pretending Cal football players are dumb boneheaded jocks. That's just not true and unbecoming of Cal alumni and Cal fans. The student-athletes at Cal are every bit as intelligent as the general student body, if not smarter. They also work as hard as, if not harder than, the general student body.

Bear19
Bear19
01Bear said:

Joe Igber studied architecture (I think) and wound up passing up a NFL career to pursue a career in architecture.
I was curious to learn a bit more about Joe Igber - I definitely remember him turning in some really good games at Cal, during the highlight years of Jeff Tedford.

I came across this article - a lot of the information in it is dated, but Igber is highlighted along with Russell White. Bypass the stuff about the Stadium debt (it is old news) - the experiences of Igber at Cal along with his comments are informative of the challenges Igber went through at Cal as he pursued his engineering degree.

http://www.sfweekly.com/news/dont-hate-the-player-are-college-athletes-working-for-a-degree-or-working-for-a-cartel/

Joe Igber is working as a structural engineering consultant. Here is a link to his web site:

http://sedrconsulting.com/about-structural-engineer-oakland-san-francisco-california/

Note that Igber does not mention his football career at Cal at all - he only references his approach to structural engineering & projects he has worked on. This fits with how the SFWeekly article describes Igber's desire to let his work stand on its own - I think for him a matter of integrity.
01Bear
Bear19 said:

01Bear said:

Joe Igber studied architecture (I think) and wound up passing up a NFL career to pursue a career in architecture.
I was curious to learn a bit more about Joe Igber - I definitely remember him turning in some really good games at Cal, during the highlight years of Jeff Tedford.

I came across this article - a lot of the information in it is dated, but Igber is highlighted along with Russell White. Bypass the stuff about the Stadium debt (it is old news) - the experiences of Igber at Cal along with his comments are informative of the challenges Igber went through at Cal as he pursued his engineering degree.

http://www.sfweekly.com/news/dont-hate-the-player-are-college-athletes-working-for-a-degree-or-working-for-a-cartel/

Joe Igber is working as a structural engineering consultant. Here is a link to his web site:

http://sedrconsulting.com/about-structural-engineer-oakland-san-francisco-california/

Note that Igber does not mention his football career at Cal at all - he only references his approach to structural engineering & projects he has worked on. This fits with how the SFWeekly article describes Igber's desire to let his work stand on its own - I think for him a matter of integrity.

I stand corrected. Joe Igber studied engineering at Cal, which I'm sure everyone would agree is extremely tough and requires not just hard work but brains.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.