Sonny Dykes: "I remember that one"

6,152 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 01Bear
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

bear2034
Oh my, we gave up 800+ total offense, 700+ passing yards.
And it came down to a missed field goal right?
TheFiatLux
oskirules said:

And we won.
FloriDreaming
Next to that game the Rams-KC game was a defensive battle.

Goff mentioned the Cal-UT game in postgame tonight. Good stuff.

Tonight's game was one of the best football games I've ever watched. That was crazy.
71Bear
okaydo said:

No thanks. I'll take Cal's 12-10 win over UW or the 15-14 win over SC every time over the game cited above.

calgldnbear
oskirules said:

Wasn't it a missed XP ???
CalGrad95
I remember that game and the choke job against UofA the next week. The Dykes giveth, and the Dykes taketh away.
NeverOddOrEven
calgldnbear said:

oskirules said:

Nope, missed (19 yard?) field goal
GivemTheAxe
CalGrad95 said:

I remember that game and the choke job against UofA the next week. The Dykes giveth, and the Dykes taketh away.

I really hated that loss to UA.
If the Bears had merely slowed down the snapping the ball on 3 or 4 plays (and not snapped the ball with 10-15 seconds remaining on snap clock). Cal would easily have won
And the game clock would have expired long before that fatal Hail Mary pass.
Watching on TV were were yelling "milk the clock" "milk the clock" I guess SD didn't hear us.
GMP
Uthaithani said:

Tonight's game was one of the best football games I've ever watched. That was crazy.
He actually said Texas Tech. He wasn't referring to a specific game - just to places Sonny Dykes has coached.
calgldnbear
GMP said:

Uthaithani said:

He actually said Texas Tech. He wasn't referring to a specific game - just to places Sonny Dykes has coached.

I think he was just saying Texas Tech because Mahomes went there. Like it was a college type high scoring shootout between the two QBs

It was a sneaky way to slip Cal in there. Nicely done Jared !!!!!
packawana
I can imagine the young'ins watching that interview excited to see a Cal game based on the promise of high-scoring offense, only to be confused by the absolute defensive clinic being put up.

And yes, this is still football. Just a different style. Nothing wrong with it.
txwharfrat
71Bear said:

okaydo said:

No thanks. I'll take Cal's 12-10 win over UW or the 15-14 win over SC every time over the game cited above.

I love that you are being honest about the type of football you enjoy watching. I love seeing the defensive Cal games now, but I also loved watching the #Drop50 Bear Raid teams too.

My only point I would make here is that when people use the tired old phrase "NFL Offense" - I have no idea what they are talking about anymore. What does that mean, really? The NFL these days looks a lot more like the Tony Franklin System than anything with a fullback. Who even has a fullback anymore?
calumnus
packawana said:

I can imagine the young'ins watching that interview excited to see a Cal game based on the promise of high-scoring offense, only to be confused by the absolute defensive clinic being put up.

And yes, this is still football. Just a different style. Nothing wrong with it.

You play to win the game. I love seeing Cal win 50-45 or 10-6. Just win baby.
UrsusTexicanus
NeverOddOrEven said:

calgldnbear said:

oskirules said:

Classic couging it.
tim94501
I feel like watching cal lose games where we can't score is more frustrating than watching cal losses where we can't stop.
nwbear84
It's too bad we are choosing between the polar opposites instead of a bit more offense to go with great D. That said, the Big 10 proved for many years that you win more games with great D and nothing O, than the reverse.
82gradDLSdad
nwbear84 said:

It's too bad we are choosing between the polar opposites instead of a bit more offense to go with great D. That said, the Big 10 proved for many years that you win more games with great D and nothing O, than the reverse.

I think the Big 10 proved that if you have better players you don't have to throw the ball to win.
kirklandblue
UrsusTexicanus said:

NeverOddOrEven said:

calgldnbear said:

oskirules said:

Classic couging it.

One of the best in memory. XP, FG, whatever, it was a gimme and we got to see why "coug-it" is a real thing.
bipolarbear
calgldnbear said:

oskirules said:

Missed estra point was by Texas
TheFiatLux
CalGrad95 said:

Your memory needs a tune up.

We lost to UofA when a myriad of things that could go wrong did.

We THEN beat CU in overtime on a FG from Langford.

We THEN beat Wazzu in one of the craziest (and in fact fun) games ever.

That three week stretch was so crazy it garnered national headlines

Seriously man, my friendly advice, let it go.

wifeisafurd
calgldnbear said:

GMP said:

Uthaithani said:

I think he was just saying Texas Tech because Mahomes went there. Like it was a college type high scoring shootout between the two QBs

It was a sneaky way to slip Cal in there. Nicely done Jared !!!!!
There is a Cal c connection. Mahones was so good,, his coach told Davis, to become a grad transfer.
Calcoholic
tim94501 said:

I feel like watching cal lose games where we can't score is more frustrating than watching cal losses where we can't stop.
I used to feel , given the choice between good offense/bad defense, or the opposite, I'd rather Cal have a good offense because at least the games will be entertaining with a ton of scoring. But after having lived through Dykes and now Wilcox, I prefer good defense.
71Bear
nwbear84 said:

The math is simple...

You cannot lose if you give up zero points. You can lose if you score 59 (or more) points.....

Another Bear
The thing about the Rams Chiefs game is that both teams played good defense. It wasn't an all-offense deal. That's why the game was different from a typical Sonny Dykes Score-o-rama fest.

Did you see Ram's #50, Samson Ebukam? He scored two defensive TDs, had a pick 6. Mahomes had 5 turnovers and a lot of that was pressure upfront and good DBs that allowed that. Goff also coughed up the ball due to pressure.

Rams and Chiefs both have excellent defenses. Of course there were two great offenses and two great young QBs but the defense for both teams also showed up. That''s not Sonny Dykes.

p.s. Cal's 2004 team, top rated defense and offense...that's how you win.
GMP
txwharfrat said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

I love that you are being honest about the type of football you enjoy watching. I love seeing the defensive Cal games now, but I also loved watching the #Drop50 Bear Raid teams too.

My only point I would make here is that when people use the tired old phrase "NFL Offense" - I have no idea what they are talking about anymore. What does that mean, really? The NFL these days looks a lot more like the Tony Franklin System than anything with a fullback. Who even has a fullback anymore?
To each his own, of course. But I'd like to point out that in four seasons, Cal #dropped50 only four times against FBS opponents in regulation.
FloriDreaming
nwbear84 said:

This isn't true. Unlike Cal's offense, Big 10 offenses move the football downfield and score. Just by running instead of passing. And it's slower and more methodical. But they actually have offenses and don't rely on the defense getting pick 6's or scoop and scores for most of their points every game.

Cal can and should do a lot better than this "offense." A real running game that actually moved the ball and scored points would not hurt the defense one bit. In fact it would make it better. These stupid RPO's and gimmicks that don't work are worthless. Wisconsin had a smash-mouth offense when Wilcox was DC there. Cal has a smash-own-foot-with-a-rock offense. Not a Big 10 offense.
FloriDreaming
Another Bear said:

The thing about the Rams Chiefs game is that both teams played good defense. It wasn't an all-offense deal. That's why the game was different from a typical Sonny Dykes Score-o-rama fest.

Did you see Ram's #50, Samson Ebukam? He scored two defensive TDs, had a pick 6. Mahomes had 5 turnovers and a lot of that was pressure upfront and good DBs that allowed that. Goff also coughed up the ball due to pressure.

Rams and Chiefs both have excellent defenses. Of course there were two great offenses and two great young QBs but the defense for both teams also showed up. That''s not Sonny Dykes.

There's nothing about the Rams or Chiefs that is "Sonny Dykes." For starters, both offenses are a LOT more efficient. Dykes' offenses were surprisingly inefficient (though Baldwin has won the inefficiency contest hands-down). As has been mentioned, both the Rams and Chiefs have good defenses and very good DC's. Cal had Buh.

Also getting into the details of offenses, Sean McVay's offense is not a spread. Despite what we saw last night, Gurley is the centerpiece of the offense and they grind out a lot of yards on the ground, both with Gurley and Brown. They can score quickly, but they also usually win the TOP battle and control the ball and clock well.

People make too much of the demise of the Fullback, but with the plethora of talent available at TE coming into the NFL it's not a surprise. TE's are more versatile than the traditional FB, but teams are still running the football pretty effectively.
FloriDreaming
GMP said:

txwharfrat said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

To each his own, of course. But I'd like to point out that in four seasons, Cal #dropped50 only four times against FBS opponents in regulation.
How many times did JT drop 50? How many times has McVay's Rams dropped 50? Who cares??

You don't have to choose between having a good offense and a good defense. Good teams have both. We need to stop making excuses for Cal's horrible offense. I seriously doubt Wilcox is the slightest bit satisfied with Cal's offense this season. He knows exactly how lucky he is to have won 6 games with this offense, and how many games this offense has lost (or came very close to losing).
PtownBear1
Another Bear said:

KC has one of the worst defenses in the league. The Rams are also below average. They brought in a lot of pieces to have a stellar defense but suffered some injuries and are generally under performing.
Another Bear
PtownBear1 said:

Another Bear said:

KC has one of the worst defenses in the league. The Rams are also below average. They brought in a lot of pieces to have a stellar defense but suffered some injuries and are generally under performing.
Did you watch the same game? #50 had two defensive scores. The Rams sacked Mahomes how many times? Mahomes had 5 turnovers, Goff and a few too. KC put pressure on a good Ram's OL and got Goff. So while both those QBs are stellar (MVP level), made a bunch of outstanding plays, the defenses still came at them and forced errors. That's defense. I don't recall seeing that much with Dykes.
GMP
Uthaithani said:

GMP said:

txwharfrat said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

How many times did JT drop 50? How many times has McVay's Rams dropped 50? Who cares??

You don't have to choose between having a good offense and a good defense. Good teams have both. We need to stop making excuses for Cal's horrible offense. I seriously doubt Wilcox is the slightest bit satisfied with Cal's offense this season. He knows exactly how lucky he is to have won 6 games with this offense, and how many games this offense has lost (or came very close to losing).
That's not the point. I'm not saying you have to choose (though, with Dykes' offense, I think you do). He said he enjoyed watching us #drop50. I'm saying he didn't get to see it very often. Dykes' offense's efficiency numbers were middling. We scored a lot, though rarely #dropped50, because of tempo, not because our offense was all that great.

But I agree that our offense this year needs to be much better.
71Bear
txwharfrat said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

Several pro teams still utilize a FB. Having said that, IMO, there is no such thing as a single NFL offense. The pro's are all over the map with regards to their style. There are traditional teams, hybrid teams and teams that feature a new age look.
71Bear
GMP said:

Uthaithani said:

GMP said:

txwharfrat said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

That's not the point. I'm not saying you have to choose (though, with Dykes' offense, I think you do). He said he enjoyed watching us #drop50. I'm saying he didn't get to see it very often. Dykes' offense's efficiency numbers were middling. We scored a lot, though rarely #dropped50, because of tempo, not because our offense was all that great.

But I agree that our offense this year needs to be much better.
Cal was able to score a lot of points under the previous head coach because they gave up so many very quickly. There was no "secret sauce....
NeverOddOrEven
71Bear said:

nwbear84 said:

The math is simple...

You cannot lose if you give up zero points. You can lose if you score 59 (or more) points.....

This is a logical fallacy...

Taken the other way, you cannot win if you score 0 points. You can win if you give up 59 points.

That said, I prefer the solid defensive approach to the solid offense.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.