Didn't Realize Colorado Had Hired a Head Coach

2,884 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cal84
berknolongerclaimusc82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/05/colorado-football-hires-coach-mel-tucker/

Thoughts? I don't know much about him.
NVBear78
Some people say he's great but he's never been a college head coach and is going into foreign territory. Personally I don't see it...
71Bear
NVBear78 said:

Some people say he's great but he's never been a college head coach and is going into foreign territory. Personally I don't see it...
Following failure with an offensive guy at the helm, CU was looking for a guy with strong defensive credentials (hmmmm, sounds familiar). The background that Tucker brings to the job is pretty impressive. Much like his most recent boss, Kirby Smart, he spend a number of years working for the master - Nick Saban.

My concern would be similar to yours - the lack of experience working in the west. It will be interesting to see how he does in Boulder.
calgldnbear
He sure got a nice big fat contract
TeamBoomtho
The jury is still out. Sounds like he's an excellent recruiter (pulled in a few 5 stars), but has never worked west of the Mississippi. So final judgement will depend on what his staff looks like.
packawana
Tucker has put up some great defenses and Colorado can be a force if the right coach is in charge. Also interesting that they've decided on a defensive identity when SC, UCLA, and Arizona have decided on a markedly offensive identity now.
Cal84
Well they definitely had more money to throw at the hiring than we did. And for that they get a guy who was a successful DC at Georgia whereas we got a guy who was an unsuccessful DC at SuC. Still doesn't guarantee he'll be successful at CU. One thing that will likely be similar - it'll take him a couple of years at least to get the team reconfigured the way he wants it. He does have one advantage that JW didn't have - he will inherit an established QB, always a plus.
calumnus
From the Midwest and It looks like he has never lived or worked west of the Mississippi. Hopefully his reputed recruiting ability is directed east and south.

As with any defensive HC, a lot of his success with depend on who he gets as an OC.
71Bear
Cal84 said:

Well they definitely had more money to throw at the hiring than we did. And for that they get a guy who was a successful DC at Georgia whereas we got a guy who was an unsuccessful DC at SuC. Still doesn't guarantee he'll be successful at CU. One thing that will likely be similar - it'll take him a couple of years at least to get the team reconfigured the way he wants it. He does have one advantage that JW didn't have - he will inherit an established QB, always a plus.
Interesting, you mentioned only one of five places where JW was a DC. In case, you were not aware, Boise, TN, UW and Wisconsin were the others....
Yogi58
71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

Following failure with an offensive guy at the helm
McIntyre has had mostly defensive jobs in his career, including defensive coordinator for Duke.
6956bear
71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

Following failure with an offensive guy at the helm, CU was looking for a guy with strong defensive credentials (hmmmm, sounds familiar). The background that Tucker brings to the job is pretty impressive. Much like his most recent boss, Kirby Smart, he spend a number of years working for the master - Nick Saban.

My concern would be similar to yours - the lack of experience working in the west. It will be interesting to see how he does in Boulder.

He has worked with some impressive coaches. I am sure he has learned something along that journey. Many laughed when ASU hired Herm. They did much better than expected and he is putting together quite a nice recruiting class currently.
LunchTime
Cal84 said:

Wilcox came from Wisconsin that had a pretty ******* good defense when he was there. At least as good as this guy at Georgia (most recent data).

You act like we just hired a **** former USC coach. Wilcox had a pretty solid resume, and was a season out of USC with a very highly regarded defense in the Big10.

Oh, he was also a paid coach at Cal during Cal's rise, then coached a hell of a good defense at Boise State during their absurd run. A bad run under a head coach that got fired for losing a Pac12 Championship game doesnt make him a cast off coach, clearly.
Cal84
Don't get your panties in a bunch. Our HC hire is working out well. If you spend more on your initial hire, you get someone with a prettier resume. That doesn't guarantee success. Does it increase the chance that coach will be successful? Probably, but it seems there's a pretty high variance there.

Rather than get all defensive/sensitive about my post, recognize that there is no shame in admitting we took some risks in our HC hire. Most programs do. But while you are being so super protective of JW today, there's also a ton of you guys (am not specifically referring to you) that 8 weeks ago after our 3 game losing streak were calling for scalps, and not just of the OC. And I'm sure those people will do the same next year if we lose 3 in a row again - even as today they claim total allegiance to our HC. Pretty easy to be a flag waver now, but when 80% of this board was sh*tting on the team, the coaches, and everything else about Cal football, I said what I will repeat now: Calm down, take a Prozac, it will be OK. This is a general prescription for manic depressives.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.